Ok... So who needs a 50-66TB server?? - Page 14 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Ok... So who needs a 50-66TB server??

post #131 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 346 (Unique: 255)
Quote: Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
I am also running the same Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards with NO PROBLEMS. I am on 1803 and updated without issue.

Also I can check what drivers I am using but the latest on the supermicro is from 2/4/2019 11:30 AM. I am on 4.0.0.2020 and the latest driver is 4.0.0.2022

Ah so they finally released new drivers then. I had to switch off of them before those were released but ill try adding one of the cards back in and use the new drivers sometime in the next couple weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
Personally I just had a Synology DS1817+ with 8 x 10TB Seagate Ironwolfs when I wanted loads of space.

With 2 disk fault tolerance, around 60TB of usable space, supports caching with M2 drives and also 10Gb networking, if you don't want to bond the 4 x 1Gb.

Much smaller form factor, much less power and the awesome DSM OS.

The DS1819+ is the new kid on the block, and of course there are drives bigger than 10TB now.

Cant run backblaze unless your a lottery winner with that config.
post #133 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post
Ah so they finally released new drivers then. I had to switch off of them before those were released but ill try adding one of the cards back in and use the new drivers sometime in the next couple weeks.

Not sure which ones you were using before but the drivers I am using "4.0.0.2020" I have had installed for over 6 months now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 146 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
I am also running the same Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards with NO PROBLEMS. I am on 1803 and updated without issue.

Also I can check what drivers I am using but the latest on the supermicro is from 2/4/2019 11:30 AM. I am on 4.0.0.2020 and the latest driver is 4.0.0.2022
This is very likely my issue, I will perform a full system backup today and then install that driver.
post #135 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:48 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 275 (Unique: 215)
@fg2chase

I have a whitebox server running Proxmox VE 6.0; the hardware is an mITX board with an i5-8400 (6C6T) and 16GB RAM. I have Serviio running in an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS VM with 2GB of system memory. With 2 vCPUs, transcoding a single HD stream (Serviio uses ffmpeg) to medium quality has the CPUs pegged at nigh-on 100% load. 4 vCPUs averages 95% load and Increasing to 6 vCPUs has the CPUs at around 80% load.

I re-read this thread and couldn't find this: what CPU load are you seeing on average? Did you ever test with a single stream as a reference point?

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
GPU
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME 1000 Ultra
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Operating System
KDE Neon 18.04 LTS
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by parityboy; 01-21-2020 at 11:19 AM.
post #136 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by parityboy View Post
@fg2chase

I have a whitebox server running Proxmox VE 6.0; the hardware is an mITX board with an i5-8400 (6C6T) and 16GB RAM. I have Serviio running in an Ubuntu 18.04 LTS VM with 2GB of system memory. With 2 vCPUs, transcoding a single HD stream (Serviio uses ffmpeg) to medium quality has the CPUs pegged at nigh-on 100% load. 4 vCPUs averages 95% load and Increasing to 6 vCPUs has the CPUs at around 80% load.

I re-read this thread and couldn't find this: what CPU load are you seeing on average? Did you ever test with a single stream as a reference point?
IDK what all that software is, but typically people use something like Plex for streaming and that supports GPU encoding as well as direct play if the player supports it. With GPU acceleration you could be using QuickSync from your i5-8400 and you would not only have higher performance but see very little CPU load.

post #137 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Linux Lobbyist

IDK what all that software is, but typically people use something like Plex for streaming and that supports GPU encoding as well as direct play if the player supports it. With GPU acceleration you could be using QuickSync from your i5-8400 and you would not only have higher performance but see very little CPU load.
Serviio is a media streaming server analogous to Plex, Emby, Jellyfin etc, while ffmpeg is the utility used underneath by Serviio (and no doubt others) to handle video transcoding when necessary. I've tried Plex and Emby and didn't get on well with them; Plex doesn't seem to be that good at doing DLNA on the local LAN, while Emby seemed to be unstable. Serviio seems to give me the least amount of operational issues and it comes with a couple of Android apps for server control and remote media browsing & playback (e.g. over an LTE connection).

