Multi Use Home Server Options - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Multi Use Home Server Options

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
BSME

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Multi Use Home Server Options

I finally decided to update my main rig (First Build). I have had the same computer for going on ten years now. With all of the new AMD stuff coming out I couldn't help myself and am going to put together the new rig in my sig (10 year upgrade). It should be a beast!

With that being said I plan to turn my existing (First Build) rig into a home server. I have been doing some reading around and looking at different options. I have a few things I would like it to accomplish, which hopefully can be done with the one box.

Here is a list of things I would like to accomplish with this transformed build in a semi prioritized list.

1. Storage. I have a 1TB drive in my machine now along with two or three other various external HDDs and they are starting to fill up. My real concern here is data loss. Some of these drives are fairly old and I would like to get some sort of redundancy going instead of just ignoring the issue. I am thinking some sort of RAID? I would like this to be expandable in the future by throwing another disk in occasionally, and not have to buy a whole bunch of disks if possible.

1A. NAS. I'm not sure if this is obvious but I would like the storage to be accessible across my network and potentially outside of the network.

2. Web Server. I run two small websites, currently from raspberry pi's which I would like to migrate over to a more powerful machine. If it matters I run nginx/mariadb.

3. E-mail Server. I also have a small email server on the pi's for my wife and I tat I would like to migrate.

4. Minecraft Server. My brothers and I enjoy playing minecraft from time to time. I'm not talking 100's of players at a time.

5. Media Server. Most of what I have spread out across the drives currently is media (photos, home videos, music, etc...) I would like a way for the whole family to stream, view, etc... from wherever.

6. VPN. Not exactly sure what options exist here and if this is strictly necessary - I think this would essentially be the way I would access from outside my network?

7ish... Code repo, sftp, vms, mqtt, ssh...

11. Tinkering and learning...

That last point is a good way to explain why I am asking for it to do so many things. I definitely enjoy learning and playing around with different things.

Am I asking too much of one server? Right now the pi's are handling all of the web duties and this machine, even at 10 years old, blows them out of the water. I know storage and media serving can be taxing, but it is just my wife and I (soon to be my daughter) that will be using this. What sort of internal networking upgrade (if any) would I need to make this worthwhile? Currently on a Netgear Nighthawk X4 router.

Like I mentioned I did some reading - there was a good thread here - about different options. Unraid, freenas, owncloud, samba, zfs, btrfs... I would say I am comfortable in a linux environment (debian, raspbian, ubuntu) and figure that will be the way to go for something like this, but I am definitely not sure. I am looking for advice here for sure. I know this is a lot to unpack but I do appreciate any of the info and am looking forward to the learning process.

///M
First Build
(15 items)
10 Year Upgrade
(9 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield
Motherboard
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
GPU
MSI RADEON RX480 8GB
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws 2 x 8GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX 300
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 6gb/s 7200rpm Drive
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Drive
Power Supply
Corsair 650TX 650 Watt
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Case
Antec Three Hundred
Operating System
Windows 7 64-bit Home
Monitor
Dell U2417H
Monitor
Dell U2417H
Keyboard
Apple USB Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU
RX480
RAM
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium
Cooling
Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4
Case
NZXT 500
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Linux Gamer

Rep: 59 (Unique: 41)
It sounds like you are on the right track as far as what software to use to accomplish the tasks you want on Linux. You can install and config OpenVPN and use it to access your machine outside your network, you can also use certain VPN services with OpenVPN if you wish, like Private Internet Access for example has an OpenVPN config. Samba will give you file access across your network. For a media server, you can use something like Plex or Emby (both of which can be made to work with Kodi too).

I'm by no means (anything resembling) a server expert, but I don't think you're asking too much from one server. You might find you're not happy with performance doing all of that on an 1156 system, but I think that will depend on how many of those tasks you'll be running at the same time. If you want to use ZFS you might find you want more RAM, and ideally ECC memory (if your board supports error correction). I'd think the router will be fine if it's served you well so far.

As far as file systems, BTRFS is still rough and has many missing, broken, or unoptimized features, whereas ZFS is mature, fully functional, and very stable, albeit ZFS implementation into Linux is still technically in beta I believe.

ZFS on Linux is pretty amazing once you get past the learning curve, it even feels to me like magic sometimes to be honest, like what it's doing should be impossible (eg: snapshot or roll back a pool to a point in time instantly with one command, lz4 compression with no speed loss, incremental backups are absurdly fast, etc). I've been using it for a couple years and it saved me from corruption a few times already. No major issues, although I always wait at least a couple weeks before going with the latest version and check the issues section on github beforehand as well.

Other than the learning curve, there are a couple things to consider about ZFS on Linux. The Linux kernel developers broke SIMD support (by denying CPU FPU access (or some such thing) to non-GPL applications like ZFS) with kernel 5.0+, then backported the breakage into some LTS kernels etc., the effect is gimped disk performance. So one is forced to carefully select an older kernel and wait until ZFS on Linux developers create a work around which is supposed to come next year, run a patched kernel (or a distro like NixOS that includes said patches by default IIRC), or suffer gimped disk performance. The other thing to consider is if you wish to install the root OS on ZFS it looks like a pain (I decided to use a ZFS root later, so I pretty much just copy/pasted the ext4 OS onto ZFS datasets), not to mention getting grub to boot off ZFS took quite a bit of trial and error.

You can do raid on ZFS but mirrors always seemed like a better option, for me anyway. The downside is you need to use 2 drives (or more) but only get the capacity of 1 drive. It also makes things not as straight forward as just adding a drive to get more capacity. Yet it is simple compared to raid (eg: no striping) and (IIRC) faster, and, though it's not a replacement for a backup, it offers very good protection from file corruption or disk failure because data is exists on both drives.

FreeNAS (or similar) appears to be easier to use than ZFS on Linux, but it seems like it's less flexible, to the point where I'm not sure you can accomplish all you want to with it. If you check their available add-ons and documentation, you might be able to tell. You could do much of (or all of) what you want on Windows I imagine (it may even be easier) but then you're forced to use NTFS, which is certainly sub-optimal, but not the end of the world.

Hope that helps.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in