[GZ] Asus and Acer: The Netbook Is Dead. - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[GZ] Asus and Acer: The Netbook Is Dead.

post #21 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 58 (Unique: 52)
I threw windows 8 on my msi wind. works pretty good for sitting on the couch browsing OCN

**"Official" MSI Big Bang Xpower owners club**
X58 XEON 5675
(10 items)
CPU
XEON X5675
Motherboard
MSI Big Bang x58
GPU
MSI GTX 1070
RAM
18gb
Hard Drive
samsung 950 pro, Plextor M8pey pcie
Power Supply
OCZ ZX850W
Cooling
EVGA CLC280
Case
Lian li Pc-x2000f
Operating System
win 10
Monitor
Crossover 1440p
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 415 (Unique: 371)
The thing I never understood was it was no harder to carry around a genuine laptop than a Netbook...though I say the same thing about a tablet. If I can't fit it in a coat pocket, I might as well have a laptop bag over my shoulder. Though I suppose the ladies out there can put a tablet in their purse...I wish man bags were more sociably acceptable. I'd carry all sorts of stuff with me.

MINNESOTA OVERCLOCKERS | The Climate Phenomenon
If it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER!!!devil.gif
post #23 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 149 (Unique: 127)
I loved the hell out of my netbook while I had it.
Thing was perfect for taking notes in class and taking on trips.
Tablets are nice and all but typing with any sort of real speed can be a pain.

The problem with them was that people expected to use netbooks as daily drivers and for that they just fall short.

Moar volts = moar megahurtz

Thermal Paste roundup

YAY HWBOT!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Forum Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by kow_ciller View Post

The problem with them was that people expected to use netbooks as daily drivers and for that they just fall short.

This sums it up PERFECTLY. People bought them as their main PCs when they were NEVER intended to perform such duties.

Take the Sandy Bridge over Devil's Canyon to get to Skylake.

post #25 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM
god loves ugly

Rep: 266 (Unique: 238)
I still like netbooks and feel they have their place.

My netbook (which I just recently sold..) had great battery life and had more features that I look for than those that a tablet can offer. 9 hours of battery life with the ability to do pretty much anything I could hope for (programming, typing essays, any productivity work basically). Tablets aren't really viable for that solution and I'm not sure if Ultrabooks can offer the same sort of battery life. Even if they can, their price point isn't all that appealing for myself (and I assume many others).

I do like Ultrabooks as well, though. I'm just not sure if they offer as good of battery life (which is personally my main concern). Ultrabooks do have the benefits of bigger resolutions/screens and more performance, but are those really worthwhile for everybody? My little Atom had enough kick behind it to allow me to run anything I could reasonably expect to do on the go for hours on end. The resolution would be nice but it's my fault for getting a 10" netbook in the first place.

I think continuing to offer netbooks would be a good idea for the consumer as it allows for more choice (but a terrible idea for OEMs because of a lack of profitability). They're the smallest and most affordable laptops out there that are still very capable and have their own benefits.

post #26 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 43)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

The thing I never understood was it was no harder to carry around a genuine laptop than a Netbook...though I say the same thing about a tablet. If I can't fit it in a coat pocket, I might as well have a laptop bag over my shoulder. Though I suppose the ladies out there can put a tablet in their purse...I wish man bags were more sociably acceptable. I'd carry all sorts of stuff with me.

They are if you get the right kinds...

Leather bags go really good with different clothing choices

Case: -
Hard Drive: Crucial BX100 250GB
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A ATX Operating System: Windows 10
CPU:i7-7700K
RAM: Ballistix Sport 16 GB
Monitor: VIVO Dual LCD LED Monitor Desk Mount Monitor: ASUS VH242
Power Supplies: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W
GPU: ASUS GTX 660 STRIXX
Cooling: Hydro Series, H100i v2
Mouse: Logitech G400 Keyboard: Logitech
http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/ola.gif
post #27 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I used mine to log into work back in the day while I gamed on my desktop. Other than that, it was pretty useless once tablets came about. Glad I sold mine and got $125 for it when I did.

post #28 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 415 (Unique: 371)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkatt View Post

They are if you get the right kinds...
Leather bags go really good with different clothing choices

Heh, I just have a laptop bag from 1999...still in good shape and I can carry my laptop and all sorts of other stuff...mainly tools, but some times spare clothes for the kids or whatever. Trouble is you can't take it into a store without having staff follow you to make sure you don't shoplift anything or having people look at you like you're crazy...however, mommy over there can walk around with a bushel big purse with no questions.

Ugg...I hate it. Not fair I tell you...NOT FAIR.

Though I can at least have a backpack on in most places, but then my wife yells at me for that and says I look like I am going camping.

MINNESOTA OVERCLOCKERS | The Climate Phenomenon
If it ain't broke...MAKE IT GO FASTER!!!devil.gif
post #29 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 62 (Unique: 62)
Ok Netbooks are not as bad as people claim them to be. The PROBLEM with them is that people were trying to bite off more than it can chew. Of course it cant run crysis! Yet its been tried, and when it doesn't work, we ask the forums for help. My little Lenovo has done me well over the years for my OCN browsing needs, Youtube, Music, and Movies.

The damn thing was getting outdated, and it was time for a change. LINUX! thumb.gif now this little sucker is running as strong as I need it!

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services”
- Microsoft
post #30 of 231 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 51)
I got 4 years of use out of my acer aspire one until I got a tablet and realized how much faster it was a doing everything, though that's not quite a fair comparison, considering how much technology had changed in that span of time, operating systems, etc. But for what I used it for, it did the job quite well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in