Hi Guys - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Hi Guys

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi Guys

Hi everyone my name is Alan, 41 and from Plymouth in the UK.

I have had this system for around 5 1/2 years now, but I am looking at building a new system at the end of the years and hand this one down to my 11 years son that is starting secondary school in September.

I was looking at the i7 9700k, but after watching E3 I am quite tempted by the AMD R7 3800x or the R9 3900x, will have to wait a couple of weeks till they are released and have seen some reviews and benchmarkings.

What are your guys thoughts so far? would love to know as i never had an AMD setup before.

Current system

ASUS X99-E
i7 5820k @ 4.5 Ghz (1.290v)
Cooler Master 240 AIO
HyperX Predator 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz CL13
ASUS STRIX GTX980-DC2OC
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
WD 2TB HDD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.18 - 14.03.53.95.png
Views:	11
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	274926  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:27 AM
Blessed to Serve

Rep: 15 (Unique: 9)
Hello and welcome!
I would say wait for the benchmarks of the new Threadripper to see if that the way you want to go. I am also for supporting the Red Team because of the price to performance ratio, which is usually in their favor. We will have to wait and see! After you choose your platform, then motherboard consideration will play a large role in your system, thus also being dependent on power supply and cooling!
It's a nicer time to be building a system because RAM has at least come down to reasonable levels again!

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in