Roon Server - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Roon Server

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 124 (Unique: 109)
Roon Server

So my client listens to alot of FLAC and lossless music from live concerts. They had a Drobo (guess how that turned out) and we are now looking at building an SSD based server for them to host Roon on and possibly be a seedbox. Most important quality is fast accessing 15k albums randomly. Please let me know if I can improve on these specs while keeping price in mind (also proposing a threadripper/NVMe based system for ultimate performance)

>> Probably going to do storage space for the drives and nightly mirroring of the pool to the 10TB as backup. Real-time data loss is not a concern.

* NVMe would host OS and Roon database
* SSDs would be primary music storage
* HDD (already own) would server for warm backup, I'm pushing for Google Drive as well

Thanks for your input, been a while since I built a system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Not really sure that you would need SSD for that, unless your trying to search the directory directly for items.

Normally you would create an index or database of the related files which is stored on flash or ram and that database then just opens the file. If you already know the destination there will not be any noticeable delay between it opening from a HDD or SSD.

In your case what matters is the performance of the Roon database of which your best bet is to invest in loading it into RAM for the highest possible performance using a program like Primo Cache or Primo Ramdisk.

So the real question is what the database size for the Roon database and having enough ram to host the database on a ram disk. This will result in the highest possible performance.

You can eliminate all of those SSDs except for your boot disk.

Your also are just operating a glorified file server so unless Roon has some high CPU requirement you could be just fine with a Ryzan 3 and an OC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in