Smartphones? Or spyphones? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Smartphones? Or spyphones?

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Smartphones? Or spyphones?

One of my friends describes anything except iphones as being "spyphones, the portable, electronic, government and corporate surveillance device!" He only likes iphones because their encryption is nearly impossible to break (allegedly).

But is there any truth to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:33 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
That's a garbage argument since you can get aftermarket opensource distributions such as Android Opensource project (AOSP) based OSes.

LineageOS (based on Cyanogenmod) for example.

From what I've experienced troubleshooting people's Iphones (i.e. relatives who buy into Apple ecosystem) people sign up for icloud once they buy their devices. With Android , Google asks you to sign in on first boot as well.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Madonion.com

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Every piece of hardware made since circa 2010 has a backdoor not to mention software and every device can be hacked. I'd say iPhones are most secure out of the box without any IPL/SPL/Custom OS ****ery and all that nonsense. If you wanna stay secure, use a Nokia 3310 or something similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Top kek

Rep: 114 (Unique: 67)
Quote: Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Every piece of hardware made since circa 2010 has a backdoor not to mention software and every device can be hacked. I'd say iPhones are most secure out of the box without any IPL/SPL/Custom OS ****ery and all that nonsense. If you wanna stay secure, use a Nokia 3310 or something similar.
ACKHUALLY, even old phones can be "hacked". If its electronics, and communicates somehow with the rest of the world, using Internet or radiowaves, it can be "hacked".

Previous Hardware:
Spoiler!
Desktop PC
(19 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8320
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
GPU
Sapphire Nitro+ RX480
GPU
XFX RX470 Singlefan
GPU
MSI RX580 GamingX 4GB
RAM
Mushkin Redline 996996 2x4GB 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
Maxtor 250GB 7200RPM 8MB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS
Hard Drive
WesternDigital Blue 500GB 7200RPM 16MB
Power Supply
Corsair TX850M
Cooling
ThermalTake Frio Silent 14
Case
ThermalTake View 27
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise 1607
Operating System
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Monitor
AOC i2267FWH
Keyboard
Logitech K120
Mouse
Bloody V5
Audio
Corsair HS30 Raptor
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Quote: Originally Posted by Damage Inc View Post
Not a bad idea except for the fact it seems like all cellular service providers are headed towards VoLTE. Verizon will not activate a new service for any non VoLTE devices.

Is it true voice communications are monitored by cellphone service providers (i.e. to provide marketing data)?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 119 (Unique: 103)
Out of box, stock vs stock. iPhones beat out Android 100:1 in the privacy/security game. No contest.

However if you compare modded Android (something that's literally a 0.1%'er thing to do) with custom roms, custom kernels, root access, ip tables level firewalls, entire phone routed through TOR, etc. Then a modded Android phone can be more secure and private than an iPhone by the same 100:1 magnitude.

(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard
Asus Prime X370-A AMD Ryzen AM4 DDR4
GPU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
RAM
2x Corsair Valueselect 8GB 288 Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 @ 2133
Hard Drive
Corsair Force LS 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
Optical Drive
Lite-On 24X SATA DVD/RW Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x 550W 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Noctua NH-L9A-AM4 Low-Profile
Case
Antec NSK4100 Steel ATX Mid Tower
Operating System
Mint 18.2 x64
Monitor
HP 24" LCD/LED 1920x1080
Keyboard
IBM PC-AT
Mouse
Logitech G5
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Asus Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
After a few minutes/clicks, reading news feed or watching some videos on youtube apk apknite for a few, they show me several relevant ads. And even in my friend's case, they just talking. How can an app eavesdrop our conversation? when I allow mic permission?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Unless you are not installing ANYTHING on either, privacy or security on either doesn't really exist. As apps are one of the big offenders. Another thing people seem to not understand is that Apple also sells user data like Android, it has been reported many times that the data set collected is one of the richest in the industry. Now, like Android, they claim it is all scrubbed of personal identification etc etc, how much of that you believe, or how secure the methods that are used for this and if they are not back traceable in some form, is highly debatable, but a few researches have been able to narrow down the data to specific people fairly accurately with the scrubbed data collected from both. And all of that assumes no backdoors built in that none of us will probably never know for sure if they exist.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:03 PM
RIP OCN

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Apple does not collect and store as much data as Google or others. Apple still collect, though, and iphones are still susceptible to exploitable flaws. While iPhones may be a bit better, it will generally come down to the user.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in