Suggestions on a decent PCI-e RAID Controller? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Suggestions on a decent PCI-e RAID Controller?

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 29)
Suggestions on a decent PCI-e RAID Controller?

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a PCI-e to slap in this old Dell i7-2600k I turned into a Linux box. The revision doesn't have RAID 0/1 (software RAID) available and I just need a cheap card for this solution.

Looking at Newegg it appears all the reviews are pretty heinous along with the brand choices (SYBA / HiPoint / ETC...)

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?Submit=E...rder=BESTMATCH

Any ideas/personal experiences you all can share?

Oh and the O.S. will be Ubuntu 18.04.2

Plasma (Gaming/Multimedia) (Windows 10 PRO):
Ryzen 1600 OC'd @ 4.0Ghz [AIR] ||| 8GB ADATA DDR4-2666 APG "GAMMIX" ||| 750W Antec PSU ||| Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB ||| 240GB Sandisk SSD

PlasmaNix (Linux Workstation) (Lubuntu 18.04 LTS):
Athlon II X2 @ 3.0Ghz [STOCK / AIR] ||| 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 ||| 500W Antec PSU ||| 74GB RAPTOR HDD ||| Adaptec CERC 1TB RAID1

Last edited by Nechen; 05-23-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Cheapest Man On Earth

Rep: 72 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by Nechen View Post
The revision doesn't have RAID 0/1 (software RAID) available
It seems like you would have gone with onboard RAID had it been available. The main difference between onboard RAID and software RAID in Linux is that the onboard RAID is tied to the controller on the motherboard, whereas the Linux RAID can be used on any Linux system. I believe it is very much the same animal when comparing it to the cheap RAID cards. The good hardware RAID controllers are, well, good but expensive.

I would check out The Arch Wiki Page On RAID. It goes over a number of differences, with explanations of different setups. You may want to seek out other guides for using mdadm or LVM to set up RAID. I don't have much personal experience beyond people using onboard RAID or cheap cards and having it fail, leaving them unable to access their data.

*Comprehensive Memory Overclocking Guide*
Low Power Ryzen
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2400G
Motherboard
ASRock B450M-PRO4
RAM
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Cooling
Tuniq Tower
Operating System
Lubuntu 18.10
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in