Considering NAS Solution - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Considering NAS Solution

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
:]

Rep: 0
Considering NAS Solution

Firstly, I just started looking into NAS - Never considered it before the last week or so. As of late, I've been getting into more remote management techniques for my primary home network / desktop. Problem is - my primary Desktop is my performance machine that is OC'd etc. and in order to use it as a server etc. is starting to bug me a bit.

So that's reason #1 - #2 is... I recently had twins, and the mother and her family are completely obsessed with pictures and videos and the like. Like, ridiculous amounts. However, they always want ways to share and access said content... and of course are worried about the loss of said content being mostly on cell phones etc.

So, not only for storage... backup etc... but I was kind of hoping that with NAS that there would be some user friendly options I could configure with the help of NAS to allow her, her family and myself to basically be able to access pictures / videos from anywhere - as well upload/backup pictures and videos any time, any where there is a data connection present.

----

Is NAS right for me? I like messing around with tech stuff... period... so that in it's self makes me interested. However, I wanted to see if NAS would be a good solution considering the above. If so - is prebuilt or custom built my best options? If prebuilt, do you have suggestions? If custom built... do you have suggestions? I guess a big thing is for her and her family - I'm sure I can make a solution I can figure out how to use but I was hoping that there is software etc. that would make it a little more plug in play to use/access from PC's or even better... mobile devices...

Thanks any pointers!

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Eh, Wha?

Rep: 719 (Unique: 531)
A NAS is exactly what you want. One easily accessible centralized storage solution for backing up and sharing all those photos, and whatever else you'd like. You can mount it as a folder on your various systems to make usage totally seamless to any of the less technically inclined users in the family. I'd opt for a solution with physical redundancy, such as RAID 1. As for prebuilt or DIY, that's really going to be up to you to decide.

Systems: Fukurou | Prodigy | Tempest | ArcaneServers: Minecraft SMP | Logs: Build Log - Arcane | Video Logs: Project Arcane
Quote:Originally Posted by Zen00 https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gifZero, you are a master story teller, I am sleep now. http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Arcane
(33 items)
Sanctum
(9 items)
Fukurou
(14 items)
CPU
Core i7 980x
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI DUKE
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning
RAM
Kingston HyperX T1
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black FASS
Hard Drive
Plextor M5S
Hard Drive
WD Velociraptor
Hard Drive
WD FALS
Optical Drive
Sony DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
Optical Drive
LG Bluray + HDDVD
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 P2
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 360
Cooling
Black Ice GTX 240
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro (64)
Monitor
X-Star DP2710
Monitor
ASUS VK266H Black 25.5" 2ms LCD
Keyboard
X-Armor U9BL (Mech)
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
Cougar Control
Audio
ATH-A900X
Audio
Maudio AV-40
Audio
Polk PSW-10
Audio
Zalman Mic-1 (Clip-on Mic)
Audio
Sound Blaster X7 LE
Other
Logitech G13
Other
Wacom Intuos 3
Other
Modded PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and Logitech PC Controllers
Other
Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS
Other
Rocketfish 720p Webcam
Other
Scythe "3-Foot Switch"
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
MSI B350M Mortar Arctic
GPU
RX Vega 64
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Consatellation
Power Supply
Corsair HX 1050
Case
Raijintek Aeneas White Window
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Core i5-661
Motherboard
GA-H55-USB3
RAM
12GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Black AALS 640GB
Hard Drive
WD Caviar Green EARS 2TB
Hard Drive
Vertex Turbo 60GB (SSD)
Optical Drive
Samsung Blu-ray, Samsung DVD Burner
Power Supply
Seasonic X750 Gold
Cooling
H50 (With push/pull nocturas)
Case
CM690 II
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64
Monitor
LG 47inch LED LCD
Keyboard
Saitek Eclipse Lite-touch Wireless
Audio
Passive bookshelfspeakers + amp.
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post
A NAS is exactly what you want. One easily accessible centralized storage solution for backing up and sharing all those photos, and whatever else you'd like. You can mount it as a folder on your various systems to make usage totally seamless to any of the less technically inclined users in the family. I'd opt for a solution with physical redundancy, such as RAID 1. As for prebuilt or DIY, that's really going to be up to you to decide.
Thanks! The more I looked into it - the more behind the times I felt... almost a shame I'm just now looking into it. Though - that's why I take to the OC forums. In my experience I can find really well written documentation, reviews etc. on software/hardware - but I like to check with OC's users on such things to make sure that the documentation I read etc. isn't out of date only to find that I went the hard way, or expensive way, around achieving results that are now sub par to the newer and more improved. Or, to make sure I don't dive in and invest when there may be an interesting option/technology around the corner that it might be worth waiting for to see if it'll be the better option!

