[Rack Log] Build log for everything in my home server rack! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Rack Log] Build log for everything in my home server rack!

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 74 (Unique: 63)
Home Server [Rack Log]

Hello OCN network enthusiasts, this is my attempt to show off my stuff in my home server rack, and also to try to start a trend with these "[Rack Log]"'s, where its about the entire rack, not just a specific server in it.

Current Setup:

Motorola G router acts as client to pickup the houses wifi and spit it out over ethernet
Netgear WGR614v10 (soon to be replaced) acts as firewall and access point
Dlink 16 port fanless rackmount gigabit switch
Supermicro 1U fanless Atom server (DHCP/DNS/Munin)
4U Athlon 64 x2 running proxmox with identical services to the supermicro, to be used when the supermicro requires maintenance.

All in a 20U 2 post network rack, which so far has done the job very well (about 4 years)

PIctures and more info to be updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Supermicro 1U Atom Server Upgrades

So I got this little 1U Supermicro with a 2core/4thread Intel atom ITX board with a 2gb sodimm and a 4GB SATA DOM from an upgrade to one of the clients where I work. It was being used as a pfsense router to simply route all traffic from one of the company's static IP's to the IP of their VOIP system.

After getting this Supermicro I put Debian Jessie on it and setup DHCP and DNS identically to how it was on my now decommissioned 4U box.

Up until I received this Supermicro, my main home server had been an Athlon 64 x2 custom 4U rackmount box, that ran proxomox with 3 VM's, two running debian for DHCP and DNS, and the third running OpenMediaVault, as a small temporary file server. It was a power hog even at idle, and was noisy and generated more heat than was needed.

With this Supermicro I wanted the complete opposite, I wanted cool, quiet, and energy efficient.

After upgrading the server to 4GB of DDR3 with an extra stick I had lying around, I then started to think of how I could make the only fan in the whole server a little more quiet. The fan was one of those typically loud 40mm deep 40mm's in the server's power supply.
I debated for about a week as to whether it'd be better to buy a replacement fan, that was hopefully silent enough yet moved enough air, or to try to get a better 1u power supply and hope it was quiet.

I eventually decided on getting a PICO-PSU, as it'd move most of the heat from the power supply to the brick outside the case, and would also be completely silent! I was just about to check out at the official distributor of PICO-PSU's when I noticed that my $35 (IIRC) order of an 80 watt pico-psu and 60watt EDAC brick was going to cost about $20 shipping! So I set out on ebay and found someone selling a 120Watt Pico-PSU for only $13 shipped! Grabbed that and then set out trying to find the exact model of EDAC 60Watt power adapter that is distributed with the Pico-PSU's (as it is highly praised in reviews as being well built and reliable). Managed to find that on eBay as well, for about $20 shipped.

The only issue with this used Pico-PSU was that it had an odd looking connector for the 12v input as you can see below:

Luckly I actually had this little female barrel connector that was the perfect match for the EDAC brick laying around, and so I got that installed and was now ready to get it all put into the case!

So the server went from looking like this:

To looking like this!:

My next task was to modify some rack ears I had laying around from an old Dlink 10/100 switch to replace the missing Supermicro ones. They don't look very pretty but it'll work just fine.

And here it is all buttoned up and ready to go into the rack:

For those who were wondering, that blurry blob with a SATA cable going into it is the little 4GB DOM sitting inside a rolled up piece of plastic so it won't short against the case. The DOM can be seen below:

So far I've only had this running for about 12 hours, and the server is usually just idling, so I'm still unsure whether this server will be okay being fully passively cooled or if it might need some really low speed 40mm fans.

Also should mention that the power usage from the wall with the original power supply was about 24Watts just sitting basically idle, I'll measure the power usage with the Pico-PSU soon.

Up-to-date specs for this server can be found under my "The Super SuperMicro?" sig rig.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 26 (Unique: 25)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 553 (Unique: 389)
Looks just like my Supermicro atom 330, though it looks like you have the newer Atom board.

Same Powersupply though.

What I did was disconnect the internal fan and run it to a fan controller which I have running off the 12v from the PSU.

Allows me to lower the fan speed on the PSU fan to quiet levels. I cleaned it out really nice as well. PSU doesn't seem to get hot, so I'm fine with it. Overall it has turned my Supermicro from being loud to being quiet. I use it as my router, running ClearOS..

