Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - View Single Post - [Case Mod] [COMPLETE] December MOTM 2nd Place! - Relic: A BeigeMod First Case Mod

View Single Post
post #145 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Jhereg10
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 22)
31. TEST FIT FEET AND MORE ACCENT PAINTING

I still can't get the holes centered like I want. I did use a sharp bit with an easy-start tip, as Animal0307 suggested, and marked the hole with pencil on tape. But silly me I didn't prepunch or predrill a smaller hole (which I will do next time). So two of the holes were about 1/16 off-center.

Used a file to bring the hole back to center.

AppleMarkAppleMark

AppleMark

As you can see below, the machine screws will hide the error. Only you will know I screwed up. wink.gif

So let's see what those feet will look like on there. I added some washers temporarily so I don't have a lot of extra screw sticking out. Technically, I expect the intent was to mount the screw head under the feet, with the nuts inside the case. But I preferred the cleaner look of the screw heads in the case. I'll have to get or make a spacer for this.

AppleMark

Here are a few more shots, just to get a feel for how it's going to look:

AppleMarkAppleMark

I think it looks awesome. And it gets the case well off the surface for very good air flow to the PSU.

And now on to the painting. Is it a sin that I'm beginning to grow weary of masking off areas and painting them?

TIL:

Don't cut corners on masking. The accent color you are spraying will sneak in between layers of paper/tape and get where you least expect it. Just a fine dusting in spots, and I think I can polish it off. But still.

Also, I want an airbrush setup. Rattlecans are just too brute-force for this kind of detail work. I feel like I leave more paint on the paper around the object than I get on the metal. rolleyes.gif

And as always, you can't get in a hurry with painting. I'm told that you want to remove the tape after it's had a chance to dry a bit, but before it cures, so the paint won't have bonded fully to itself and tear/peel when removing the tape. But you have to do it carefully (says the guy who stuck a fingernail in his brand new paint job.

AppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMarkAppleMark
AppleMark

The 5.25" Drive cage is done completely on one side now. I was able to do the middle, and the roundover, and the remaining rectangles all at once now that I figured out better masking technique.

AppleMarkAppleMark

And finished the other side of the back panel. Starting to come together. Can't wait until I can get that final clearcoat on. Gonna wait until the satin has fully cured before I do that, though.