Re: GPU acceleration I completely forgot about QuickSync! I may be able to pass the iGPU through to the Serviio VM; if so, ffmpeg should be able to detect and use the iGPU for transcoding. I've heard many conflicting reports concerning the quality of GPU transcoding - have you any experiences you can share? With Plex, can the CPU and iGPU be used in parallel when decoding multiple streams, or is it an either/or choice?

Cheers.

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
GPU
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Power Supply
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Operating System
KDE Neon 18.04 LTS
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲
post #138 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
nvm...

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
post #139 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 05:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by parityboy View Post
Re: GPU acceleration I completely forgot about QuickSync! I may be able to pass the iGPU through to the Serviio VM; if so, ffmpeg should be able to detect and use the iGPU for transcoding. I've heard many conflicting reports concerning the quality of GPU transcoding - have you any experiences you can share? With Plex, can the CPU and iGPU be used in parallel when decoding multiple streams, or is it an either/or choice?
Intel's iGPUs were pretty bad for video quality when they first launched, but Intel has kept increasing the number of profiles they have built in. I believe they are at 9 now with Kaby Lake launch, and have maintained that through each gen since. The newer, higher profiles have better and better quality each new QS release. So if you can get your VM to pass through the iGPU, you should be able to select which preset profile the iGPU should be using. Any of the highest 3 profiles will look fine and have good performance. The top profile actually seems to be the best GPU quality of any between Intel, Nvidia, and AMD.

With Plex when using GPU acceleration, it will default to that for any supported file types the GPU can do, and anything that is not a supported type will fall back to the CPU for transcoding. I dont know if Serviio allows direct play or not, but using direct will keep transcoding from happening at all and will maintain original video quality. On Plex, it will choose this as a first option if the player end supports the file type and encoding method built in on the player hardware and software.

edit: reading a bit about Serviio it seems it originally used DLNA to stream on the network, but now has the ability to stream without DLNA. And I saw you mention using DLNA on Plex in your previous post. Is there a reason you are using this? I tried enabling it once when I first started using Plex but didnt like how my other PCs picked up the plex stuff in "My Computer" area so I turned it off. Plex doesnt seem to use DLNA for its normal operation, so Im just wondering what you use it for? Does it offer additional device support for things that dont have an app or something?

Last edited by EniGma1987; 01-22-2020 at 05:49 AM.
post #140 of 146 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Intel's iGPUs were pretty bad for video quality when they first launched, but Intel has kept increasing the number of profiles they have built in. I believe they are at 9 now with Kaby Lake launch, and have maintained that through each gen since. The newer, higher profiles have better and better quality each new QS release. So if you can get your VM to pass through the iGPU, you should be able to select which preset profile the iGPU should be using. Any of the highest 3 profiles will look fine and have good performance. The top profile actually seems to be the best GPU quality of any between Intel, Nvidia, and AMD.

With Plex when using GPU acceleration, it will default to that for any supported file types the GPU can do, and anything that is not a supported type will fall back to the CPU for transcoding. I dont know if Serviio allows direct play or not, but using direct will keep transcoding from happening at all and will maintain original video quality. On Plex, it will choose this as a first option if the player end supports the file type and encoding method built in on the player hardware and software.

edit: reading a bit about Serviio it seems it originally used DLNA to stream on the network, but now has the ability to stream without DLNA. And I saw you mention using DLNA on Plex in your previous post. Is there a reason you are using this? I tried enabling it once when I first started using Plex but didnt like how my other PCs picked up the plex stuff in "My Computer" area so I turned it off. Plex doesnt seem to use DLNA for its normal operation, so Im just wondering what you use it for? Does it offer additional device support for things that dont have an app or something?
Many thanks for the iGPU info

The nice thing about using DLNA is that as a standard, users are not restricted to using a server-specific app. Any DLNA/UPnP-compliant renderer (e.g. smart TVs, DLNA apps on Android/iOS, Kodi) can see the server and stream media from it. DLNA uses IP multicast and is therefore limited to the local LAN (but there are ways around that). You're absolutely right about other PCs on the network seeing the server (and its content), but proper network segmentation can solve that issue. DLNA also offers a control mechanism whereby a device such as a smartphone can be used to tell a streaming server to send video to different devices (renderers in DLNA parlance) around the home.

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
GPU
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Power Supply
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Operating System
KDE Neon 18.04 LTS
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in