Crucial P1 1TB ? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Crucial P1 1TB ?

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 33)
Crucial P1 1TB ?

So i really need to get my system on a ssd again.. My 120gb ocz 4 which i had sense 2012 gave problems 3 months ago freezing and found it has 1 bad sector on it..

So cloned and i pop in a old wd 7200rpms 320gb laptop drive in and put the ssd as a spare for a game or 2 after i formatted it which seems to run fine... Just don't trust it for anything else and really i cant stand the small size anymore sense it was always 98% full and i had no games on it..

Its pretty tired to sense it does have over 80tb writes on it from what the software says...

But yea my system ryzen 1700 gigabyte k7 seems to not like hard drives... Cause it takes it good old time booting up when i need to restart it or what ever.. like 3 too 6minutes till it done loading.. while the old ocz took under a minute to the desktop.. I even tried and have this in wd 1tb 7200rpms thinking it was just the laptop drive but nope still the same.

So i was looking and found the Crucial P1 1TB 104$ and that's pretty much the max i can spend right now. Now i know it has QLC which is a problem when you write to it alot but pretty much its main propose is normal using it and gaming and im not going to be moving large files back and forth sense i have other drives that holds my stuff.

will it be good for normal use and gaming?
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-1TB-N...s%2C122&sr=8-9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

than again i did some thinking... I was thinking of just getting a normal seta drive that's 512gbs for now and get a better NVMe drive maybe around black Friday or even Christmas when they have deals.

Cause really a 512gb sata would be fine for me right now and couple games and probably be more reliable than the crucial QLC memory... And also seems like it also gets pretty hot under load from what i read. and yea i have a 1080ti which is always under load and a 960gtx in this system and the m.2 is right between them...

Is this a good ssd https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power...s%2C136&sr=8-6
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:38 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2708 (Unique: 1610)
NVME drives are not in any way better or faster than a drive using AHCI unless you will be working with and moving around large files on the drive
Gaming due to software limitations will at most load one second faster

Unless you will be working/editing or can find an NVME cheaper than an AHCI drive dont bother

Seravee
(32 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:52 AM
Blue and Green Team!

Rep: 705 (Unique: 528)
The Crucial P1 is excellent and offers a good bump in speed over a SATA model. I use 3 of them.

Can you realise that added speed that NVMe drives offer in the real world? Mmmm I'd say its noticeable when booting up, but not really anything else. Copy big files etc though and now you're talking.

20i9 STEALTH
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9 9820X @ 4.5Ghz (1.253v NO AVX OFFSET)
Motherboard
ASUS X299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
2 x ASUS 2080Ti TURBO (Blower, NON-A)
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz (4 x 8GB)
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 1200W
Cooling
Corsair H150i Pro (Corsair ML120's push/pull)
Case
Fractal Design Define S Windowed
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU 165Hz GSYNC 1440P
Keyboard
Corsair K70 MXRed
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Elite
Audio
Schiit 2Uber Stack + Beyerdynamic DT1770
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Just got the 512gb Silicon-Power for now and will wait for any sales on NVME drives maybe on black Friday or Christmas. Does give me a option to put this drive when im done with it in another system

This newer ssd should make a difference either way hell it should even perform alot better than my ocz 120gb ever did lol..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 25)
No matter on difference between SSD M.2 NVme and SSD SATA III difference is visible.
Much less difference than switch from HDD to SSD but it's visible and in everyday use.

My honest suggestion to all gamers is to use some nice SATA III SSD 1TB for games and not less than 1TB M.2 NVMe for OS.
I mean 512GB is enough but 1TB is better. These stuff stay inside PC 5-6 years and 1TB is right choice.

And don't buy M.2 Heatsinks without screws or you could experience pure suffering.
I must admit installing EK M.2 Heatsink on M.2 was worse and most risky job I ever done with PC and I didn't success to install him.
After I check experience from customers on Newegg who bend M.2, fried M.2 people who need to remove EK Heatsink because M.2 didn't work with them motherboard couldn't read them because pressure I decide to put zip tie over him and soon I will throw him in garbage.
GPU fan on 50% cooldown M.2 on 55C in benchmark tests because my M.2 is right below GPU (RVE10). I didn't know that because fans on Poseidon not spin in idle.

