From 4-node Server Cluster -> Single AIO Server + PC -> Server/Gaming VM in one box - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

From 4-node Server Cluster -> Single AIO Server + PC -> Server/Gaming VM in one box

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 116 (Unique: 73)
From 4-node Server Cluster -> Single AIO Server + PC -> Server/Gaming VM in one box

It's been quite the journey the past few years. Three years ago I did a major network overhaul building a 22U server rack that would house a 4-node vSAN cluster for my home network services and a test environment. See here.

Well, shortly after that I got married and over time I decided I wanted less time dedicated to maintaining my network and more time with my wife (or less late nights after the wifey was alseep). So I downsized my 4-node cluster down to a single all-in-one Unraid storage/VM/container server. No build log for this but the latest iteration of this AIO server is here.

Lately I've been staring at my PC (sig rig) every day being pretty much completely unused as I don't game anymore and mining is no longer profitable. I considered selling it but I spent a lot of time on this build and love it. Furthermore, I'll never be able to buy this case again so it's hard to let go. So I started to think, how can I even further downsize my network while still maintaining the same level of functionality while also making use of the hardware in my PC. That's when it hit me...Migrate my Unraid server OS and data drives over to my SMA8a and create a Windows 10 "gaming" VM with passed through hardware.

So that project is underway. It started with testing the following:

STEP 1: Create a Windows 10 VM with one Threadripper die (8c/16t), one 1080Ti, NVMe controller, and USB controller passed through to it. That has been a success. The Windows 10 VM works perfectly with the passed through hardware and with a PCIe USB controller passed through (which is also connected to the front panel of my case) the VM acts just like my bare metal PC did (just minus 16 threads).

STEP 2: Pass the second 1080Ti through to my Plex docker container. This requires the installation of the LSIO Nvidia plugin, and two scripts to both remove the 2 simultaneous transcode limit on the 1080Ti and to add NVDEC decode support until Plex adds it. This also was pretty easy to setup and get working. As you can see from the attached screenshot (just for kicks, I won't be transcoding 4K) I was able to get six simultaneous 4K HDR10 file transcoding down to 4Mbps 720p quality at once with the GPU at less than 50% usage while CPU usage was basically nothing. A subsequent test had 5 x265 HEVC 1080p files transcoding simultaneously (must more of a real world application) and the GPU was at 10% usage. The 1080Ti with the stream limit removed is basically the same card as a Quadro P6000 .

The final part of this project now is building a JBOD case to put my 8 x 10TB WD Gold drives into in order to connect it to my ASRock x399 Taichi MoBo. I have a U-NAS 810a case for this that I'm repuprosing from my backup server. I've already purchased a JBOD power board and SFF-8088 -> SFF-8087 card which will connect to an SFF-8088 HBA connected to my x399 Taichi.

The final test it benchmarking the speed of the drives while connected via the SFF-8088 cables. If that tests as expected I will be migrating my storage over to the JBOD case. Since my Server and PC will be under the same "roof" I no longer have any need for a 10Gb switch (and certainly not a 24 port one) so I plan to sell my Cisco SG350XG-24F switch and my current server hardware (minus most of the storage). The U-NAS case will fit perfectly in that little square spot in the lower right corner under my PC.

Server and PC under one roof...man things certainly have changed .

No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. ~ Socrates
OCN Workout/Fitness Club

Last edited by PuffinMyLye; 03-28-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in