Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 524 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

post #5231 of 5392 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 522 (Unique: 329)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesselmid View Post

So you would still recommend using MBR for Windows 7 on a 240GB SSD?

I would.

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5232 of 5392 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 65 (Unique: 62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

You could always use gpt, i was refering to ssd capacity. If you wamt faster boot there are a lot of other requirements other than your os drive being gpt. If you really want faster boot, use windows 8.

Oh, okey. I know I could do much other things and I've done to make faster boot, but wanted to experience GPT myself, so I'll give it try! I'll skip Win8 and jump straight to Win10 when it comes out wink.gif

Btw is there any good updated guide to use Win Toolkit? I've only found one from here, which is little outdated and one from their forums, which is kinda diffucult to get in to.
post #5233 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 02:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Hi

Been on here a few time but never set up an account, now I'm stuck so thought I better had to get some good advice.

I'm trying to do a fresh install of windows 7 on a 128gb sandisk ultra plus but when I get to the screen that gives me the drive options I have tried to format it and clicked new to make the partition it says can't install to this drive check your bios. I have changed it to AHCI mode but then my bios doesn't detect any drives even though they flash up on a screen that's too quick to read properly just before entering the bios screen. It won't let me install windows with it in IDE (where it detects the drives) or AHCI (where it doesn't). It just gets to the same point every time! I have checked my bios is up to date, have the latest firmware etc, but still nothing.

I'm normally messing about with laptops and have installed 4 SSD's so far, with no problems. I put 1 in my PS3 2 days ago, very easy to do, so I thought putting 1 in a PC would be straight forward, so far I have spent half a day trying to do this seemingly simple task to no avail!

Please can someone help me, any ideas would be great!

Have to say thank you to Sean for the best guide I have come across. Usually use tune up utilities to do some of those tasks but I would prefer to not have an extra program running so will be doing them myself from now on.

Does anyone still have a link to the PDF version the 1 at the start is no good anymore?

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

Oh yeah, also... BACON!

post-flame-small.gif-/-AMD Phenom II x4 Deneb Owner's Club-\-post-flame-small.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5234 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Storage Nut

Rep: 1660 (Unique: 967)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post

Oh, okey. I know I could do much other things and I've done to make faster boot, but wanted to experience GPT myself, so I'll give it try! I'll skip Win8 and jump straight to Win10 when it comes out wink.gif

Btw is there any good updated guide to use Win Toolkit? I've only found one from here, which is little outdated and one from their forums, which is kinda diffucult to get in to.

I am not sure. I haven't used it in a long while either. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist-Jay View Post

Hi

Been on here a few time but never set up an account, now I'm stuck so thought I better had to get some good advice.

I'm trying to do a fresh install of windows 7 on a 128gb sandisk ultra plus but when I get to the screen that gives me the drive options I have tried to format it and clicked new to make the partition it says can't install to this drive check your bios. I have changed it to AHCI mode but then my bios doesn't detect any drives even though they flash up on a screen that's too quick to read properly just before entering the bios screen. It won't let me install windows with it in IDE (where it detects the drives) or AHCI (where it doesn't). It just gets to the same point every time! I have checked my bios is up to date, have the latest firmware etc, but still nothing.

I'm normally messing about with laptops and have installed 4 SSD's so far, with no problems. I put 1 in my PS3 2 days ago, very easy to do, so I thought putting 1 in a PC would be straight forward, so far I have spent half a day trying to do this seemingly simple task to no avail!

Please can someone help me, any ideas would be great!

Have to say thank you to Sean for the best guide I have come across. Usually use tune up utilities to do some of those tasks but I would prefer to not have an extra program running so will be doing them myself from now on.

Does anyone still have a link to the PDF version the 1 at the start is no good anymore?

When you use AHCI you may have to just load your SATA driver manually during install so the drive shows up. What motherboard are you using?

I also just the PDF link. Sorry about that, been busy.

SSD GURU
Storage Essentials | My Server Build Log
"Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!"
Main Rig
(15 items)
Terrorbyte V2
(16 items)
CPU
i7-6700K @4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z170 OC Formula
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC
RAM
32GB Patriot Viper Elite @2666MHz
Hard Drive
480GB ADATA SX8200
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 960 EVO
Hard Drive
2TB HP EX950
Power Supply
Corsair RM650
Cooling
Thermaltake Silver Arrow
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Keyboard
Patriot Viper V760
Mouse
Patriot Viper V560
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximux IV Extreme
RAM
32GB (2x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro @2.4GHz
Hard Drive
2TB WD Red
Hard Drive
2TB Samung Spinpoint F4
Hard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Hard Drive
3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14
Hard Drive
8TB HGST Ultrastar He8
Hard Drive
4TB Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
Corsair 650TX
Case
Norco RPC 4224
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Other
LSI 9261-8i
Other
Intel RES2CV240
CPU
Intel Core i7 9700K @5GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
RAM
16GB (2x 8GB) Kingston HyperX Predator RGB @3.6GHz
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 905P 1.5TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Other
ASRock TB3 AiC
▲ hide details ▲

post #5235 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 09:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Fantastic guide!

post #5236 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 155 (Unique: 92)
Disabling the page file gave me so much trouble that i start using it again, so not all "optimizations" are actually beneficial and can really do harm on Windows so be careful what you are doing especially with regestry editing.