I will throw in garbage evil EK M.2 heatsink advice you to buy Bitspower M.2 Armor if you need.
Difference between M.2 models from launch date of EK heatsink is at least 3mm, some of them have chips from both side, some of them have thick ceramic capacitors and thicker Controller and design is retarder, like people with Down Syndrome design him... No name heatsink from China are design with biggerd lucidity and accept all thickeness, even two M.2 in sandwitch if need with proper contact and without pressure.
Or WD SN750 with EK preinstalled heatsink will be right choice, but he was not available when I need M.2.
I delay buying M.2 and than I didn't want to delay any more to wait any new series, SN750 with heatsink or Samsung 980 or anything...

Heatsink is necessary for benchmarking of M.2, some models and only I could say is God thank you because ******** product didn't lead me to destroy M.2 1TB size.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

yea i really wanted to get 1tb nvme right now but that one i wanted went out of stock and went to 130$... for that much i figure i wait till sales happens and get a better brand like a samsung in the future

So far this 512gb sp drive performs great. over 500mbs and writes and finally my system feels snappy again and boots fast vs 3 to 6minutes with the crap hdd lol
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 521 (Unique: 293)
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
No matter on difference between SSD M.2 NVme and SSD SATA III difference is visible.
Much less difference than switch from HDD to SSD but it's visible and in everyday use.

My honest suggestion to all gamers is to use some nice SATA III SSD 1TB for games and not less than 1TB M.2 NVMe for OS.
I mean 512GB is enough but 1TB is better. These stuff stay inside PC 5-6 years and 1TB is right choice.

And don't buy M.2 Heatsinks without screws or you could experience pure suffering.
I must admit installing EK M.2 Heatsink on M.2 was worse and most risky job I ever done with PC and I didn't success to install him.
After I check experience from customers on Newegg who bend M.2, fried M.2 people who need to remove EK Heatsink because M.2 didn't work with them motherboard couldn't read them because pressure I decide to put zip tie over him and soon I will throw him in garbage.
GPU fan on 50% cooldown M.2 on 55C in benchmark tests because my M.2 is right below GPU (RVE10). I didn't know that because fans on Poseidon not spin in idle.

I will throw in garbage evil EK M.2 heatsink advice you to buy Bitspower M.2 Armor if you need.
Difference between M.2 models from launch date of EK heatsink is at least 3mm, some of them have chips from both side, some of them have thick ceramic capacitors and thicker Controller and design is retarder, like people with Down Syndrome design him... No name heatsink from China are design with biggerd lucidity and accept all thickeness, even two M.2 in sandwitch if need with proper contact and without pressure.
Or WD SN750 with EK preinstalled heatsink will be right choice, but he was not available when I need M.2.
I delay buying M.2 and than I didn't want to delay any more to wait any new series, SN750 with heatsink or Samsung 980 or anything...

Heatsink is necessary for benchmarking of M.2, some models and only I could say is God thank you because ******** product didn't lead me to destroy M.2 1TB size.
thanks for that... I was looking @ that clip system n thinking it looked janky.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 25)
EK M.2 Heatsink is Ultimate-Epic Junk. He is well build with nice heatsink and PCB but installation process would be abandoned from lucid company who take care for customers before production or after first installation
on M.2 with higher controllers. But EK didn't do nothing after they get complains from people about hardly installation and how risky could be for product.

Worse of all because company who build that didn't thought how many customers will destroyed their expensive M.2.
And that's very bad human habit. Companies who intentionally make things harder and more complicate and risky to customers looks like survive only in IT industry.

If someone need M.2 should go with Bitspower M.2 Armor or this heatsink...
This is probably best...

https://www.amazon.com/heatsink-Doub...GQ8WYK8KY03F3Q

Last edited by Vlada011; 04-18-2019 at 05:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in