Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

View Single Post
post #45 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Jhereg10
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
14. Side WIndow Planning

Alright, next up is planning the size and location for the side-panel window while I start work on fiberglassing the front panel. I'm interested in any feedback here.

Here is the interior showing relative locations of the components:

Note: These are not the final mobo/psu/drives for this system. They are old stuff that I don't care if it gets banged up from installing/uninstalling multiple times so I have something to test fit.

And the current side panel:

Here are a few possible variations on window size and position. Apologies for the rough look there, I just took Photoshop and erased some of the upper layer to get a feel for looks.

Which do you think provides the best aesthetics?

MOBO ONLY:

MOBO AND PARTIAL CAGE:

ALL BUT UPPER CAGE:

FULL WINDOW:

I'm concerned about the last two because of structural integrity. That steel side-panel is pretty floppy. However, considering acrylic is probably more stable than the steel, having a side window might actually stiffen the panel up.

Thoughts or preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XorioZ View Post

damn dude.

This is so nostalgic.
Reminds me of mods made back when water-cooling wasn't commonplace and all cases where beige.
You know back when thermaltake didn't exist and Antec was a big deal.
With the CPU's just breaking the 1 GHz barrier.

Mods back then where all made with stuff bought in the hardware store, homemade led chains and your imagination.

Makes me want to do an old-school air cooled case mod smile.gif

Subed

And thank you. I tell you, this is a blast. And get this... I found a repair shop nearby that *might* provide me a nearly endless supply for tinkering.