Lenovo Think Station D30 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Lenovo Think Station D30

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Lenovo Think Station D30

OK,

I've decided to buy a used Lenovo Think Station D30 motherboard. I didn't realize this but the Lenovo Think Station D30 was a complete computer that someone would buy rather like a Dell or HP - I mention this just in case you too didn't know this.

OK, I've built several now so I'm not too worried but there is a concern over the following.

The USB 3.0 header on the motherboard is Lenovo's own "proprietary" connector that looks like this - Please see attached.

So now I and you know what this looks like - And also where it goes on the motherboard.

The plan is to use my own case - SSE CEB - A short list of xyz..........but all the cases have the standard 20 pin connector for the USB 3.0 for the front panel which will be female on the PC CASE internal USB 3.0 cable but male usually on the motherboard for connection like we all know.

OK what I need is to put have a cable like in the picture below -----also with ----- the usual male 20 pin connection that looks like this in the bottom right hand corner.

If this can be achieved then the connection can be made and if it works the front panel USB 3.0 would work.

So, I'm hoping some TECH person here can point me in the right direction to achieve this at a sensible cost.

I've done the ground work on this but just need that final solution or if there is no solution the front panel USB 3.0 can't be used - Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D30 USB PROBLEM.png
Views:	4
Size:	650.1 KB
ID:	296912  

Click image for larger version

Name:	usb-3.0-header__42520_zoom ON MOBO.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	296914  

Last edited by fra z; 09-19-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 04:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 24)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes I get your idea but is the connector the right type eg identical? - or Lenovo adapted.......the board hasn't arrived yet but your idea of a pci-e card is noted.

I've just ordered some, in fact, Vantec do one with 2 x USB on the card as per usual (type A)__&__also a 20 pin on the back of the card ----It's worth a go>>>>so when the time comes (hopefully) next few weeks I'll post back here with an update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 03:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

It is going to be the standard adapter size, not the lenovo adapted one. So as long as you have a standard 20 pin, the card will work the best.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by TheOwlHootHoot View Post
It is going to be the standard adapter size, not the lenovo adapted one. So as long as you have a standard 20 pin, the card will work the best.
Ah but......the USB header on the Lenovo D30 motherboard is the special lenovo connector and not the 20 pin so unless the PCI-e card fits into the special Lenovo connector there is no way to interface the two connectors.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 04:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

I'm confused. You are using a motherboard with a non-standard usb header.

You are wanting to plug in a standard 20 pin usb to your non-stanard usb header on your motherboard.

You instead use this PCI-E adapter that not only works with you motherboard, but will act at an interface for your standard 20-pin usb header. This PCI-E adapter plugs in your PCI slot, not your USB header.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hello,

Yes the Lenovo D30 was intended for a Lenovo chassis with the internal cabling interfacing with the USB header on the motherboard which is a Lenovo proprietary connector.

And yes I've reached the conclusion an Vantec PCI-e X4 to USB adapter with the 20 pin connector onboard to connect to the front panel connector of the computer case.

People have sold these motherboards separately online and this is a common problem for people to look for a solution that doesn't exist.

Sorry for any conclusion but the best work around is to use a PCI-e to USB adapter - Thanks

>>> On a different note how do you draw colored circles around a picture of a motheboard? - Paint? - or another application?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in