Passcode removal from Ipod Touch 2nd Gen - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Passcode removal from Ipod Touch 2nd Gen

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
VROOM VROOM

Rep: 380 (Unique: 328)
So I work at a computer store. We repair computers, and we also recycle used computers that people don't want anymore.

Well the store always goes through the recycle bins and pulls useful stuff from the bins that we are able to use.

Well the other day a family came in a threw away a box that had a bunch of cell phones and an ipod touch 2nd gen with a busted screen.
We went through the bin, pulled stuff for the store, and after I asked the boss if I could have the two verizon cells for backups, and have the ipod touch. He looked at it, and then threw it at me and said have at it.

So now I sit here with an ipod touch that has a passcode on it that is preventing me from doing anything with it at all. Itunes won't see it because of the passcode, and no matter what I try I can't restore it.

I have tried everything I can think of to try and get this code gone and restored so I can put my own stuff on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 34)
I would hope it's hard to remove, aren't they there to protect the iPod/stop someone from using it in case of theft?

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
VROOM VROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infodump;14829982 
I would hope it's hard to remove, aren't they there to protect the iPod/stop someone from using it in case of theft?

that is exactly what they are used for. But they suck for people who need to legitimately get them removed. I just want to restore, so it isn't like I care about what is on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Can you get the device in DFU mode and force restore?

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
VROOM VROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infodump;14830010 
Can you get the device in DFU mode and force restore?

I have tried and it won't restore.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:49 AM
I do stuff

Rep: 245 (Unique: 215)
Force recovery and restore. Connect it to a computer with iTunes, press and hold both the home button and the sleep/wake button and keep holding both down until iTunes says that it found an iPod in recovery mode. Then just click okay and then click restore.

The trick is it needs to be in recovery mode before it will allow you to restore. DFU won't work because it's "Device Firmware Update" mode, not recovery mode.

Steam: Flatliner

Origin: FlatlinerG

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner;14830028 
Force recovery and restore. Connect it to a computer with iTunes, press and hold both the home button and the sleep/wake button and keep holding both down until iTunes says that it found an iPod in recovery mode. Then just click okay and then click restore.

The trick is it needs to be in recovery mode before it will allow you to restore. DFU won't work because it's "Device Firmware Update" mode, not recovery mode.

Wow that's way too easy tongue.gif I need to buy iProtect for my phone.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
VROOM VROOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner;14830028 

that would make sense why it wouldn't work then.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
VROOM VROOM

Hopefully we have a glass for it at work. Then I will be able to replace the glass and have a perfectly good ipod touch for pretty much free. biggrin.gif
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I do stuff

Rep: 245 (Unique: 215)
Quote:
Originally Posted by infodump;14830039 
Wow that's way too easy tongue.gif I need to buy iProtect for my phone.

You're missing the key point though, an iOS device cannot be backed up or synced without the passcode being unlocked first, so if someone gets ahold of it and they force recovery and restore, they can't get any of your personal information because the device has to be restored. There is no other way around the passcode lock.

If you put your own passcode lock on it and forget it, you can force recovery and restore, then simply restore from your backup and get your content back on your own computer.

Also, iPhones are different. If you're worried about someone getting a hold of it and using it to make calls/gather personal information, make sure Find My iPhone is correctly setup and working if you login to me.com/find before anything. Then you can remotely lock it, wipe it, or find it. (Find My iPhone is available for all iOS devices running 4.0 or later though)

Steam: Flatliner

Origin: FlatlinerG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in