FreeNAS, and Why I went with openindiana + Nappit... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

FreeNAS, and Why I went with openindiana + Nappit...

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50
Before I start this I really badly wanted Freenas to work for me. Its web interface is easiest to use by far, and had features I wanted with supposedly no hassle. But I do want to throw out a warning to people putting critical data on there Freenas box's as I've seen alot of recent builds using FreeNAS.

Now before I get flak from FreeNAS enthusiasts on these forums, I've truly put FreeNAS through its paces, and had the motivation to work out kinks.The build I did contained x16 3TB drives in a norco 4220 and have stored roughly 21 TB on the 37TB array, and recently expanded to a second box of the same capacity. I used freenas 8.0.2-8.2.0 And here were my biggest complains.

1. Unable to hotswap devices- Supposedly you were able to this with freebsd 8.2 to my knowledge, but I've never once gotten it to work. I had to do a power down and swap out bad drives

2. ZFS rebuilds-This one was the deal breaker for me. During 8.0.2 at least I was able to do ZFS rebuilds from the command line, mind you that was a pain for something that's suppose to be done through GUI. After trying out 8.2.0 I was unable to do it from the GUI or CLI, pretty much making the RaidZ worthless.

3. Setting Spare drives- This feature was also completely broken and could never get it to work successfully.

4. Logs- I started getting errors that the logs were completely full on the machine, and after spending hours looking at a fix for this I couldn't really find what I could delete or how I could expand the partitions it was saving them on.

All this finally led me to install Openindiana and Napp-it. It pretty much gave the same features I was looking for in Freenas (CIFS/NFS). Spares and hotswapping drives seems to work flawlessly, while I cant speak for its longevity (as I've just began to move data to it), but it seems to be doing much better than FreeNAS was stability wise.

What has your guys experience been with FreeNAS or Openindiana?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 574
I use FreeBSD rather than FreeNAS (i prefer the command line to web interfaces and, if we're really honest, ZFS's command line tools are childs play anyway). Personally FreeBSD has worked flawlessly.

My past experience with OpenSolaris has put me off ever using OpenIndiana for production systems. OpenSolaris was bloated, buggy and didn't receive much love from developers. The latter part is definitely true even now. So I'm inclined to stick with FreeBSD for at least the foreseeable future.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 AM

command line?ibm os2 command line (exemple)wow?that must have been patience testing in this day and age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 204
I've been using OpenIndiana and Napp-It for over a year now. I've had nothing but great experiences with it. With 20 spindles, you are bound to have problems down the road, and OI+Napp-It combined with ZFS have simplified everything for me. With limited knowledge of ZFS etc, I've yet to have a data failure despite few erroring disks and bad backplanes.

I absolutely love the simplicity of Napp-It and the speed, redundancy, and resiliency of ZFS. I've lost data AND had data corruption to HWRAID on more than 1 occasion. I've been scared a few times with ZFS, but it's always pulled through for me in the end.

I've got an M1015 and an HP SAS Expander nestled in an EVGA 758 board with an i7 920 and 12GB DDR3.
I have a pool containing 2x RAIDZ2 vdevs. 1 vdev containing 2TB and 1 vdev containing 3TB. Total space in GB: 50TB. Total space in GiB: 45TB. Total useable space 34TB.

Glad to see other OCN users utilizing such a great NAS/SAN setup.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 239
I always wanted to try FreeNAS, but never really got around to it. I'm a big Microsofy anyway, and ended up just doing a hardware array (LSI MegaRAID 9261-8i + HP SAS Expander in a Norco RPC-4224), and I admit I love the MegaRaid Management software, along with Starwind SAN software for my iSCSI/SMI-S needs.

FWIW, OI's lead developer has called it quits a few weeks back.

IT Certifications (Click to show)
Splunk Certfied Architect
Splunk Certified Admin
Splunk Certified Knowledge Manager
MCSE: Server Infrastructure
MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure
MCSE: Private Cloud
MCSA: Windows 7
MCSA: Windows 8
MCSA: Server 2008R2
MCSA: Server 2012
MCITP: Virtualization Administrator
MCP: System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
MCP: System Center Configuration Manager 2007
MCP: Windows 7 & Office 2012 Deployment
Citrix Certified Administrator: XenApp 6.5
Citrix Certified Administrator: XenDesktop 5.6
CompTIA A+
CompTIA Net+
CompTIA Security+
Certified Double-Take Professional

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I use FreeBSD rather than FreeNAS (i prefer the command line to web interfaces and, if we're really honest, ZFS's command line tools are childs play anyway). Personally FreeBSD has worked flawlessly.
My past experience with OpenSolaris has put me off ever using OpenIndiana for production systems. OpenSolaris was bloated, buggy and didn't receive much love from developers. The latter part is definitely true even now. So I'm inclined to stick with FreeBSD for at least the foreseeable future.
I don't mind living in CLI world either, but I know I might not be the only one working on it(the two NAS in question are for a client). Sadly most sysadmins today are more comfortable with GUI or webmin interface (or at least up here they are).

Plan9, are you able to hotswap drives in freeBSD build you did?

Bonz, I'm loving it so far, its easy to use and just works. We had it hard lock up once on me, which I assume was from crazy wind and power outages were getting here (currently ordering rack mountable UPS for client), as its been up for two days with no issues.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136
I would just use FreeBSD like plan9. the tools are very intuitive and easy to use. when OI gets closer to a stable version, then well see (if that happens at all)

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24
There was massive improvements to FreeBSDs ZFS implementation with version 9. Since FreeNAS is based on 7 or 8 (I forget) I'm not surprised it has its issues. I would wait for a FreeNAS version based on FreeBSD 9 before I would recommend using FreeNAS and ZFS.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 04:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by swat565 View Post

I don't mind living in CLI world either, but I know I might not be the only one working on it(the two NAS in question are for a client). Sadly most sysadmins today are more comfortable with GUI or webmin interface (or at least up here they are).

Plan9, are you able to hotswap drives in freeBSD build you did?
I run a number of virtual machines off my ZFS array so shutdown everything to be safe (once you've shutdown 5 VMs it's not really any more effort to shutdown the host as well). I only run FreeBSD 8.1 though, never got round to upgrading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBlame View Post

Since FreeNAS is based on 7 or 8 (I forget)

8 smile.gif
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 272
Couple of questions regarding ZFS:

1) Is there support yet for Online Capacity Expansion? If not, how far away is it?

2) Does anyone here have experience of Nexenta Core?

3) All of the Napp-It screenshots I've seen seem to be English/German language hybrids. Is there a pure English version?

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
GPU
Palit GT-430
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Hard Drive
Western Digital RE3
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME 1000 Ultra
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Operating System
Linux Mint 18.x
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in