Is this a good phone for the money?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_52

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
For the price it sounds like a good phone. I like the 6 GiB of RAM. It's too bad it doesn't have a replaceable battery. It doesn't specify what kind of headphone jack it has.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:51 AM
Avid Memer

Rep: 230 (Unique: 172)
Those specs at that price is a good deal. I have no idea how good the phone itself is.

Flagship phones (those are flagship specs) haven't had removable batteries in years. And it says it has a Type-C port, no mention of a 3.5mm port.

El Diablo
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon X5670
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth x58
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070
RAM
Mushkin 6x2GB XP3-12800
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203B
Power Supply
Corsair AX750
Cooling
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Case
Fractal Design Define R4
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Monitor
BenQ XL2420Z
Keyboard
Deck Legend - Fire
Mouse
Razer Lachesis
Mousepad
SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad
Audio
Astro A50
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:52 AM
Meep

Rep: 306 (Unique: 223)
Quote: Originally Posted by Thomas73 View Post
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb201603_52
Yep, sounds like a great deal, just make sure it has all the bands you need.

And one issue I have with this china domestic phones with "global roms" is that they're loaded by the seller, which is kinda janky. I'd personally get a chinese sealed version and load my own rom on it, but that quite a hassle too.
Edit:Unless I'm wrong and that these come with a global rom from the factory? You might want to ask the seller whether it's factory sealed.

Last edited by Gilles3000; 11-15-2019 at 03:57 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Yep, sounds like a great deal, just make sure it has all the bands you need.

And one issue I have with this china domestic phones with "global roms" is that they're loaded by the seller, which is kinda janky. I'd personally get a chinese sealed version and load my own rom on it, but that quite a hassle too.
Edit:Unless I'm wrong and that these come with a global rom from the factory? You might want to ask the seller whether it's factory sealed.
How can you load your own ROM on a phone? Is that like rooting a phone?

If you don't have a headphone jack on a phone how do you hook it up to an external amp? I frequently use my phone to stream music to my amp.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:51 PM
Otherworlder

Rep: 219 (Unique: 127)
Quote: Originally Posted by 8051 View Post
How can you load your own ROM on a phone? Is that like rooting a phone?

If you don't have a headphone jack on a phone how do you hook it up to an external amp? I frequently use my phone to stream music to my amp.
similar but different to rooting a phone, you're basically reinstalling an OS.

USB-C supports audio passthrough, you need an adapter cable to plug jack plugs.

trolling an adult is very dangerous, don't try it at home nor at work. you don't want to play tag with a rabid man.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
For the price it sounds like a good phone. I like the 6 GiB of RAM. It's too bad it doesn't have a replaceable battery. It doesn't specify what kind of headphone jack it has.
Given it sports a Snapdragon 855,performance should be good,As for Lenovo's ZUI,this is my first lenovo phone,don't know how good or terrible ZUI will turn out,also if it comes with a custom rom from seller,I wiil flash it factory original rom

Last edited by Thomas73; 11-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Thomas73 View Post
Given it sports a Snapdragon 855,performance should be good,As for Lenovo's ZUI,this is my first lenovo phone,don't know how good or terrible ZUI will turn out,also if it comes with a custom rom from seller,I wiil flash it factory original rom
Is this because you can't trust a non-factory ROM?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 06:19 AM
Meep

Rep: 306 (Unique: 223)
Is this because you can't trust a non-factory ROM?
Pretty much, you can modify a rom to do a bunch of malicious things.

I have no problem with public custom roms I install myself, because their code is public and people will find out if it has been messed with in a malicious way.

But you have no way of knowing what rom this seller installed and whether it has been maliciously modified by either the seller or the person that created said unknown rom in the first place.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 344 (Unique: 243)
Problem with getting phones direct from Asia nowadays is you're gonna get taxed + customs at least in EU since the limit for importing without tax and customs is so low phones don't fit that limit. So at +25-30% price + shipping... may as well buy locally a Xiaomi etc. if you can't find Lenovo being sold.
You would have to be in a country where you can import and not get taxed up to a high limit to make buying phones from Asia sensible.

Done it before, would not do it again, not nowadays when these cheaper brands are everywhere in shops even the smaller ones can be found. Makes no sense to bother importing individually, potentially get scammed, have no warranty, deal with customs, etc.

Updating Android and rooting it is a royal pain especially on Chinese phones that use Mediatek, you're almost never gonna root it unless you speak Chinese and manage to find a tool that can and isn't riddled with viruses/etc. Getting official OS updates, forget it. Installing custom ROM? Yeah if you can root it and do all the regular advanced things, you can actually find or make a custom ROM yourself for that specific hardware, Chinese phones don't get custom ROMs, it's often the popular western sold big brands phones that do, ...
Lenovo is kind of mudding the waters, it's a big brand but some of their products are hard to find anymore in EU etc.
If we are talking a pure China made, Asia only sold phone, good luck doing anything with it, what you're gonna get is what you're gonna have. No root, no custom ROMs, and almost no chance to find tools to fiddle with it, no updates. But it can come with a clean Android unlike the big brands sold in west riddled with customized crappy UIs and other issues.

No headphone jack? Pass.

Removable battery? Yeah they stopped offering that on almost any phone years ago now. I still have one and it's an old Andoird now. They don't want people buying batteries and keeping phones for a long time ==> they don't release updates to make phones obsolete in software support and glue batteries into a glued shell so that you risk breaking things or need a ton of hassle to replace a stupid battery when on my phone it can be done in 15 seconds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in