Considering NAS Solution - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Considering NAS Solution

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:02 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 96 (Unique: 64)
If you're accessing your NAS from the LAN you don't need ftp. Setup up Samba on freenas for Windows/Linux machines or NFS for Linux only since NFS is faster than Samba. All your files would then be accessible in whatever filemanger you use. Plus any set-top-box or smart tv with Kodi installed would also have access.

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Hyper Predator M.2
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
:]

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
If you're accessing your NAS from the LAN you don't need ftp. Setup up Samba on freenas for Windows/Linux machines or NFS for Linux only since NFS is faster than Samba. All your files would then be accessible in whatever filemanger you use. Plus any set-top-box or smart tv with Kodi installed would also have access.
Thanks, I have messed around with SMB's and local network drives for my own access - but not to the web. For the web - I found that PLEX makes a nice viewer for me which as you mentioned is much better than FTP for that purpose. However, although PLEX does allow uploading files from devices such as phones... it doesn't let you select individual files which would be the end goal. I could do a work around where I have a private folder people could upload their entire storage to and I could sort it out but... that would be a bit obnoxious

Some of this is a learning experience for me (that I'm looking forward to) as Linux is just about all but greek to me so I've got a pretty steep learning curve. Also with security in mind, and learning of such things, I'm in the process of trying to learn a bit about SSL/TLS and their functions (trying to comprehensively understand, just not copy paste and cross fingers) which although the concept is fairly simple... it's a bit confusing when trying to set it up / deploy it - but right now I'm looking into Let's Encrypt + Certbot...

I've gotten as far as creation of it's own Jail, updating ports (and understanding what I did there), as well as the extraction (extraction being easier to understand)

Please excuse how green I am - if such things are frustrating to you more experienced users I'm trying to be as sufficient as possible without having to have someone hold my hand through the entire processes lol...

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Never Finished

Rep: 259 (Unique: 203)
Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
I cant recall what youtube channel it was but one of the major ones did a video a little while ago about how NAS servers from say Synology are great untill they break and they become a massive pain in the butt to repair since they use custom parts

Think it was gaming nexus that made the video but when i looked i could not find it so i could be wrong about who made the video
I have been looking at NAS severs many times myself and i always come back to but i could just use my PC or build a PC and use it as a NAS sever
A bit of a late quote, but yeah. He and his distributor used synology nas's and both had power supply failures. GN circumvented it by using a regular atx power supply, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a self-contained nas. To make matters worse, GN recommended his distributor a synology nas and shortly afterwards his failed. A couple months after that, his distributor's unit failed. Kinda sad.

Apparently, it's a common issue with those particular units. Newer or different models might not have that issue, but its when things like this happen that make building your own nas so encouraging. No proprietary hardware and you can configure it exactly to your specifications. It might not be as user friendly and you'll have to make time to set things up, but if you have the expertise to do all of that it's a no brainer, imo. Good luck with the build, blucube. I'd give some advice, but I'm a DAS kinda guy

1680 V2 4.5GHz 1.33v | G.Skill Trident X 4X4GB 2400MHz | R4BE | Titan Xp + Morpheus II
Wasabi Mango UHD550 | Rosewill Rise | Thermalright LGM RT
Logitech G600 | G440 | Tt Meka G-Unit Cherry MX Black+Double O-Rings
JBL LSR308s | Temblor T10 | Custom headphones | TEAC-UD501+Passive Preamp | Emotiva BasX A-100
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB | Mediasonic ProBox 8: 7x SG 4TB 1x WD 3TB | SS Prime Ultra Titanium 1KW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
:]

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post
A bit of a late quote, but yeah. He and his distributor used synology nas's and both had power supply failures. GN circumvented it by using a regular atx power supply, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a self-contained nas. To make matters worse, GN recommended his distributor a synology nas and shortly afterwards his failed. A couple months after that, his distributor's unit failed. Kinda sad.

