New battery - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New battery

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 17)
Ordered the ifixit bat replacement for the xt1575 Moto X Pure Edition smartphone. Just recently finished putting back together, works like a champ. battery calibration session atm.
Old bat.

Used this vid tut. Only part he left out is reconnecting the ribbon cable connectors. That both clip downward onto the plug for one and the pins for the other. I used tweezers and the spudge thing, took 15seconds. Overall took 2 and a 1/2 hours, tear down, cleaned old glue and back together. A lot easier than anticipated.
https://youtu.be/58bc3k4gNkE

Edit:
I used a wagner heat gun which helped out so much getting that back off.

still doing battery collaboration.
I charged it to 100% +2hrs last night, pulled it off charge it went through 6% for 7 hours with my screen off which is a lot better than before, I need drop it to where the phone shuts off of no power, charge it to 100% with uninterrupted charging. and it'll be completed.

Taking forever to drain, using brightness at highest and playing a waterfall 9 hour youtube video to help drain it.

And also I notice my phone isn't getting hot like it use to with brightness at highest and streaming.

Win10 x64 Pro, Acer XB240H, Corsair Obsidian 750D Black,DEMCifilter Corsair Obsidian 750D Dust Filter Kit,Delidded i7-3770K OC'[email protected], F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM, MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5, ASRock Z75 Pro3, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU, EK-KIT L240, 2 x NF-A14-FLX Fans, 2 x NF-F12 iPPC 2000, 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID 0 32KB strip, WD Re WD1003FBYZ 1TB,2TB HGST/Hitachi (HUA723020ALA641), Samsung SH-S223L.

Last edited by CynicalUnicorn; 09-26-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 07:53 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 344 (Unique: 243)
That's one thing keeping me from buying a more recent phone, one can't change the battery without heat gun and extra tools, risking damage to the device during a lengthy process. All done to sell more phones.
Takes about 10 seconds to change battery on my old phone. Calibration what? Don't need that, the only thing that can be useful for is getting software to better estimate remaining charge based on power usage and estimated/measured total battery capacity. For operation of battery/charging/discharging itself it is not necessary to calibrate anything, certainly not for single cell 1S1P batteries in phones.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 08:42 AM
Canada Goose Puncher

Remember to not double post. Please edit your post or wait 24 hours between consecutive posts. Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post
someone sig this

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
Does Motorola still make smartphones? I don't seem to hear much about them anymore at all.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 72)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Does Motorola still make smartphones? I don't seem to hear much about them anymore at all.
Yep. A few of the best reviewed new phones in 2019 came from Motorola.

Here's one popular review I found - https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...android-phone/

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by speed_demon View Post
Yep. A few of the best reviewed new phones in 2019 came from Motorola.

Here's one popular review I found - https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...android-phone/
I'm actually glad to hear that. Does Motorola still make IC's anymore? I remember they used to manufacture DSP's and CPU's (the PowerPC).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 04:43 AM
Meep

Rep: 306 (Unique: 223)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
That's one thing keeping me from buying a more recent phone, one can't change the battery without heat gun and extra tools, risking damage to the device during a lengthy process. All done to sell more phones.
Yep, its one of the many anti-consumer features in phones these days, unfortunately. Its not that hard depending on the phone, a hair drying and a razor blade does the job in a few minutes, give or take. I always order a replacement back glass panel with the battery as well(they're pretty cheap), so if you crack it, it doesn't really matter.

There's still one company (Fairphone) that makes a fully repairable phone with a swappable battery, and all parts available on their website. But for what you're getting, the price isn't great(and that's kind of an understatement).

Last edited by Gilles3000; 09-29-2019 at 04:49 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Yep, its one of the many anti-consumer features in phones these days, unfortunately. Its not that hard depending on the phone, a hair drying and a razor blade does the job in a few minutes, give or take. I always order a replacement back glass panel with the battery as well(they're pretty cheap), so if you crack it, it doesn't really matter.

There's still one company (Fairphone) that makes a fully repairable phone with a swappable battery, and all parts available on their website. But for what you're getting, the price isn't great(and that's kind of an understatement).
Only one company makes phones w/replaceable batteries? That's the pits.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:54 AM
Meep

Rep: 306 (Unique: 223)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
Only one company makes phones w/replaceable batteries? That's the pits.
Well there's a bunch of low end stuff as well, of which the The Nokia 2.2 is a pretty decent deal for €100.

But if you're looking for mid range and upwards, its just the Fairphone 3 as far as I'm aware.
Edit: And the price on that thing is awful, you could pretty much buy 3 non-removable battery phones with the same specs for that price and just junk them every time the battery starts to degrade.

Last edited by Gilles3000; 10-02-2019 at 03:59 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 04:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 72)
That stinks. When the LG G4 was released it proved that user replaceable batteries don't need to be difficult to swap or add cost to the device. You could even get a battery caddy to have a spare charged and ready to swap if you were going on a long trip or such.

Though I'm told the majority of people didn't bother to use the replaceable battery feature and so it wasn't even considered for future phone iterations after the G5.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in