Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs - Page 525 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

post #5241 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 155 (Unique: 92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Seems like your Windows image is corrupt or you have corrupt hardware or drivers. Otherwise this is the first i've heard of your issues. Nothing here causes Windows corruption. Guaranteed. Tell me what you think causes corruptions in the install and optimization guide?

And Win Toolkit does work fine. You just don't know what you are doing apparently. I'm making a Windows 8.1 Update ISO with it now...and like I said, I made a Windows 7 one the other day.

At first i disabled the page file and i got all kinds of errors, than i set it to 2048mb and still have weird issues like my desktop gadgets won't start at a cold boot, HWINFO64 won't boot, internet browser freezing and acting weird, the list goes on and on.

Now i am using page file again and the problems are not there anymore, so there is no other conclusion that messing with page file cause all kinds of problems.. Also a lot of programs actually utilize the page file so messing with it can only causing problems, period. I played a few games that need the page file and when ever i set it to 2048 or even 4096mb i still get problems and error codes, so for better performance and a correct working windows, leave the page file a lone.

I have no virus or malware or anything else for that matter because i have NOD32 internet security and malwarebytes installed and those are to be considered one of the best programs to have.

I also run sfc/scannow to see if there are any corrupted files but there were none, windows also feels just a lot better when i start using page file again. Its there for a reason it seems and it doesn't like it if you mess with it.

I tried inserting my chipset drivers in a windows and i have nothing but trouble with my chipset drivers and now i cannot install anything else anymore, so i need to do a fresh install all over again in order for the chipset drivers to work properly again.

I don't know what went wrong because i only inserted my AMD chipset drivers in that particular windows but i get nothing but troubles and it seems i cannot remove the drivers in order to install new or older ones.

hurricane
(13 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 2600x
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair hero 7
GPU
MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G
RAM
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V850
Cooling
Alphacool Eisbaer 360
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus VG248Q
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G900
Audio
logitech Z-2300
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5242 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 12:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Hi Sean

Thanks for the quick response, would have got back to you sooner but the morons doing work on my block of flats managed to cut through my broadband cable on Thursday and it has only just been sorted today!

I am currently using a Foxconn A74ML-K mobo. Not quite sure what you mean by installing the SATA drivers manually? How would I go about doing that before I get windows on the thing? Where are they being installed too? The drive does show up on the installing windows screen where it gives me the options to format it and create a new partition but won't let me partition the drive to put windows on.
Also do you have any idea why changing to AHCI would make my DVD drive not recognised in the BIOS as well as the SSD?

Sorry if some of these questions are a bit noobish but I am more of a mechanic than a programmer!

Thanks for the PDF link, the saved web page I was using was being a bit temperamental.

@hurricane28, sounds like you're having a bit of a bad time. I have used this guide to install and set up Windows 7 4 times since I came across it last week and everything has been working nice and smooth for me.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

Oh yeah, also... BACON!

post-flame-small.gif-/-AMD Phenom II x4 Deneb Owner's Club-\-post-flame-small.gif
post #5243 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 155 (Unique: 92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist-Jay View Post

Hi Sean

Thanks for the quick response, would have got back to you sooner but the morons doing work on my block of flats managed to cut through my broadband cable on Thursday and it has only just been sorted today!

I am currently using a Foxconn A74ML-K mobo. Not quite sure what you mean by installing the SATA drivers manually? How would I go about doing that before I get windows on the thing? Where are they being installed too? The drive does show up on the installing windows screen where it gives me the options to format it and create a new partition but won't let me partition the drive to put windows on.
Also do you have any idea why changing to AHCI would make my DVD drive not recognised in the BIOS as well as the SSD?

Sorry if some of these questions are a bit noobish but I am more of a mechanic than a programmer!

Thanks for the PDF link, the saved web page I was using was being a bit temperamental.

@hurricane28, sounds like you're having a bit of a bad time. I have used this guide to install and set up Windows 7 4 times since I came across it last week and everything has been working nice and smooth for me.

Yeah man, i starting to dislike Windows a great deal because of these stupid problems.

Lately i have all kinds of strange problems, especially with the Windows updates. One in particular causes me chipset issues, after deleting it the problem is still there.

