Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

View Single Post
post #120 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Jhereg10
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
28. MOBO TRAY WINDOW THAT ALMOST WASN'T

Another small but correctable oops. This tray is old. So old that it wasn't precut for access to the back of the mobo to install an aftermarket CPU cooler backplate. I had intended to cut the window for that before painting and priming, but I got ahead of myself and then kept putting it off.

Well I decided I couldn't dither any longer.

First step: How big is that opening supposed to be? And where? I had no idea...

So I grabbed a picture of my Gigabyte mobo from teh interwebz and threw it into Visio (love that program) and marked the location of the mobo mounting holes and cooler mounting holes:

Pasted a photo I took of my Corsair case into there, scaled it so the holes matched, and layered it behind the mobo:

And finally, marked where the holes were, where the back of the CPU was, etc. That gave me this:

Hiding the back layers, I got this:

Printed that out and actually installed it using standoffs as a template over my modded case's motherboard tray.

AppleMark

Using that template, I traced out how big I needed the window (green), as well as tracing out any existing contours of the tray (pink):

AppleMark

Cut out the hole in the paper I had marked marked for the window, and taped around the resulting shape to protect the tray's finished surfaces as much as possible during cutting:

AppleMarkAppleMark

Some dremel cutting and grinding:

AppleMark

And voila. Looks pretty good, other than the fact that I mangled some of my hard-earned paint job by doing this in the wrong order. No harm. A bit of sanding and touch-up:

AppleMarkAppleMark

And the final product:

AppleMark