I agree with mllrkllr and Nox. The link that Nox post it a great place to start on xp 32bit. There are some similar steps to take on win 7 x64 for 2D benching. 3D benching is a little different.
1) Partition the SSD into 2 partitions. For Example 120GB SSD = two 60GB partitions.
2) One is obviously for the OS. The other is for all of your benchmarks and OC tools like CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Coretemp, Realtemp, Labshot, etc.
3) Turn indexing off on C drive.
4) Adjust to best performance under Advanced System settings in control panel.
5) Turn off page filing completely.
6) Turn off all kernal dumps
7) Set windows to classic view.
8) For starters here is a link to stripping services that will boost 2D scores. You will want to follow the "bare-bones" column in this link.
That should get you started. Taking the time and testing a one tweak at a time is how you get to boss level OS efficiency