Sage 50 Server Build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Sage 50 Server Build

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-11-2019, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Krispies Level 1

Sage 50 Server Build

Hello all,
I'm building a new computer for our office to run a program called SAGE 50 ACCOUNTS. This computer has to share the database files with 3/4 computers at the same time throughout the day, which is all connected through LAN.
I am wondering what the best route would be to take.
For instance, would it be worth going down the xeon, ECC ram route. Or, just going for a decently specced out workstation with an i3 or i5 and plenty RAM.
I would say we wont want to be spending any more than £700-£800 on it.

cheers all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM
New to Overclock.net
mumford Level 1

most accounting softwares are single thread. So, i3 with ECC ram is all you need. You are playing with finance. Get ECC ram. Get a 1151 socket server mobo from Supermicro. I suggest you call sage 50 and let them tell you how much ram you need. My guess is not much, and 8Gbx2 ddr4 ecc dimm are more than enough. Your budget is fine.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-12-2019, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Krispies Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by mumford View Post
most accounting softwares are single thread. So, i3 with ECC ram is all you need. You are playing with finance. Get ECC ram. Get a 1151 socket server mobo from Supermicro. I suggest you call sage 50 and let them tell you how much ram you need. My guess is not much, and 8Gbx2 ddr4 ecc dimm are more than enough. Your budget is fine.
Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me. I will take your advice on the i3 as you're right it is a single core process so having the 6 or so on the xeon wouldnt do a great deal for the extra money. I'm on the phone to them now waiting in an hour long queue hahah. I will see what they say about the amount of RAM required.
So far i'm looking at getting:
i3-6100
supermicro MBD-X11SSL-F-O
Kingston SSD for boot drive and programs and a standard HDD for storage of work files.
A nice airy case to keep every cool
and a 450watt 80+bronze semi mod psu

Is there any brand of RAM you would specifically recommend? I have been looking into kingston 2400 or crucial 2666.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-12-2019, 12:22 PM
New to Overclock.net
zeroibis Level 1

Sage software does not even fully load the single thread it runs in. I have watched the program tick away for an hour while the cpu, HDD and everything is at 1% load. (even on the client side)

Basically on the server it runs more like a file server. The file that has the database just sits on the disk and the clients just make reads and writes to that file when they need it. (By file I mean the db file and all related files the program needs)

There is not even a process that constantly runs on the server except for your scheduled backup that is literally a scheduled task you create in windows control panel. You do not need server grade anything to run this. Just make sure you got some raid 1 and backups and your good to go.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-12-2019, 02:59 PM
New to Overclock.net
mumford Level 1

ecc ram from crucial, kingston, samsung are all fine. I say crucial 2666. Check supermicro recommended/compatibility ram list.

i3-6100 page says that memory support are

DDR4-1866/2133, DDR3L-1333/1600 @ 1.35V

I would research and find out if 2666 is supported or not.

Personally, I use this for power supply of my NAS.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-156-_-Product

It is the only lower power, gold rated psu that I can found. It does come with a SFX to ATX adapter so no need to buy a separate one.

Last edited by mumford; 02-12-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-12-2019, 03:01 PM
New to Overclock.net
mumford Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
Just make sure you got some raid 1 and backups and your good to go.
I agreed with this. Run a raid 1. How much storage are you currently using? If not too much say less than 2TB. I say Raid 1 SSD on something like this

https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsal..._99_3450_with/

also setup some backup procedures.

Last edited by mumford; 02-12-2019 at 03:24 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2019, 04:52 AM
New to Overclock.net
zeroibis Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by mumford View Post
I agreed with this. Run a raid 1. How much storage are you currently using? If not too much say less than 2TB. I say Raid 1 SSD on something like this

https://old.reddit.com/r/buildapcsal..._99_3450_with/

also setup some backup procedures.

Oh you can get away with way less if it is just for sage.

For us the install takes up about 3GB. Our database including backups of the database is <10GB. We have data going back to when sage was called peachtree, at least 20+ years. Honestly two 100gb drives in raid 1 would be enough for a sage install. Just make sure to place your sage DB on a separate partition or on a separate drive (volume) from the OS.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Krispies Level 1

Hi everyone.
Thanks for all the input and ideas. As @zeroibis has noted sage really does not use up much space. So I'm hoping to find some ECC ram with a supermicro motherboard. I might have to change up the CPU to one that has more support for the ECC RAM as I'm struggling to find many options with the current i3-6100...

I've added two 500gb Hard drives and I'm going to raid them together. We do take backups and keep them offsite but having the extra backup running will be handy. The extra space will also be useful for using that computer as a backup for all documents from other computers on the network.

I will update with a full part list tomorrow.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2019, 07:17 AM
New to Overclock.net
zeroibis Level 1

Just a heads up if you do not require IPMI support than the lowest cost solution to do an ECC build would be to grab a Ryzen 3 and some ECC ram.

You can check the darkness build in my sig for more info on this. In short you can check the QVL of some ryzen motherboards and see what sort of ECC ram they offer and if that fits your needs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2019, 12:06 PM
New to Overclock.net
mumford Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
Oh you can get away with way less if it is just for sage.

For us the install takes up about 3GB. Our database including backups of the database is <10GB. We have data going back to when sage was called peachtree, at least 20+ years. Honestly two 100gb drives in raid 1 would be enough for a sage install. Just make sure to place your sage DB on a separate partition or on a separate drive (volume) from the OS.
Only 10G? The one UHD movie that I watched last weekend is 60G. I would put the sage db on its own raid1 SSD, separate from other hard disk file storage. Database software love ssd.

Last edited by mumford; 02-13-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in