Advice on second hand server gear for a home NAS? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Advice on second hand server gear for a home NAS?

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 340 (Unique: 283)
Advice on second hand server gear for a home NAS?

I am toying around with the idea of building a NAS out of retired server gear. In particular, LGA 2011/x79 boards, CPU, and memory are ridiculously cheap. I think I can get a quad core or better CPU, 16gb of memory, and a board for around 150-300 dollars which is bananas.

For example, this HP Z420 Workstation LGA 2011 ATX System Board is 60 bucks:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7cQAA...n0Q/s-l500.jpg

An Intel Xeon E5-1607 or similar can be found for as little as $14

And 8gb DIMMS of ECC Registered memory can be had for as little as 20$ a piece, while unbuffered generally goes for $60 or more.

I am thinking I can build out an array of 8TB drives over time, up to 8-12 drives. Using ZFS with 2 or 3 drive parity, that would be 42-70 TBs of data and the whole project would cost me maybe 3k?

I am a little worried about some stuff though. Most server boards have four or six SATA III ports on board, but I would need more than that. I could buy PCIE SATA addon cards, but I have read about problems with drivers, stability, and high capacity drives. Trying to do it on the cheap and all, I would be looking to use the 20-50 dollar consumer addon cards, and I would probably be running everything under some version of freeNAS or linux. Does anyone know anything about that? I am also considering using cheap USB 3.0 to SATA adapters and add on cards, but I am not sure how well that would work either. Any advice on how to increase the storage capacity of a board?

I would be looking to run this on gigabit ethernet, and my home internet upload speed is nothing special. Would I still want to invest in some kind of SSD cache? What about CPU requirements. If this is a dedicated NAS only, would an older generation quad core Xeon be enough? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 05:49 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 272 (Unique: 213)
@OP

NAS duty doesn't require much horsepower, so a quad-core Xeon will be plenty. Storage-wise the best route will be something like an LSI 9211-8i, which will support 8 drives. If you need more you could add another one. In fact you could hit eBay and look for a good deal on a Dell PowerEdge 510 (the 12x3.5" version). That's assuming you don't mind going rackmount.

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
GPU
Palit GT-430
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Hard Drive
Western Digital RE3
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME 1000 Ultra
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Operating System
Linux Mint 18.x
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 69 (Unique: 58)
Honestly if it's just for basic file sharing a simpler nas prebuilt might be the win. I have an older HP ML 350 G6 server which has as much horsepower as I can (2 X 6 core with hyperthreading == 24 threads). However, it's a 60 LB server. I'm working towards buying a Synology NAS to house my major data and a single powerful computer to run some VMs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 02:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
I run a dual core mini-itx Supermicro Atom embedded mobo for the past 8 years. The only limiting factor is ethernet speed, even though it has dual Intel gigabit nics. I never have any problem and still do not. But my ISP upgraded my internet to 1G up and 1G down. The little atom CPU just cannot do 1G sustained transfer. 350m is about all it can handle.

I am pretty sure that supermicro server boards have 8 or 10 SATA onboard. And don't get a "consumer" add-on sata card, get an "enterprise" LSI (or OEM rebranded) card for $30 - $80. $30 gets you a Dell Perc H310 which can be flashed to JBOD mode and is highly recommended by guys runing Freenas.

SSD cache may or may not be needed. It depends. You need to think about your usage patterns. You can use something likes mergerfs that cache writes on ssd and then rsync data to hard drives after a couple days, or you can use bcache, or bcachefs which cache writes on ssd and sync data to hard drives, AND also sync data from hard drive to ssd for recent reads. And you can use both in the same system, with different mount points.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:53 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 97 (Unique: 65)
For a home NAS, an i3 has more than enough power. Even if you can buy old server gear for cheap it's going to cost you more in the long run with electric costs.

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVOPlus
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
There's some socket 1366 xeon stuff on eBay for super cheap also, and some good low power chips available. If it's only for a file server then this should still be more than adequate. You could pair it with something like a 4U Rosewill chassis which is about $100, maybe something smaller and cheaper would also suit you. Best of luck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
If you want to use this purely as a NAS, buy a NAS simply because it will use less electricity. If you want storage and have the ability to do other things, buy a used server. DL370's, R410's, R210's are all getting insanely cheap these days. All can be had with at least 16gb of ram and sometimes RAID controllers for under $100.

Of all the branches of men in the forces, there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the Submariners." - Sir Winston Churchill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in