Could my second nvme be causing lock ups ?[solved] - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Could my second nvme be causing lock ups ?[solved]

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Could my second nvme be causing lock ups ?[solved]

So since I installed my 2nd Nvme drive on my asus prime z370-p ii (about a week ago, both are now samsung 970 evo plus using the mobo m2 slots), my pc has started to show some weird symptoms at first some nv**** i forget the name caused a bluescreen 2-3 days after install, and then some lock ups started to occur which got more frequent. I have made sure everything on mobo is getting the voltage but i'm still experiencing these lock ups.
Yes I have the samsung drivers for the nvme drives, I did initially have the mobo set to intel optane for some bazare reason but have now put that into ahci, I have done a complete clean install with just barebones and star citizen to have fun while hunting this aweful bug i'm sure i've had before on different systems over the years. There is not a single error in event log aside from the force shut down I have to do.
Now before I have to strip the loop down to take out the second nvme drive to see if it crashes without it, is that a strong possibility for the cause off the lock ups ?
If it's not that, then it's definitely something to do with windows itself. The crazy thing is it's like the more resources I use on the pc, the faster the lockup occurs, I can browse for 5 hours before it locks up, an hour just playing star citizen on the dot (give or take 5 mins), 20 mins if I have SC on, discord and some music going.

Another thing to note, when windows locks up, I can sometimes still play the game with no issues all with audio too until I close it :| TBH I don't know *** to setup these drives, in bios lol.

Well after doing a couple of windows clean installs the problem persisted, so I did the command prompt to check windows services and sfc scan which actually did find some corrupt files (on a clean install????), also after clearing cmos, the problem seems to be solved, 2 hours in and no lock ups so fingers crossed.

Sharing is the first step to solving all the problems of humanity.
Main
(16 items)
CPU
9600k 1.38 -1.39 (still testing)
Motherboard
Asus PRIME Z370-P II
GPU
GTX 980ti
RAM
Corsair vengence
Hard Drive
samsung evo
Optical Drive
LG blu-ray rw/r
Power Supply
thermaltake 730w modular
Cooling
xspc rasa block, dual front rad, 900lh pump
Case
ModdedTrendsonic
Operating System
win 10 64
Monitor
23"GD245HQ & 2 x 21" in surround
Monitor
3x1920 nvidia surround
Keyboard
logitech wireless
Mouse
g602
Mouse
Thermaltake tai chi m2
Audio
logitech G935
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Comatosed; 05-29-2020 at 02:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in