Price is always in the air... just looking on amazon it seemed like most prebuilt were running 200-300 on the lower end... roughly. FreeNAS from what I read is pretty awesome - but just like most DIY, how dependable can I make it for the less technically inclined opposed to running - say - a Synology unit?

I will say my #1 primary goal is the "cloud" Pic/Video "media center" option for the 0 tech IQ people. Although I will have plenty of my own uses for my personal storage / server based activities... perhaps it may be better when thinking about the future to plan 2 different NAS options. One specifically for the Pic/Vid cloud server... and one for my uses that can be a little more tech oriented.

Opinions - thoughts or anything are welcome and very much appreciated! ...and helps with my anxieties ;p

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2733 (Unique: 1624)
I cant recall what youtube channel it was but one of the major ones did a video a little while ago about how NAS servers from say Synology are great untill they break and they become a massive pain in the butt to repair since they use custom parts

Think it was gaming nexus that made the video but when i looked i could not find it so i could be wrong about who made the video
I have been looking at NAS severs many times myself and i always come back to but i could just use my PC or build a PC and use it as a NAS sever

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 319 (Unique: 231)
What you describe a need for is more of an online accessible service = server that can show you pictures and videos.
NAS is nothing more than a PC/server that's "designed/named" to be primarily for storage, often at home, small office and no online access, only LAN.
A shared dropbox etc. that automatically uploads/backsup your devices would be a zero investment solution unless your data volume requires a paid storage plan. Google probably has the same thing with drive and it can host unlimited amount of photos as long as you're fine with compression/quality limits.

Instead of buying some prebuilt NAS I would rather make or get something more reusable and repairable. Or repurpose an old PC.

Getting stuff accessible online is tricky as you often need to pay for a static IP, for nontechnicals also for DNSname so they don't have to use an IP and you have to run some kind of server on your machine, deal with security and so on.

Want more control make your own, want it cheap and easy use file hosting services or social media sites (eh, if you want everything public or close to public or hope it won't go public some day by mistake).
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
I cant recall what youtube channel it was but one of the major ones did a video a little while ago about how NAS servers from say Synology are great untill they break and they become a massive pain in the butt to repair since they use custom parts

Think it was gaming nexus that made the video but when i looked i could not find it so i could be wrong about who made the video
I have been looking at NAS severs many times myself and i always come back to but i could just use my PC or build a PC and use it as a NAS sever
That's a great point

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
What you describe a need for is more of an online accessible service = server that can show you pictures and videos.
NAS is nothing more than a PC/server that's "designed/named" to be primarily for storage, often at home, small office and no online access, only LAN.
A shared dropbox etc. that automatically uploads/backsup your devices would be a zero investment solution unless your data volume requires a paid storage plan. Google probably has the same thing with drive and it can host unlimited amount of photos as long as you're fine with compression/quality limits.

Instead of buying some prebuilt NAS I would rather make or get something more reusable and repairable. Or repurpose an old PC.

Getting stuff accessible online is tricky as you often need to pay for a static IP, for nontechnicals also for DNSname so they don't have to use an IP and you have to run some kind of server on your machine, deal with security and so on.

