Ok... So who needs a 50-66TB server?? - Page 13 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Ok... So who needs a 50-66TB server??

post #121 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:18 AM
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
I had that same antec case just sold it the other day with some X58 hardware I had. I also have the 750D which needs a new fascia (broke clips taking the front off for full disassembly... grrr) but is sitting otherwise empty (along with having a tempered glass mod for the side panel). Should really do something with it... hmm.

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by assaulth3ro911 View Post
How many movies and shows do you have on your PLEX server, and how many people are you serving simultaneously, or over a month? Is that Ryzen truly enough to transcode all of that?
yes, Ryzen shrugs off these transcodes, it is also aided by a quadro P2000.
post #123 of 134 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 338 (Unique: 248)
P2000 is a great card for plex. It can encode 13 1080p h.265 streams in high quality mode which is a great deal for $350. It is important to note for people looking at PLEX that they must use a Quadro card if they want to be able to use it much, regular GeForce is driver locked to only encode 2 streams max no matter what. This Quadro card is the best bang for buck deal right now on getting a lot of plex streams for minimum money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

I was using the same Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards to connect my drives as @fg2chase was. Got them because of this thread actually. Unfortunately a major windows 10 OS update caused me nothing but problems on these cards so I replaced my cards with a LSI 9305-24i. It costs a good bit, but allows connecting far more drives on a single card which is nice for me since I dont have to take up 3 PCI-E slots with cards anymore. It also is faster than the other card and runs much cooler. This card has been performing like a champ for the past 2 months I have had it. Just wanted to let people know who are looking at this thread for hardware ideas on connecting a ton of drives.

post #125 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
I was using the same Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards to connect my drives as @fg2chase was. Got them because of this thread actually. Unfortunately a major windows 10 OS update caused me nothing but problems on these cards so I replaced my cards with a LSI 9305-24i. It costs a good bit, but allows connecting far more drives on a single card which is nice for me since I dont have to take up 3 PCI-E slots with cards anymore. It also is faster than the other card and runs much cooler. This card has been performing like a champ for the past 2 months I have had it. Just wanted to let people know who are looking at this thread for hardware ideas on connecting a ton of drives.
Hmm that makes me wonder if that’s why my server refuses to update passed 1703....

BSOD every time.
post #126 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 01:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by fg2chase View Post
Hmm that makes me wonder if that’s why my server refuses to update passed 1703....

BSOD every time.

Could be. I dont remember what version it was that I was updating to, but I could only use the version that came with my retail installation media. Any major OS version updates beyond that caused crashes constantly. I figured out it was the sas/sata card because when I removed it entirely from the system it worked fine. Might be a pain to test, but if you have a spare drive you could remove your current OS drive and put the spare in. Do a new win10 install and then try to update the OS. If/when it crashes you could remove the card from the system including drivers for it, and then try the update again. If it works then the card most likely is the issue for you as well. Then you could put the old OS drive back in that way you havent messed anything up for it or have to both with reinstalling any software and such you have been using.

I was looking at replacing the cards with an LSI 9300-8i as it had the newer 12gb SAS connections and had newer drivers available. I realized though that the 9305-24i was cheaper than buying three of the lower end ones I would need to connect my the 22 drives I wanted to eventually use so I just went with the high end card.

Last edited by EniGma1987; 03-07-2019 at 02:16 PM.
post #127 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 19)
yes, Ryzen shrugs off these transcodes, it is also aided by a quadro P2000.
nice build, started to do something like this but went with nas instead. Had to choose either 1050ti or the 10gb nic, i choose the nic
The 4 ssd are in Raid 0 and the hdd are in raid 5
ssd for cache only

Qnap ts-873 with 32gb ram
2x 250gb m.2
8x 10gb hdd
10gb nic w/ 2x 250gb m.2 nvme

ux-500p expansion unit
5x 8tb drives

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-873
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ux-500p
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/qm2-m.2ssd-10gbe

100TB

Last edited by pdasterly; 03-07-2019 at 02:50 PM.
post #128 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Could be. I dont remember what version it was that I was updating to, but I could only use the version that came with my retail installation media. Any major OS version updates beyond that caused crashes constantly. I figured out it was the sas/sata card because when I removed it entirely from the system it worked fine. Might be a pain to test, but if you have a spare drive you could remove your current OS drive and put the spare in. Do a new win10 install and then try to update the OS. If/when it crashes you could remove the card from the system including drivers for it, and then try the update again. If it works then the card most likely is the issue for you as well. Then you could put the old OS drive back in that way you havent messed anything up for it or have to both with reinstalling any software and such you have been using.

I was looking at replacing the cards with an LSI 9300-8i as it had the newer 12gb SAS connections and had newer drivers available. I realized though that the 9305-24i was cheaper than buying three of the lower end ones I would need to connect my the 22 drives I wanted to eventually use so I just went with the high end card.
I considered this, I really just need to do a backup and then move it all to Linux/unraid or something.
post #129 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)

BSOD every time.

I considered this, I really just need to do a backup and then move it all to Linux/unraid or something.

I am also running the same Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards with NO PROBLEMS. I am on 1803 and updated without issue.

Also I can check what drivers I am using but the latest on the supermicro is from 2/4/2019 11:30 AM. I am on 4.0.0.2020 and the latest driver is 4.0.0.2022

Last edited by zeroibis; 03-13-2019 at 04:51 AM.
post #130 of 134 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:59 AM
Blue and Green Team!

Rep: 705 (Unique: 528)
Personally I just had a Synology DS1817+ with 8 x 10TB Seagate Ironwolfs when I wanted loads of space.

With 2 disk fault tolerance, around 60TB of usable space, supports caching with M2 drives and also 10Gb networking, if you don't want to bond the 4 x 1Gb.

Much smaller form factor, much less power and the awesome DSM OS.

The DS1819+ is the new kid on the block, and of course there are drives bigger than 10TB now.

20i9 STEALTH
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9 9820X @ 4.5Ghz (1.253v NO AVX OFFSET)
Motherboard
ASUS X299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
2 x ASUS 2080Ti TURBO (Blower, NON-A)
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz (4 x 8GB)
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200 1200W
Cooling
Corsair H150i Pro (Corsair ML120's push/pull)
Case
Fractal Design Define S Windowed
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU 165Hz GSYNC 1440P
Keyboard
Corsair K70 MXRed
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Elite
Audio
Schiit 2Uber Stack + Beyerdynamic DT1770
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in