Darkness, a Corsair 750D build (48TB) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Darkness, a Corsair 750D build (48TB)

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Darkness, a Corsair 750D build (48TB)

I mean who better than to keep my important data safe than Darkness?

Is there anything she is not willing to take for fun, I mean to protect her friends.

Also, I mean who else are you going to trust all your information to?

Yes for those wondering this is yet another character from konosuba as I felt it would be fun to have someone to go with Megumin and if we already got a system for the best girl we might as well have one for the second best as well.

Unlike my previous build I will not be going out of my way to make the actual build physically themed for Darkeness. It is just a server but at least I can have some fun with my Windows profile.

Onto the build!!

Specs:
Case: 750D Airflow
CPU: RYZEN 3 1200
M/B: X470 Taichi Ultimate
RAM: M391A1G43EB1-CPBQ (8GB ECC)
PSU: SSR-1000TR
HBA Card: 2x AOC-SAS2LP-MV8
HBA HT: 2x SLF-1 Ultra
SSD Cache: 2x 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB (One on each of the separate underline drives/arrays in a duplication pool)
GPU: ZOTAC ZT-71304-20L (PCIe x1)
HDDs:
8x 2TB Deskstars
2x 8TB Deskstars
2x 4TB Toshiba
2x 4TB Deskstars

All the drives are ones I already have. I am moving them from an existing computer over to the new one.

--The END of HW based RAID--
One of the big changes in this build from my old one is removing my HW based RAID 6 array and replacing it with a software based solution similar to RAID 10.

I will be using DrivePool and storage spaces to accomplish this. The 2tb drives will be split into two pools which are then pooled together. This is so that backups can be done on the underline 4tb pools so that in the event of data loss only the section containing data loss will require recovery instead of the entire resultant large pool. As you can see raid 0 is used in pairs of the 2tb drives for increased sequential performance. This same method will be applied to the 4tb drives in the future as more are added.

For instructions on how to setup storage spaces to use RAID 0 see: https://www.overclock.net/forum/221-...l#post27659126

[2TB -- RAID 0 -- 2TB]_____________________________________[2TB -- RAID 0 -- 2TB]
----MIRROR POOL-----_____----->Unified Pool of Pools<-----_____----MIRROR POOL-----
[2TB -- RAID 0 -- 2TB]_____________________________________[2TB -- RAID 0 -- 2TB]

The wiring for the HDDs is very deliberate to ensure that drives that are mirrors are never on the same power line or sata controller. Drives that are in the same raid 0 array share the same controller and power line. This is to prevent something like an HBA failure resulting in data not being accessible.

You will see that I have also used primocache with two 970 EVOs as a cache. This is to improve write performance to the system. I had to use two of them as drivepool with real time duplication enabled has a 2x read/write penalty to the cache as it is only a single target. So if you use the same cache for both drives/pools that are being duplicated you will get 2 of everything dumped to it. Thus you need a separate cache for each part. You can see how the cache is split up in the image above.

---ECC RAM---
One of the reasons I went with Ryzen for this build was that I would be able to use ECC ram. Now while ECC ram is not a requirement it is a clear choice to help avoid possible data corruption on a file server. The problem is that I still at the time of my build had not found ANY documented case of someone using ECC ram with Windows and having it work. So although I knew there was ECC ram listed on the QVL for my motherboard I was taking a rick ordering it to find out once and for all if ECC ram does fully work today on windows. As you can see from the image below it does and you can read more about it here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/221-...l#post27646566

--10gbe--
The reason I chose this motherboard (in addition to the 8 sata ports) was the support for 10gbe. My main rig already has support for 5gbe and I wanted to ensure that this build was future proof. I already have a switch that supports 1/2.5/5/10gbe so there was nothing holding me back. The read cache helps me take advantage of some of the benefits but over time as I add more RAID 0 drives and performance improves the 10gb connection will give me plenty of headroom.

--acronis true image--
I managed to get 3 copies of this for free during an amazing newegg special! (after rebate) I am using the program to create daily backups of my server and other computers. The backups of the server drive are stored only on non RAID 0 volumes as in the event of a disaster I need easy access to the files and pulling them from a simple mirror between two drives will be much easier as I would only need to pull a single drive from the system and grab the files. (or I could just download the file from backblaze in a short time). Thanks to compression the backups of the OS are around 13GB and I can even download that for a restore from backblaze in a few min. This makes recovering from most major disasters pretty easy. In the event of a motherboard failure I suppose I would need to rebuild my storage spaces if the new motherboard is very different but honestly I am not sure how easy the recovery process is for those.

This build is highly inspired by the 750D build that fg2chase did here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/221-...tb-server.html
He has been a big help in planning this build and if you have not please check out his thread.

Last edited by zeroibis; 01-23-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here you can see the case before I cut out the drive cage with that hacksaw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSF0291v2.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	7.92 MB
ID:	221178  

Name:	_DSF0292v2.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	221180  

Name:	_DSF0293v2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	8.92 MB
ID:	221182  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here is with the drive cage cut off. I found that if I took the excess metal parts from where I cut and wiggled them back and forth a lot I could get them to break off along a crease line this is how I got it cut off so close using just a hacksaw and some pliers. Why no dremel? Well I could not find it but I did find my hacksaw...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSF0295v2.JPG
Size:	6.23 MB
ID:	221184  

post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Now onto the actual computer part!

