Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [SCRATCH BUILD] Metro Last Light

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Bad Fenny
New to Overclock.net
 
Bad Fenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 261
Rep: 14 (Unique: 9)
UPDATED - Main Case Assembled

Hello all,

Well it has been a busy day, both personally and with the mod. Could not spend too much time on the case today so I decided to suffice with a couple of extra mods, prime and assemble the two ammo cans which comprise the main case

Firstly, I wanted to incorporate one of two salvaged USB hubs in the build. I decided that it would be mounted in the lid of the top ammo can. It took a bit of doing and three cutting disks . . . The Dremel just did not like the double layer of metal. Once the USB hub metal cage was in place and secured, I used caulking to seal the area and smooth it out prior to priming.







The other mod I did was to cut the fan hole for the bottom access panel. This will be for the intake fan with the exhaust fan being in the lid of the top ammo can.



Once these mods were finished, I primed all the parts for the main case. I decided on this colour to primer as a base weathering coat but will be returning the cans to their original olive drab. However, the olive drab will be lightly applied so the primer still pokes through. My intent is to use the primer to create a weathered effect . . . rusty. Funny thing about nuclear apocalypses . . . ammo cans tend to rust and weather. winksmiley.jpg



Putting it all Together

So now it was the moment of truth, did I lay this out properly and would it all fit together. confused.gif

Remember, this was all in my head and was re-written as I worked so I had no drawings or master plan. I had an idea what it should look like, measured accordingly and now I was going to find out if the build continued or if I would have to go and liberate three more ammo cans.

Prior to connecting the two ammo cases, I installed the IO shield using pop rivets . . . so far so good thumb.gif



With the IO shield in place, I then attached the two ammo cans together to form the main case. To facilitate attachment, when I cut the access holes between the two cans, I left a lip around both access holes (except for the mobo side which had to be flat). I used this lip to rivet the two cans together.



With the two cans connected, I now had the main case. This is where the mobo, GPU and one HDD will be installed. All in all I was please with the result. There are a few gaps which need to be dealt with but I now have a smooth surface to mount the mobo tray and I can access both the top and bottom of the case.

The view below is actually the back of the case. Remember, the concept is three stacked ammo cans with the front ammo can holding the PSU . . .



. . . The smooth surface opposite the two access ports is where the mobo tray will be mounted. I can't do this until I complete the last ammo can which will hold the PSU and another HDD.



Rear of the case. I still have to finish attaching the IO shield but this can't be done until I get the mobo tray mounted.



Front of the main case. The top lid is still functional but I won't really need to use it as I can access everything through the back side panels.



This view is actually the front of the case. The small access port in the bottom right corner of the can is for wiring from the PSU can which will be attached to the main case.



These last two shots show the two mods I talked about above in their finished state. The USB hub turned out better than I expected. The access panel will be fitted with an intake fan later on in the build. As far as the top access port goes, the panel I am making will have a plexi-glass window. Thought that might be a nice touch so at least you can look in from time to time. smile.gif





That's it for now. Hope you enjoyed.

Cheers

Fen
Bad Fenny is offline