Still doesn't help the fact it is using around 40watts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltheGHz View Post

Looks cool! Subbed for sure

Thanks! Got a few updates coming this week, got some new hardware going in the rack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DzillaXx View Post

Looks just like my Supermicro atom 330, though it looks like you have the newer Atom board.

Same Powersupply though.

What I did was disconnect the internal fan and run it to a fan controller which I have running off the 12v from the PSU.

Allows me to lower the fan speed on the PSU fan to quiet levels. I cleaned it out really nice as well. PSU doesn't seem to get hot, so I'm fine with it. Overall it has turned my Supermicro from being loud to being quiet. I use it as my router, running ClearOS..

Still doesn't help the fact it is using around 40watts.

Yeah this is a X7SPE-HF-D525 mobo with the 13Watt TDP Atom D525.

I'm really hoping I won't need to add a fan back into this server, as the idea of a completely fanless server rack is pretty appealing to me!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sorry for the (nearly a month) of waiting. Life's been a bit busy lately.

Anyways, I got my new switch, the D-Link DGS-1016 unmanaged 16 port switch. At this point in time I got it for $50 refurbished from newegg, and it came with rack ears (as you will see, they are not standard rack ears).

I really do like the aesthetics of this switch. Real solid metal case and a neutral but interesting color scheme.

This is quite a small switch, especially in depth, so great in a rack where space is limited.

I've used this switch for the last 3 weeks and have not done anything but 10Mbps internet browsing, but I do already love this switch. It's completely fanless, uses ~7Watts with a few devices on it, and it stays cool all day long.

My only complaint, is that unless you are eyelevel with the switch, all of the led's bleed over to eachother, so it's hard to see exactly what port is doing what, but it's barely a problem in reality, especially for the price.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Another thing I decided to get to spruce up my rack is a 1U cable management module. After a little bit of hunting on eBay I found one made by "TuffJacks" brand new, for only $14.

Didn't know it until it arrived that it was plastic, but It is very rigid plastic, which I think would be rather hard to break. Either way, for $14 it is a really useful and inexpensive addition to my rack!

One thing to note that (at least in my case) you can't tell from the eBay listing, this has two holes in the back of the module, allowing cables to be run out the front of the module, as well as through and out to the back, which really helps clean things up.

Pictures showing it in action will be in future updates.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 26 (Unique: 25)
Thank you for the update, I've been trying to find a cheap rack on craigslist, I've been wanting to mod it where there are little shelves on them for all my cryptocurreny stuff, but alas, everything is a bit too big and expensive... I really like what you're doing, though!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I also got an 8" deep, vented, 1u rackmount shelf, and placed my routers on it, unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it. It was a little more pricy than I expected, about $25 new on eBay, but I will say it is very well built. I would not be surprised if you could put 150lbs on this shelf and have it not bend a bit, it is thick, and has a lot of bends to reinforce it.

I threw everything I currently have, into the rack (along with the existing components) and quickly realized that my garbage eBay cat5 cables that were purchased 4 years ago, were not going to handle gigabit. So I manually set my devices to 100Mbps, and spent about $100 on some new Cat6 cabling for all of the devices in my rack, and all the devices that connect to the rack.

Some of the new cabling can be seen in the pictures below, as well as the old and decrepit light gray eBay cat5's.

So here's a preliminary preview of the rack, with a mix of all the old and new hardware, (except some of the new cat6's). Please note that most things will be moved around sometime in the future, and that basically no cable management has been done yet, it'll all be done up with velcro cable ties when the time comes.

Stay tuned for more updates (and hardware additions)!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltheGHz View Post

Thank you for the update, I've been trying to find a cheap rack on craigslist, I've been wanting to mod it where there are little shelves on them for all my cryptocurreny stuff, but alas, everything is a bit too big and expensive... I really like what you're doing, though!

If your on the market for a 2 post rack (usually mostly for networking devices, not servers), then they can be had for cheap, even new, on eBay.

My rack was purchased brand new on eBay about 4 years ago for only $80 shipped, so it's certianly something to look into if a 2 post will work for you. However if you need a 4 post, I'm not sure what the pricing would be, but I can tell you that enclosed 4 post racks, are not worth the money, even used on eBay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in