Windows doesn't like to be tweaked and some things are just there for a reason and when you disable these things or settings it can really mes up your OS over time.

I got the weirdest issues while i was "optimizing" windows so i stopped and revert everything and its working fine again.

Also the tutorial on making an custom OS with drivers etc. is not working and gives all kinds of weird issues.

hurricane
(13 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 2600x
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair hero 7
GPU
MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G
RAM
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V850
Cooling
Alphacool Eisbaer 360
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus VG248Q
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G900
Audio
logitech Z-2300
▲ hide details ▲
post #5237 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
Storage Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Disabling the page file gave me so much trouble that i start using it again, so not all "optimizations" are actually beneficial and can really do harm on Windows so be careful what you are doing especially with regestry editing.

Windows doesn't like to be tweaked and some things are just there for a reason and when you disable these things or settings it can really mes up your OS over time.

I got the weirdest issues while i was "optimizing" windows so i stopped and revert everything and its working fine again.

Also the tutorial on making an custom OS with drivers etc. is not working and gives all kinds of weird issues.

Well, that is why I say to simply shrink it and not to disable it. ;)

I can make a custom OS w/ updates no issue. I just did one the other day using Win Toolkit.

SSD GURU
"Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!"
Main Rig
(15 items)
Terrorbyte V2
(16 items)
CPU
i7-6700K @4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z170 OC Formula
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
480GB ADATA SX8200
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 960 EVO
Hard Drive
2TB HP EX950
Power Supply
Corsair RM650
Cooling
Thermaltake Silver Arrow
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Keyboard
Patriot Viper V760
Mouse
Patriot Viper V560
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximux IV Extreme
RAM
Hard Drive
2TB WD Red
Hard Drive
2TB Samung Spinpoint F4
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
8TB HGST Ultrastar He8
Hard Drive
4TB Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
Corsair 650TX
Case
Norco RPC 4224
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Other
LSI 9261-8i
Other
Intel RES2CV240
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA 500W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Other
ASRock TB3 AiC
▲ hide details ▲

post #5238 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 155 (Unique: 92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Well, that is why I say to simply shrink it and not to disable it. wink.gif

I can make a custom OS w/ updates no issue. I just did one the other day using Win Toolkit.

Even when i shrink it to 2048mb i get weird issues in Windows like my some programs don't start normally on a cold boot so i have to restart in order to get them working again..

Also my desktop gadgets don always run on a cold boot and sometimes i have to do several restarts in order to get them to work..

I also tried the win toolkit and it doesn't work at all.. i installed my chipset drivers and installed the windows but i get nothing but trouble with it, IMO just install a normal WIndows and leave it a lone if you want to make it work correctly.

These so called "optimizations" are nothing but trouble and causes Windows corruption.. the only things you can disable is hybernation and trim etc. the rest causing windows corruptions and other weird issues...

hurricane
(13 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 2600x
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair hero 7
GPU
MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G
RAM
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V850
Cooling
Alphacool Eisbaer 360
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus VG248Q
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G900
Audio
logitech Z-2300
▲ hide details ▲
post #5239 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Storage Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Even when i shrink it to 2048mb i get weird issues in Windows like my some programs don't start normally on a cold boot so i have to restart in order to get them working again..

Also my desktop gadgets don always run on a cold boot and sometimes i have to do several restarts in order to get them to work..

I also tried the win toolkit and it doesn't work at all.. i installed my chipset drivers and installed the windows but i get nothing but trouble with it, IMO just install a normal WIndows and leave it a lone if you want to make it work correctly.

These so called "optimizations" are nothing but trouble and causes Windows corruption.. the only things you can disable is hybernation and trim etc. the rest causing windows corruptions and other weird issues...

Seems like your Windows image is corrupt or you have corrupt hardware or drivers. Otherwise this is the first i've heard of your issues. Nothing here causes Windows corruption. Guaranteed. Tell me what you think causes corruptions in the install and optimization guide?

And Win Toolkit does work fine. You just don't know what you are doing apparently. I'm making a Windows 8.1 Update ISO with it now...and like I said, I made a Windows 7 one the other day.

SSD GURU
Main Rig
(15 items)
Terrorbyte V2
(16 items)
CPU
i7-6700K @4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z170 OC Formula
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
480GB ADATA SX8200
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 960 EVO
Hard Drive
2TB HP EX950
Power Supply
Corsair RM650
Cooling
Thermaltake Silver Arrow
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Keyboard
Patriot Viper V760
Mouse
Patriot Viper V560
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximux IV Extreme
RAM
Hard Drive
2TB WD Red
Hard Drive
2TB Samung Spinpoint F4
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
8TB HGST Ultrastar He8
Hard Drive
4TB Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
Corsair 650TX
Case
Norco RPC 4224
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Other
LSI 9261-8i
Other
Intel RES2CV240
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA 500W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Other
ASRock TB3 AiC
▲ hide details ▲

post #5240 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I'd just like to throw in this... I live and breath this guide everyday, keep a print-out of the PDF version in my drawer all the time. I've done countless installations of a number of computers, my own, parents' computer, each worked flawlessly every time, no issues no troubles.

I work on my desktop and laptop everyday with a very deep feeling of satisfaction and gratitude towards this guide... it just makes my life better to be able to do my work with no computer-related headaches. Everything just works and works perfectly... so thanks a billion Sean! biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in