There is no other solution than to reinstall Windows again i am afraid...

hurricane
(13 items)
CPU
AMD RYZEN 2600x
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair hero 7
GPU
MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G
RAM
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB
Power Supply
Cooler Master V850
Cooling
Alphacool Eisbaer 360
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus VG248Q
Keyboard
Logitech G910
Mouse
Logitech G900
Audio
logitech Z-2300
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5244 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 04:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
Hey guys, i still check this guide everytime i reinstall windows 7 64 on my little sugo, so thank a lot Sean. Most of the thing i did learn went from Ocn, i own you many cookies guys. Now i really hope i am not disturbing anyone or going off-topic, if so please delete or move this post. I'm quite surprised that many people are using windows 8/8.1/10. I didn't find any windows 7 vs windows 10 thread here on ocn, but or i am gonna be too aged, or i just think all non windows 7 users are just crazy. I mean, i love this system, nothing is more customizable and easy to understand than 7, i hate apps, and for what i know there's no way to get 8/8.1/10 without apps/cloud/windows live and such boring stuffs i don't need. I mean, i think really that my operating system, more than all, must meet my needs, and only those, nothing more. My CPU must work just for me, not for any other process, apart from what i am doing at a specified time, plus basic system operations. 7 does this for me. As for the future of all goods, customization is the most important thing, that's what i know as a marketing manager. My windows 7 has half of the services down, never had a single issue, startup time is 11-12 secs with a samsung ssd, no hybernation, suspend or such. My pc is now 5 years old, it still does his job so good, i did try, and try again windows 8, and a week ago i tested windows 10, such a disappointment, i really cannot believe it seems that windows is taking a smartphone system direction. I can understand some useless gadget easily disinstallable from 7, but 8.1 and 10 are just like a super furnished house when i just asked for walls. Hope i'm not offending anyone, would be really interested to know if i'm alone on this thought, or someone there, between many hardware enthusiast like i am (mostly thankful to this forum, where i read so much and write so rarely), have something to say about it. Maybe i could learn something. Thanks to those trying to undestand my crappy english, hope someone can comment this in any way. Have a nice evening smile.gif
post #5245 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 07:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Alright people?

Hurricane, looks like you may have to bite the bullet and go for the fresh install! If windows starts not running right for me and none of the conventional methods (ie. ccleaner) solve the problems. I don't have much knowledge when it comes to programming, so it's backup my data and reinstall windows! Not much of a problem for me as I always have plenty of hard drives knocking about. All running smooth again in around 2 hours.

Batou, totally agree mate, 7 was the peak. I'm using windows either on a laptop or a pc not a tablet! What are all the tiles about? Why is there no UI options? They gave a glimmer of hope with the 8.1 update that was supposed to bring back the start menu but all they did was bring back the start button, it still takes you to the same annoying selection of tiles! Total let down. Now I have read that 7 is a bit chunky because it's built on top of vista which is built on top of xp, whereas 8 is supposed to be a fresh start from the ground up which is why it has quicker boot, is more responsive etc. but why couldn't they have done that but kept it the same layout as 7 rather than the gimmicky, touch screen oriented shambles that they created? At the very least they should have built in a UI option that let you choose between 7 style or the tiles!
Saying that though, I can't really say I've ever had a problem with its chunkyness. Every laptop of pc I have put it on has run it fine, the load up time wasn't always brilliant but this can now be solved by an ssd (if I ever get the thing to work in my pc).
I consider myself to be quite lucky as I managed to get hold of a completely bare version of 7 professional so I can add only the things I want. Unlike all the copies of 8 I have had that are rammed full of useless rubbish that I don't want. I haven't tried out 10 yet and from what you say I probably won't bother.
So for the years of service it has done me (and what looks like many years to come) I must thank microsoft for creating windows 7.

And also Sean for sharing his knowledge!

Peace

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Hunter S. Thompson

Oh yeah, also... BACON!

post-flame-small.gif-/-AMD Phenom II x4 Deneb Owner's Club-\-post-flame-small.gif
post #5246 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Question. I need to change my SSD drive to a larger one and will most likely have to reinstall windows. If I've used both licenses, will I run into a problem reinstalling Win7 again? Will I have to get Microsoft to unlock the license or something?

Thanks...Al

"Remember, never be afraid to try something new, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

4.7ghz
Firestrike
Build in Progress
post #5247 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Storage Nut

Rep: 1660 (Unique: 967)
Quote:

Did you get it working?

Quote:

Because the SATA chipset is not detected by windows/windows does not have the proper sata chipset driver to detect it. Thus you load the chipset inf driver, you need to download it from the mobo manufacturers site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical View Post

Question. I need to change my SSD drive to a larger one and will most likely have to reinstall windows. If I've used both licenses, will I run into a problem reinstalling Win7 again? Will I have to get Microsoft to unlock the license or something?

Thanks...Al

Just clone it over, the license is simply tied to the motherboard. That is all. No reinstall and now reactivation needed. Just clone. 

