[PCMAG]3D Transistors? We Don't Need 'Em, AMD's Foundry Says - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[PCMAG]3D Transistors? We Don't Need 'Em, AMD's Foundry Says

post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 105 (Unique: 95)
Can't trust AMD anymore, they were given tons of money with their lawsuits against Intel and where all that money go?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 64 (Unique: 55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorNine50 View Post
Jeeze, can we at least wait until the 3D transistors are closer to release before we assume that they make as huge of an impact as Intel says they will?

I feel like future predictions are taken as gospel on this forum...

Hell, look what people have done to Bulldozer predictions.
Look at what people did with Sandy Bridge predictions... oh, wait...

Yes, nyan cat is very addictive indeed!
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhalmel View Post
Back on subject, maybe AMD is waiting till the process is mature and not rush into it?
AMD isn't going to use Intel's fab. It does not matter if Intel matures the technology as it has no impact on AMD's R&D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
It could be cost-related
Not exactly.... AMD has always been behind Intel in fabs. Sure, AMD could catch up but do you have a $20-30B to spare? Oh, and a time machine as well.

R&D takes time.

Quote:
Jeeze, can we at least wait until the 3D transistors are closer to release before we assume that they make as huge of an impact as Intel says they will?
Of course, nonplanar transistors will make a big impact. It is the biggest thing in production chip technology in quite a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwadeson View Post
Can't trust AMD anymore, they were given tons of money with their lawsuits against Intel and where all that money go?
Pay off their debt? The money from the lawsuit was to make up for losses.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 AM

He means they were true.
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 188 (Unique: 141)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Of course, nonplanar transistors will make a big impact. It is the biggest thing in production chip technology in quite a few years.
Just because something is the biggest thing in a few years, doesn't necessarily mean it will be an immediate game-changer, or a game changer at all. (ie. Electric car... Died before it ever really took off... Speaking of which, I'm not sure why companies are trying that again...) I think future R&D needs to go into graphene chips, not towering silicon.

I think it's a brilliant idea and great progression, but all that this is right now are claims. We don't have any evidence that it will actually run 30-some-odd% cooler in practice other than nifty 3D marketing copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleannex
He means they were true.
Ah, yes. Well the core series of chips have been great performers since the first Core2Duo. I'm still stunned how well my E4300 overclocked. I feel that Sandy Bridge was an anomaly in that predictions were almost dead on.

Quote:
The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered, “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 28)
Globalfoundry's and other semiconductor companies are working on the same thing. Samsung is working on 3D transistors too. Intel has BILLIONS to spend on research, so its no surprise that they are out with it first.

These transistors will first appear in ultra portable devices, like smartphones, and tablets. I really don't think they are going to be in Ivy Bridge. I may be wrong though.

post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:
Just because something is the biggest thing in a few years, doesn't necessarily mean it will be an immediate game-changer, or a game changer at all.

I think future R&D needs to go into graphene chips, not towering silicon.
It's not a game changer. It is just another jump in the march for smaller processes. It is like getting a two die shrinks in one generation! It is the evolutionary progression of chip fabrication. Intel can improve on both process size and eventually more levels of transistors.

R&D is going into graphene.... but that is still in basic development. It will take billions more and at least another decade before mass production of graphene chips. We cannot make the raw graphene as nearly as cheaply silicon.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 609 (Unique: 499)
I thought everyone knows they've been working on the same type of technology but they haven't figured it out yet.

Audio setup: Xonar Essence ST into Niles SI-275 amplifier driving CSW Tower II speakers paired with M&K MX-70 subwoofer. Headphones: DT880 Pro 250ohm
post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom123 View Post
Globalfoundry's and other semiconductor companies are working on the same thing. Samsung is working on 3D transistors too. Intel has BILLIONS to spend on research, so its no surprise that they are out with it first.

These transistors will first appear in ultra portable devices, like smartphones, and tablets. I really don't think they are going to be in Ivy Bridge. I may be wrong though.

They claim they already have working chips. So ya, I think Ivy Bridge will use it.
post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 923 (Unique: 706)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwadeson View Post
To pay off their massive debt?

Seriously, don't construct half-baked reasons to distrust a company.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in