Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - Recommendations for Ethernet Router

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
incurablegeek
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
From the lack of response, I can only conclude that ethernet routers are now DOA and have been replaced by wireless routers - due to demand by gamers and home theater enthusiasts.

I think therefore that I might have asked the wrong question, so I'll try again. Would a MANAGED SWITCH be a better choice over an ethernet router?

From the Cisco site http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/resource_center/articles/connect_employees_and_offices/what_is_a_network_switch/index.html
Quote:
Most business networks today use switches to connect computers, printers and servers within a building or campus. A switch serves as a controller, enabling networked devices to talk to each other efficiently. Through information sharing and resource allocation, switches save businesses money and increase employee productivity.

Also, prices for managed switches go from moderately expensive to mortgage the house and sell the kids super expensive. Why?