SSD GURU
Storage Essentials | My Server Build Log
"Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!"
Main Rig
(15 items)
Terrorbyte V2
(16 items)
CPU
i7-6700K @4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z170 OC Formula
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC
RAM
32GB Patriot Viper Elite @2666MHz
Hard Drive
480GB ADATA SX8200
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 960 EVO
Hard Drive
2TB HP EX950
Power Supply
Corsair RM650
Cooling
Thermaltake Silver Arrow
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Keyboard
Patriot Viper V760
Mouse
Patriot Viper V560
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximux IV Extreme
RAM
32GB (2x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro @2.4GHz
Hard Drive
2TB WD Red
Hard Drive
2TB Samung Spinpoint F4
Hard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Hard Drive
3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14
Hard Drive
8TB HGST Ultrastar He8
Hard Drive
4TB Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
Corsair 650TX
Case
Norco RPC 4224
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Other
LSI 9261-8i
Other
Intel RES2CV240
CPU
Intel Core i7 9700K @5GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
RAM
16GB (2x 8GB) Kingston HyperX Predator RGB @3.6GHz
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 905P 1.5TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Other
ASRock TB3 AiC
▲ hide details ▲

post #5248 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Senioritis Member

Rep: 522 (Unique: 329)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Quote:

Did you get it working?
Quote:
Because the SATA chipset is not detected by windows/windows does not have the proper sata chipset driver to detect it. Thus you load the chipset inf driver, you need to download it from the mobo manufacturers site.
Quote:

Thanks...Al
Just clone it over, the license is simply tied to the motherboard. That is all. No reinstall and now reactivation needed. Just clone. 

X2 on the cloning. I've done it several times. A good program to use is Macrium Reflect Free (here is a good tutorial on how to use Macrium Reflect).

Jeannie
CPU
i7-3930k
Motherboard
ASUS P9X79 WS
GPU
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
GPU
Monoprice 1x2 powered HDMI Splitter
RAM
Kingston HyperX 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K8/32GX
Hard Drive
128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
Optical Drive
LG 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive CH12LS28
Power Supply
Corsair HX750W
Cooling
COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler
Case
Antec Two Hundred v2
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
3 x Asus VG248QE
Monitor
Vizio VO320E 32" TV
Keyboard
Logitech G510s
Mouse
Logitech M525 with Unifying Receiving
Audio
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card
Other
LSI 9211-8i HBA card
Other
HooToo® HT-CR001 3.5" PCI-E to USB 3.0 Multi-in-One Front Panel Internal Card Reader (6 Memory Slots, Genesys GL3220 Chipset) & SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3-Port Hub (VIA VL800 Chipset), can read & write: M2/MS Micro, High-Speed CF(UDMA), UHS-I, SD, SDHC,...
Other
StarTech HSB220SAT25B 2 Drive 2.5in Trayless Hot Swap SATA Mobile Rack Backplane
CPU
i7-5930K Haswell-e
Motherboard
Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1
GPU
Visiontek Radeon 7870 2GB with 6 miniDisplayports
RAM
G-Skill Ripjaws 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SSDs
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 SSD boot drive
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Cpu cooler
Case
Scratch built. Currently under construction at https://www.overclock.net/t/1602023/preparing-for-a-scratch-built-case
Operating System
Win 7 Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech M525
Mouse
El Cheapo Allsop hard plastic
▲ hide details ▲
post #5249 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 04:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Thanks^^^^ Question. I see folks here mentioning reinstalling Windows like 7 times or something. Are they cloning, too?

"Remember, never be afraid to try something new, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

4.7ghz
Firestrike
Build in Progress
post #5250 of 5392 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Storage Nut

Rep: 1660 (Unique: 967)
Quote:

Thanks^^^^ Question. I see folks here mentioning reinstalling Windows like 7 times or something. Are they cloning, too?

IDK, I have reinstalled Windows hundreds of times literally and cloned hundreds of times. If your system is running fine, just clone it.

SSD GURU
Storage Essentials | My Server Build Log
"Some say he once took a backup of the entire NSA database. Others say he lays SSDs like chickens lay eggs. All we know is, it's Sean Webster!"
Main Rig
(15 items)
Terrorbyte V2
(16 items)
CPU
i7-6700K @4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z170 OC Formula
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC
RAM
32GB Patriot Viper Elite @2666MHz
Hard Drive
480GB ADATA SX8200
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 960 EVO
Hard Drive
2TB HP EX950
Power Supply
Corsair RM650
Cooling
Thermaltake Silver Arrow
Case
Fractal Design R5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Monitor
BenQ GW2765HT
Keyboard
Patriot Viper V760
Mouse
Patriot Viper V560
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximux IV Extreme
RAM
32GB (2x 16GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro @2.4GHz
Hard Drive
2TB WD Red
Hard Drive
2TB Samung Spinpoint F4
Hard Drive
2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300
Hard Drive
3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14
Hard Drive
8TB HGST Ultrastar He8
Hard Drive
4TB Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
Corsair 650TX
Case
Norco RPC 4224
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Other
LSI 9261-8i
Other
Intel RES2CV240
CPU
Intel Core i7 9700K @5GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate
RAM
16GB (2x 8GB) Kingston HyperX Predator RGB @3.6GHz
Hard Drive
Intel Optane SSD 905P 1.5TB
Power Supply
EVGA 500W
Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Other
ASRock TB3 AiC
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in