Full latency input/rendering/output chain test 960fps - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Full latency input/rendering/output chain test 960fps

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Full latency input/rendering/output chain test 960fps

I made a full latency input/rendering/output chain test in 960fps.
Result: Slightly over 30ms from button down to flame/bullethole appearing (i was able to count frames locally before uploading, unsure if youtube preserves all frames).
I also do not know if firing a gun is completely instant in destiny2 or not or if it has some sort of un-animated trigger time or network wait before firing (I don't think so).
960fps video 1max pre-rendered frame 144Hz fps capped to 141 (ingame)with g-sync on. vsync off.
Chain also includes encoding 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 to reach 144Hz on asus PG27UQ - unsure if it adds latency (probably not, already part of rendering time).
Glorious model o mouse. 1000Hz USB
Asus gene VIII motherboard/usb with i7 [email protected]
Nvidia 2080ti
I also tested in fullscreen and hdr, and same result when counting frames. Best counted result identical.

It would be interesting if others could repeat this for various games and configs to see if we can find trends in what works, which games have fast engines, etc.

Methodology
Most modern smartphones have high fps modes. I used galaxy s9+ where "super slow mo" is 960 fps, and "slow motion" is 240fps. The video uses 960 fps which requires some timing on the users part.
https://sourceforge.net/p/countdowntimer/wiki/Home/ (supposedly) high precision millisecond counter
Klick in a quick snappy fashion so button push isn't too many frames and keep the mouse at a right angle so that the button movement is clearly visible. (or quickly snap a finger at the mouse and check movement, probably a better method as it eliminates firing a weapon with possible delay and networking).
Repeat many times, and either count frames or use the ms counter.
Note that you probably need to force vsync off in gpu settings globally to make windows not vsync (not 100% on this).

Total Input/rendering/output chain results:
Destiny2 - 144Hz ~30ms - Morkai (specs in vid)
CS:GO - 120Hz - ~20ms - Morkai (specs in vid, but left fps uncapped at around 300)
CS:GO - 240Hz ~14-36ms (depending on mouse used) - LTT -

Last edited by Morkai; 07-06-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in