Hello - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Hello

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello

Hello, just learned about this forum and am hoping to get some help with my new PC. First time builder, built around 2 months ago now. I'm having trouble with OCing my 2070 super. I use 3dmark to find stable core clock and memory clock, but as soon as I start up a game it crashes immediately, even when I roll them back all the way. In timespy I was getting +100 CC no problem, but games are crashing even with +50.

It seems to happen mainly in DX12 or Ray tracing games. Metro Exodus, MW, and Control all did this. Rtx was off in MW but I still didn't even get to the loading screen before getting a directx error.

Just trying to determine if my card just sucks or if I'm doing something wrong, as that last little bit of performance would help a lot in rtx single player games when I'm trying to stay above 1440p60.

My card is the EVGA 2070S FTW3, with a ryzen 3600x and 16gb of ddr4-3600 ram. Cpu is stock with pbo on, and ram is stock with manually tuned timings (the issue was happening even before I tuned them though). I installed GeForce Experience when I first got the PC in early December and my drivers have been kept up to date since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderators

Hi and Welcome to OCN!

Quote:
The man never feels the want of what it never occurs to him to ask for. - Arthur Schopenhauer

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 08:30 AM
What goes here?

Rep: 101 (Unique: 79)
Welcome to the forums!

You might try removing Geforce Experience as users are finding this causes many games to crash at random whether stock or overclocked. Caused more than one headache for gamers just on this forum alone.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 08:43 AM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 655 (Unique: 350)
welcome aboard

1.) download guru3d DDU
2.) download nv driver of choice(guru3d uploads telemetry stripped drivers, i'd recommend those)
3.) disable internet
4.) restart in safe mode
5.) run ddu
6.) restart, install driver, custom install, NO GEFORCE EXPERIENCE, no audio, no usb-c (unless you're using a VR headset or HDMI audio pass thru?)

7.) we need to know temps n stuff.

benchmark stable is not game stable, but you should still have more wiggle room.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 09:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 60)
I know that MSI afterburner does not play nice with Metro on my rig.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 09:22 AM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 655 (Unique: 350)
more specifically its probably RTSS that is likely causing your issue. you can setup per .exe profiles so you can still have your OC settings without OSD/RTSS telemetry.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
welcome aboard

1.) download guru3d DDU
2.) download nv driver of choice(guru3d uploads telemetry stripped drivers, i'd recommend those)
3.) disable internet
4.) restart in safe mode
5.) run ddu
6.) restart, install driver, custom install, NO GEFORCE EXPERIENCE, no audio, no usb-c (unless you're using a VR headset or HDMI audio pass thru?)

7.) we need to know temps n stuff.

benchmark stable is not game stable, but you should still have more wiggle room.
Thank you for the advice

Here's what I've done.

Done a clean install of the latest driver with DDU as you suggested. No GeForce Experience.

Unplugged headset

Still crashing in metro exodus with +100 core clock and +0 memory. Power and temp limit maxed.

Temps are maxing out at 62C
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by martinhal View Post
I know that MSI afterburner does not play nice with Metro on my rig.
I use precision x1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 05:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

I had issues with my power supply. It wouldn't hurt to test with another one if you could.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 06:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
I had issues with metro crashing with ray tracing enable at one point, I had to run the game with ray tracing off, but the problem seemed to go away all by itself with a recent metro patch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in