Why did MS fail in the mobile phone market? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why did MS fail in the mobile phone market?

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 15)
Why did MS fail in the mobile phone market?

I'm surprised MS has given up, so why did they fail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Microsoft has a long history of abandoning partners,
Neonode had a touchscreen phone built on Windows CE in 2003
but microsoft mostly developed their phone OS with Orange UK and left them missing deadlines when they didn't deliver on time.
The companies building microsoft phones then were mostly left buring without support.

Rebooting with Windows Mobile in 2010 was after both Android and iPhone had grabbed the market,
but that didn't stop MS from driving Nokia into the ground.

But on the larger scale, phone operators before smartphones had built up gigantic specifications and standards
making it a big effort to enter into the market only to deliver old, outdated technologies.
Android and iPhone sidestepped all that by providing the simplest phonefunctionality possible and then just connect it to the internet.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:11 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 890 (Unique: 501)
They failed to make the transition from enthusiast / professional users from the stylus and keyboard days of Windows Mobile 5 PDA's (the later ones with phone functionality) to the mass market adoption of multi-touch touchscreen smartphones that started in 2007 with the iPhone and then in 2008 with Android.

At first they laughed at the iPhone (there is a video of Steve Balmer of that) and then they took too long to adapt and made way too many break points along the way, which kept preventing adoption by both developers and users who wanted some continuity in their ecosystem. Windows Mobile 6 was still old-school and that's when they started to make changes, but the resulting Windows Mobile 6.5 only made superficial GUI changes in the main screens to be used with fingers, but the rest of the usage still had to be done with a stylus or keyboard as the GUI still hadn't been fully updated to the new paradigm.

Windows Phone 7 was their first serious incursion in the new paradigm, but at that point they were late (sales of handsets began in Oct 2010) and behind on features. It took them more time until Windows Phone 7.5 to add some much needed features such as copy paste and others, that the competition already had. Also, even though the system was now incompatible with the previous Windows Phone 6.5, it was also not fully modern and only supported single core CPUs. Then they went to Windows Phone 8, which was a much more modern platform, finally based on the NT core of Windows 8, but it again broke compatibility in the software ecosystem, at which point it was all too late. Windows 10 Mobile was supposed to solve it all with UWP (another break point), but at that point it was too late and the strategy of trying to use desktop users to the point of their frustration by shoving a mobile GUI in their faces starting with Windows 8, didn't work and the damage had been done. iOS and Android were too far ahead for developers to consider investing the time and money on a platform that had had too many changes in the past and was super late to the party.

I don't think that they gave up though. In a few years they will drop the NT kernel, and adopt the Linux one, at which point Windows will be like Android, built on top of Linux and at that point they will try again. Right now they are pursuing the "if you can't beat them, join them", so they are making their applications and services available on the competition, in order to make money, stay visible and relevant. When the time comes, they will make another push, with tablets and then eventually smartphones, even if it takes them 20 years, they will keep trying, slowly, but surely.

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Interesting and in-depth analyses. Thanks.

I remember back when the Xbox was launched some people predicted it would fail against the long established Nintendo and Playstation brands, because they didn't have many meaningful, exclusive, launch titles outside of Halo.

Nokia still seems to be surviving.

MS on linux, that will be interesting.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:38 AM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 43 (Unique: 34)
The apps weren't as good, nearly as many, or totally compatible with the Apple or Android ones, and you were left out of most of the new ones. Left out of the groups of people who's phones could run the latest apps.

And they failed to deliver a real windows os on the phone, even though they had it on lower powered tablets like the HP Stream 7 that had an atom and 1 GBram.
My daughter has a Leagoo T5c that has twice (8) the atom cores that can run at the same speed as that tablet and 3GB ram and the battery life is normal for a phone.
The Zenfone 2 also had hardware superior to low end windows tablets and the Windows desktop os was never made available.

Windows mobile was always fake windows like a windows RT version 2. That also failed in tablets. You think they would have noticed.

L5
(18 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5950hq
Motherboard
z97 Classified
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 G Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
16 G Team Extreme @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
2xSamsung 840 EVO 250G
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5
Other
Megatron
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb patriot 1600mhz
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
16GB 1600 generic
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
50" samsung plasma 720p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:56 AM
Sexagenarian

Rep: 28 (Unique: 21)
I had a windows phone , I quite liked it , but the apps were limited and that really hampered the usability .
I definitely preferred it to my current Samsung Galaxy S7 P.O.S. I would sooner go back to a dumb phone , but I have already bought the Samsung and will just use it till it dies .Not a mistake I will make twice .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by pony-tail View Post
I had a windows phone , I quite liked it , but the apps were limited and that really hampered the usability .
I definitely preferred it to my current Samsung Galaxy S7 P.O.S. I would sooner go back to a dumb phone , but I have already bought the Samsung and will just use it till it dies .Not a mistake I will make twice .
CNET, back in 2017, wrote the Samsung Galaxy S7 was the "phone to beat":
'The fast, powerful, beautiful Galaxy S7 phone is 2016's all-around phone to beat.'
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:33 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 870 (Unique: 574)
Nobody is going to develop for Microsoft phones without reason because they didn't hold high volume flagship or midrange status. If all your phones are budget or low volume then you won't gain appreciable marketshare. There isn't an ecosystem in place for its success, without features such as google cloud / icloud , google maps, and facetime (google Duo on android).

Want to pay for something? Where's the ApplePay, google Pay, or SamsungPay? Paypal was never officially supporting it either. Skype is on Microsoft phones because they own Skype. There's not an actual Discord app on Microsoft's app pages since they needed to use a port.

Android holds the highest marketshare right now because they have flagships such as the $700+ Galaxy Note / Galaxy S series , $300-500 midrange phones such as the Google Nexus / Pixel 3a / Motorola One / LG G series and Galaxy A series, as well as budget phones sub $250 such as Motorola G6 that actually aren't absolute garbage (particularly Android One phones which run stock Android). Outside of the USA Huawei has a substantial userbase. It's a full product stack from high end flagships on 5G all the way down to budget phones using TFT LCDs.

see https://www.android.com/one/

From a development standpoint iOS is the best option because the number of phones you need to account for is much lower and people can't download your apk files and pirate them. Granted the app store is much more controlled which may lead to problems if your app gets kicked off the iOS store.

Quote: Originally Posted by pony-tail View Post
Just put an AOSP-based ROM on it (see https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/development) or strip it down to Android instead of Touchwiz.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 06-25-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in