Apparently, it's a common issue with those particular units. Newer or different models might not have that issue, but its when things like this happen that make building your own nas so encouraging. No proprietary hardware and you can configure it exactly to your specifications. It might not be as user friendly and you'll have to make time to set things up, but if you have the expertise to do all of that it's a no brainer, imo. Good luck with the build, blucube. I'd give some advice, but I'm a DAS kinda guy
Lol, thanks! Yes... I feel like the build route was the right decision for me, even if it may not be as "streamlined" as your next option. Though it checks all of the marks thus far...

The one thing I'm curious about is if there is a way to host an Internet Radio service via FreeNAS. Earlier in the thread I think I misunderstood, speaking about shoutcast etc, when it came to Subsonic. Seems like a great little music streamer which I may look into over PLEX (what I'm currently using to stream my own songs)... but as far as Hosting a radio station is concerned - that is what I'll be looking into. I've done just a small amount of google searching and nothing has caught my attention just as of yet. Previously I on my Windows Desktop I used a combination of IceCast, Winamp w/ a EDCast plugin. Though if I could some how accomplish this via the FreeNAS server that would be so much more ideal! I'm guessing it's going to be along the lines of creating a web accessible jail and loading IceCast2 etc etc...

Thanks once again

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 603 (Unique: 288)
I am late to the discussion but I would have recommended using a regular Linus distro and using SnapRAID over FreeNAS instead as it's far more flexible than FreeNAS and you can just use any Linux distro, whether it's Ubuntu Server or Manjaro (not recommended but possible).

I use Mint on my server and it works beautifully, despite being a desktop distro.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:56 PM
Running With Scissors

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by blucube View Post
Thanks. Something like this will give me something to chew on.

Not to say I don't thank everyone else! There has been some good options here - as much as there are online solutions available the point in case here I guess is... I know lol Perhaps I messed up by stating WHAT I wanted to use a NAS server for vs. just NAS server options... build.. prebuilt etc. HOW I want to use it once the hardware/options have been researched - I can work all of that out from there.

Thanks again!

====

Although I know my pursuit of this may make many faceplams happen but... just tinkering around with brand new build options for a project/NAS build (I do have old PC parts laying around, but I'm kinda itching for something shiny... that new PC smell and what not):

CPU: Intel - Pentium Gold G5400 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor ($83.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - H310M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($120.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($120.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.83 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Toughpower SFX 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $648.08

It REALLY doesn't need to be super performance oriented but... shopping prices etc. and the potential that maybe one day I'll find performance benefits... Please don't feel I'm ignoring suggestions... I hear you all - just haven't changed the direction that I'm sailing this ship just yet...
For the hardware you can consider this "combo" Mobo + Cpu and to pair with cheap ddr3 1333 ram module.
https://www.amazon.it/Biostar-A68N-5...1JPGQQFZD1N3SD

It packs all the horsepower you need for a NAS, and something more at a very low price.
When my NAS will die, (an old reliable Dell laptop from 2006 running XigmaNAS https://www.xigmanas.com/) i'll consider a build with that mobo and a very little itx case like a silverstone sugo, or THIS https://www.amazon.it/GOLDEN-FIELD-N...E41PM4F27C69MX

Anyway, the node 304 is a great case! My gaming pc is built around it as you can see in my sig, but for the NAS i'm looking for something SMALLER
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Linux > All

Rep: 60 (Unique: 55)
Quote: Originally Posted by Liranan View Post
I am late to the discussion but I would have recommended using a regular Linus distro and using SnapRAID over FreeNAS instead as it's far more flexible than FreeNAS and you can just use any Linux distro, whether it's Ubuntu Server or Manjaro (not recommended but possible).

I use Mint on my server and it works beautifully, despite being a desktop distro.
Indeed. For non changing data snapraid is flawless. I use it in combination with MergerFS on my server for media storage. Haven't heard a peep out of it yet. Very flexible and easy to upgrade / add to. Do a few scripts to keep an eye on your storage capacity, scrub on cron and away you go.

yessir.gif[Free Your Mind!]yessir.gif
devil.gif
echo"The`uname`Club"devil.gif

"Figure out everything you want in life right now, then plan on spending the next 25 years getting it piece by piece..."

Think Different. List of Linux System Builders / Retailers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in