Want more control make your own, want it cheap and easy use file hosting services or social media sites (eh, if you want everything public or close to public or hope it won't go public some day by mistake).
That, is also a good point. However, as you mentioned I personally don't want files to be compressed. I do own my own domains as well as DDNS. A lot of all of which is really unnecessary, just like most of the things that I think could be cool to do with something like a NAS server. I know I'm going the long and hard way around and re-eventing the wheel but... I'm a tech/project dude... I enjoy it, probably my only real hobby these days... Ya know?

So yes, end game was to use my domain and DDNS to somehow establish my own cloud service... Which could be done with my desktop but I don't care to run it 24/7 any longer and although I have WOL, I'd get tired of turning it on and off lol...

Though the software and how accessible and user friendly it could be is probably the biggest concern as I don't see FTPing around working very well... I'm not great at coding otherwise could probably make a pretty cool solution that's probably super easy for people who can code lol...

But yes! It's why I'm researching... To see if it's worth the effort / possible in the ways I think I need 🙂

Last edited by blucube; 03-27-2019 at 06:21 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:02 PM
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 98 (Unique: 66)
Build your own NAS. I'm personally against repurposing older systems to use as a NAS. The NAS is most likely going to be on 24/7 so having the most energy efficient system is key. i3 CPU's are perfect....they're not going to kill your electric bill and they have plenty of power. My NAS is in my sig.

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVOPlus
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Have you looked into something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Home-Pe...gateway&sr=8-4

Its not a NAS server but, its a cheap alternative to just back up pics.

Asus Z390 Rig
(12 items)
CPU
i7 8700K @ 5233 MHZ
Motherboard
Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390
RAM
32GB G. Skill Ripjaws V
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe 500GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin 1TB SSD
Power Supply
Corsair RM 850X
Cooling
Corsair H115i PRO
Case
Bitfenix Enso Mesh
Operating System
Windows 10 X64
Monitor
Samsung
Keyboard
iClever Wireless - Chargeable
Mouse
iClever Wireless
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 19)
qnap or synology, i choose qnap but i use mine as movie/music server

If your not a data hog like me then an external plugged into netgear router is another option, nighthawk routers
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 04:35 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 433 (Unique: 331)
NAS + Google Drive (or similar)

For what you described, I'd honestly probably just have a Google Drive account.

IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN, R.I.P.
ASUS ROG Rampage IV Black Owners Club || PNW Overclockers Club
BMW TJ07 Build Log -- The Ultimate Cooling Machine
2 year anniversary In Remembrance of a Great - RIP Syrillian
Overkill FreeNAS
(11 items)
Play Server
(10 items)
CPU
Intel i7 3930k @4.8-5.2
Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
GPU
nVidia Titan XP
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
Hard Drive
Intel 750 400GB
Hard Drive
Intel 750 1.2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200i
Cooling
2x Swiftech D5 w/ EK Dual Pump Top
Cooling
XSPC EX480, EX360 & 2x Phobya 1080
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block
Cooling
EK Advanced 250mL Res
Cooling
Lamptron FC-5V2
Cooling
EK Rampage IV BE Water Block
Cooling
Copper Tubing w/ push fittings
Cooling
EK-FC Titan XP Copper/Acetal
Case
Silverstone TJ07, heavily modified
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Samsung U28D590D 4K
Keyboard
Leopold Otaku
Mouse
Corsair M65
Mouse
Corsair MM600
Audio
Sennheiser HD595 / HD428 / HD280
Audio
Corsair SP2500
Other
Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC
CPU
E5-2670v1
CPU
E5-2670v1
Motherboard
Supermicro X9DRL-iF
Hard Drive
12x HGST 4TB CoolSpin
Hard Drive
6x WD Red 8TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960TB SSD
Power Supply
Corsair AX750
Cooling
2x Noctua nh-u9dxi4
Cooling
3x Scythe AP-30
Case
Norco 4224
Operating System
FreeNAS
CPU
Intel Xeon L5640
CPU
Intel Xeon L5640
Motherboard
Dell R710 Mobo
RAM
Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R
Hard Drive
Intel X25-M G2 80GB
Power Supply
Redundant 840W PSU
Case
Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance
Other
Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC
Other
Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller
Other
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in