Using a RYZEN 3 1200 as this is just a file server so no need for anything faster. I just need ECC support which Ryzen offers and there is ECC ram listed on the QVL for my X470 Taichi Ultimate. Although the 10Gbps card in this will way outclass my 5Gbps that Megumin supports I am planning for the future here. I do have a 10Gb switch so I am already good there.

Some might wonder why not go with one of the Ryzen g series so that I do not need a GPU? Well the issue is that the built in gpu eats an entire 8x slot. By using an external GPU I can run it in 4x or 1x mode so that I can save slots for the HBA cards. I plan to just have 2 HBA cards and use the motherboard for the other 8; however, I may add a third card in the future if I start to use a lot of SSD drives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSF0297v2.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	5.66 MB
ID:	221186  

Last edited by zeroibis; 10-01-2018 at 07:28 AM.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So a big question many have asked since Ryzen released is about ECC support under windows. We have all read that it works and detects under Linux; however, no one that I have found has posted results from Windows tests since Ryzens release. As a result many have avoided running ECC in Ryzen under windows thinking that it will not fully work. Today I can say that from my tests Ryzen ECC is 100% working under windows. I really wish reviewers would have revisited this a few months after Ryzen released as I am sure this was something that MS added support for later on. You can see from the images below that ECC is indeed working on Ryzen and even on the lowest end Ryzen chip.

Note the possible values for memoryerrorcorrection:
0 (0x0) Reserved
1 (0x1) Other
2 (0x2) Unknown
3 (0x3) None
4 (0x4) Parity
5 (0x5) Single-bit ECC
6 (0x6) Multi-bit ECC
7 (0x7) CRC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSF0307v2.JPG
Views:	1165
Size:	5.29 MB
ID:	221192  

Name:	_DSF0308v2.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	7.79 MB
ID:	221196  

Last edited by zeroibis; 10-26-2018 at 05:39 AM.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

After I first tested and verified that the HBA card was working it was time to install an upgraded heatsink. I used the SLF-1 Ultra which was a great fit. Also note that it does mount very tight, you really need to press those pins to get them in the first time. (you can see a photo of one of the pins on the back side which has a good mount.

You can see the process below:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSF0310v2.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	221198  

Name:	_DSF0311v2.JPG
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	221200  

Name:	_DSF0313v2.JPG
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	221202  

Name:	_DSF0314v2.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	4.52 MB
ID:	221204  

Name:	_DSF0316v2.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	5.65 MB
ID:	221206  

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Typo Elemental

Subbed

CPU
AMD Threadripper 1900x
Motherboard
Asus Prime X399-A
GPU
EVGA 1080 Classified
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo
Hard Drive
Intel 750 Series 400GB U.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB
Power Supply
Seasonic 1050w 80+ Gold
Case
Corsair Air 740
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
i5 6600k
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
GPU
Sapphire R9 Nano
RAM
Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
Power Supply
Athena AP-MFATX40 400W Flex-ATX
Cooling
be quiet! ​PURE ROCK ​SLIM
Case
Lian-Li PC-TU 100B
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2401
Keyboard
MK Disco RGB TKL (KBT Brown)
Mouse
Razer Mamba TE
Mouse
Razer Firefly Cloth
Audio
Beyerdynam​ic DT 770 ​Pro 80 ohm
Audio
Antlion Audio ModMic 4 w/ Mute
Audio
Schiit Fulla 2
Other
Noctua NF-A9x14 (x2)
Other
Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-92
Other
Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-60 (x2)
Other
Fractal Design GP12-WT
CPU
i7 6800k
CPU
Xeon e5-1620 V3
Motherboard
EVGA Micro 2
GPU
Asus GTX 780
GPU
Sapphire Fury X
GPU
Sapphire RX 480
RAM
Kingston - FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400
RAM
ADATA - XPG Z1 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400
Hard Drive
SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB
Hard Drive
Kingston - SSDNow V200
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
be quiet! - PURE ROCK
Case
Thermaltake Core V21
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So I see now that the second line of HDD cages need to be moved forward in the case for them to all fit with space for the 24pin connector. What I am doing is moving each subsequent cage forward a few mm by mounting them with standoffs to create spacing. This results in the last two having the required space to fit the HDDs and clear the 24pin connector. The consequence of this is that the case side panel can not fit on anymore. The solution that fg2chase used was to cut the eds of the HDD trays off to free up space. I am exploring a different approach. I do not need or care about having a window so why not abandon it. I can remove the window from the side panel and replace it with a simple piece of cardboard. I can then create some extra space in the area where the HDD cages stick out. If I really cared how it looks I suppose I could make a nice paper mache bump in that area and have everything look pretty nice but I guess I will see how the weather is later this week/weekend. I will likely just make the entire thing out of cardboard and spray paint it. Like I have said earlier in the thread the main directive here is function and if some cardboard gets the job done great.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here you can see all the cadges mounted in. On the left side you can see that each cadge sticks out a few mm from the one below it.

From what I can see there is one drive slot who's mounting position is made difficult due to the position of the 24pin connector blocking easy access to its rear ports. It could be that this drive slot will need to use extensions or something so it can be wired before insertion. I will be taking as many spare hdds as I have and using them to test out the mounting before I move the real drives over. As the towers of drives are only supported at the bottom it is possible to shake them around a bit although I would imagine that the weight from the HDDs would cause them to become pretty solid once occupied. I do however plan to use some large sound proofing foam blocks that I have at the top of the cadges which will wedge them in place. This should help keep them sturdy and hopefully minimize any vibrations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSF0674v2.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	4.65 MB
ID:	221388  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in