Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Official] Cooler Master ATCS 840 Owners Club

View Single Post
post #4155 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 AM
pvp309rcp
Intel Extreme 1366

Rep: 158 (Unique: 144)
My very first and simple loop completed. I ended up starting earlier than expected since I pulled an all-nighter (never again). I was doing some maintenance and cleanup during the whole process as well. Everything ended up taking about I'm guessing ~12 hours or so. I seriously underestimated the sheer size of the push/pull setup with the radiator. I actually had to take apart everything and remove the motherboard tray to put it in (lots of time wasted in thinking I could've put it in with all equipment put back together). More time wasted when I forgot to put the silver killcoil in where it was a serious pain trying to remove my compression fitting. Tried my best not to damage the tubing so I wouldn't have to worry about wasting it. Sadly I ended up scratching some of the fittings when trying to tighten them but isn't that normal?

That wasn't the end of it (in this case the reservoir extension that's part of the radiator) where the extension was a bit longer than I thought to fit at the top (about ~3mm extended out of the case). The little remedy I found for it was to remove the top power supply cover (the one that has two water cooling tubing holes) and it actually looks awesome. Plus If I have to refill the loop then I have that opening in the back when necessary.

When I had the tubing together, that's when I started filling the loop and tested it for about 2 hours on its own. I was actually scared of damaging the pump because I couldn't see that well if the water was going through or not (the tubing red color was a really thick color). I started noticing the difference though...some swishing noises when there were air bubbles in the loop (I think). Then just minor humming when the loop was completely filled. After some real experience with the pump noise...I found it to be a minor thing and just left it at 100%.

So as I've said...2 hours in testing for leaks with the standalone loop. I then finally put the loop in completed with my system and decided to do some real testing. Put in some paper towels and proceeded to run LinX test to put the CPU and RAM at 100% load. After about 15 hours of testing and some gentle tugging and messing around with the tubing...everything seems to be fine so I'm hoping that's enough for my system. Not a big difference with my last photo but here's quick picture of the system with the CPU loop now...

9828341.png

...and I'm hoping it will continue to run fine. Only things I will worry about is if anything happens to cause a leak, how long it will take for any type of corrosion to occur, and the fact that I'll have to completely tear down the system to really clean the radiator well of dust (but I'm sure I can manage some daily external dusting). I'll have better pictures up when I can for a better look but maybe after I'm done doing some thorough testing of this new setup. Hope you enjoyed reading this long water cooling experience story. thumb.gif

Ai
(42 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 990X @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard
eVGA E760 X58 Classified
GPU
2x eVGA GeForce 1080 Ti FTW3 Gaming
RAM
Corsair Dominator GT 6x4GB (24GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 2TB
Hard Drive
Intel 320 Series 600GB
Hard Drive
6x Seagate Barracuda Pro 12TB (RAID-6)
Hard Drive
Sans Digital TR8UT+B Enclosure 8x500GB (RAID-50)
Hard Drive
Sans Digital TR8UT+B Enclosure 8x1TB (RAID-50)
Hard Drive
Sans Digital TR8UT+B Enclosure 8x2TB (RAID-50)
Hard Drive
Sans Digital TR8UT+B Enclosure 8x3TB (RAID-50)
Optical Drive
LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray Burner
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified
Cooling
Swiftech Apogee Drive II
Cooling
Swiftech MCR320
Cooling
10x DarkSide Gentle Typhoon (2150rpm/68cfm)
Cooling
3x Sanyo Denki 9G1212G401 (4400rpm/130cfm)
Case
Cooler Master ATCS 840 (Modded)
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
2x Alienware AW3418DW 34" Ultrawide LED IPS G-Sync Monitor
Monitor
Sony KDL50W800C 50" Smart 3D LED HDTV
Keyboard
Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard Brown Switches