XCP-NG server with PLEX VM - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

XCP-NG server with PLEX VM

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 119)
XCP-NG server with PLEX VM

So, the situation. I want to shut down my old Dell 2900 server that does some hosting for games and TS plus move some jails off my FreeNAS box. The plan is to build an XCP-NG server to host all of this. Most of the stuff is pretty straight forward with one exception, Plex. Why? Well, I ran into an issue on my FreeNAS box that caused my quad-core Xeon to cry when it had to transcode 4K movies. Especially for remote clients. Not so much an issue in my house since those all direct play. Basically I am looking fora sanity check on my plans.

Core build - AMD Ryzen 5 1600, 32GB RAM, B450 board (undecided what one exactly), and a GPU (undecided)

I selected these parts for cost reasons vs performance. Most of the VM's I will be running won't need a ton of CPU power outside Plex at times. That is where the GPU comes in. I plan to take advantage of GPU passthrough on XCP-NG to allow GPU accelerated transcoding in plex.

I already have a 2U case with three expansion card slots just laying here. I won't need much local storage, just enough for the VM's. I plan to use iSCSI on FreeNAS to connect the movie files to the VM. I will likely add a 10GB card to both the file server and the VM server for the iSCSI interface. This all sounds good in my head, but before I get too deep into things, I want to make sure I am not making any extreme errors here.

Oh, in case of anyone wondering, most of the VM's will be Linux VM's. Plex included. Likely just a stripped-down Debian install with only the bare essentials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So, I am a genius with a great idea and no one want to admit it. Or an idiot and no one wants to tell me. Or no one has any better idea than I do on how to go forward with this. lol
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:25 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 262 (Unique: 154)
You're my kinda idiot. I'm running vms on my esx box on iscsi shared storage from FreeNAS. I only have 1gb right now, need me some 10gb.

Theres always a risk basically with using FreeNAS and iscsi this way, especially with VMware apparently (check out sync vs no sync writes). I chose to split redundant vms across a small ssd hardware raid pool in esx and shared iscsi storage from FreeNAS. I also made sure to thick provision any FreeNAS based vm. Obviously, back up your S. I only have the VMs on the hw ssd raid array and the FreeNAS iscsi big enough for the OS. In my case, I store data that I wont use much to unraid (yeah I have a 4u for that too) and stuff I'll need to work on a bit on a different FreeNAS share.

Esx - 2x 10c/20t v3 xeons, 32gb 2133R ecc (ran out, need 32 more), all on an x10dri from supermicro. Lots of vms, victim vms for security learning, encoder vms, gaming vm - this one is neat

Unraid - 1151 platform, dual core pentium (thinking about going to a 2011R3 platform), 4gb ecc unbuffered, 3tb data drives - two paritys. Mostly media and software here

Freenas - mainly for iscsi for esx and the new/next hypervisor box - 2011 v2 xeon, 64gb ram (might add x2 32gb dimms), many ssds from multiple ssd lots on the bay, some spinning rust for bigger sfuffs

It's a bustling little (not really, 42u rack with 18u filled) homelab.

I can dig the 1600, thinking about setting up a non VMware hypervisor on a 1st gen Ryzen also.

Last edited by Mr.N00bLaR; 11-13-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Your setup sounds pretty sweet. Have any pics?

I plan to run the VM's off SSD's. The iSCSI link will just be to the media storage on the FreeNAS box.

My setup is not as elaborate as yours. I am using all Ubiquiti Unifi network gear to manage in the house stuff. Pfsesne on the edge. Besides the pile of client machines, I currently have Syncthing, Unifi controller, and Plex all in jails on the freenas. The VM machine will take those running each in their own Debian VM. The FreeNAS box just has Xeon 1241 V3 quad-core. Plenty for the most part, until 4K became a thing in my house.

I also want to shutdown the Dell 2900 that draws 300watts at idle. So, plan to fire up a Windows VM as well. That one will host some game servers and a TS server. None of that needs a lot of power. So, I figure the 1600 should be plenty. Neither machine really spins up much when doing what they do now, with the exception of Plex. For me, that is the most brutal thing I have on my servers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in