[pcper] SEIKI Announces 39" 4K Ultra HDTV for $700 - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[pcper] SEIKI Announces 39" 4K Ultra HDTV for $700

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

Why do you keep suggesting this? Digital connectors do not require a RAMDAC with a pixel clock. GPUs have had integrated RAMDACs for years just for VGA adapter compatibility but it is never used if you're using a digital connection - If you're using a VGA adapter, sure, it is applicable. Who the heck uses VGA now? DVI, HDMI, and DP do not require a RAMDAC with any sort of pixel clock - i'm pretty sure VGA doesn't even support above 2048x1548 resolution IIRC. RAMDACs and pixel clocks are a thing of the past.

Additionally, the 320 nvidia drivers now support displayport 1.2 fully. Asus stated that their non crap 4k monitor (the Seiki is CRAP, the asus isn't) will support 4k resolution with a single DP 1.2 cable. I'm pretty darn sure that Asus would not lie to their consumers - this is aside from the fact that they demo'ed their 39 inch AMVA 4k panel using displayport @ 60hz.

Suffice it to say, now that nvidia has fixed the issue with the 320 driver release, this is a non issue. The bottom line is if you get a 4k screen, do not get a garbage 4k panel (Seiki), get a good one (asus).

I think the saying "You get what you pay for" is applicable here. If you pay 700$ for a garbage 4k panel, you will get garbage. The Seiki is garbage.
We will get the asus one when it is available. It currently is not.

If this were a simple matter, then why is it that nvidia is currently working on 2 monitor surround for running two HDMI or DVI connections in order to enable 60hz at 4k resolution?

Where is your proof that they ran it at 60hz over a single DP connection? Not saying it didn't happen, but I would like to see the article explaining it. I know for a fact DP 1.2 CAN do it. But if it CAN do it, then why CAN'T people do it in the Titan?

Your statement that pixel clocks are a thing of the past is asinine. "Pixel clock" or in the case of a digital connection, the frequency at which the interface operates, is certainly still relavent. You still need to run over 500 mhz on DP 1.2 in order to support that resolution at 60hz. This fact doesn't change simply because there is no ramdac in play on a digital only connection.

The specifications for DP 1.2 specifically state the maximum "pixel clock".
Masta Squidge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
zinfinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,511
Rep: 196 (Unique: 156)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

I know for a fact DP 1.2 CAN do it. But if it CAN do it, then why CAN'T people do it in the Titan?

Because the current "4K" displays that end users have access to are split displays. Basically it's seen as two 1920x2160 displays as far as the card is concerned.




https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/539645/nvidia-surround/2-monitor-gaming-/

This is the fault of the display manufacturer. Rather than go to the effort to make a properly addressable 3840x2160 display, they did a hack job and split the display into two addressable halves, likely to save on costs.
 

Currently Playing
Iron Brigade (Now with Steamworks!) | Diablo III (6WW+2IK BK Barbarian) | Elite Dangerous (I <3 Rhino HOTAS)

Looking Forward To
Oculus Rift CV1 | Galak-Z | Star Citizen | Bedlam (Backed) | The Flame in the Flood (Backed)

Recently Finished
Tomb Raider | Metro - Last Light | Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon | Costume Quest 2 |
zinfinion is offline  
post #63 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,223
And what verification do you have of that? Because I don't see them selling a TV that can't be hooked up to a single bluray player with one cable. They obviously are not split (as a limitation) if they can run 30hz with one connection, OR 60hz with two. The tv isnt telling the card it is two displays unless the TV is set to do so, apparently, seeing as there are plenty of people using them at 30hz with one connection.

Maybe it is a flaw of the controller, that the controller cant handle 60hz with only one connection, but until I see something stating that it is indeed the problem... At any rate, if this was true, then people who own the expensive 4k TVs with proper controllers in them need to report in somewhere on the net.

That still doesn't explain why DP lists signal frequency specifications, if you supposedly dont have any need for it. All digital connections have a clock frequency. A purely analog connection is the only kind that doesn't have any clock at all, and you are never going to have that if you are trying to run any form of digital equipment, you know, like your entire computer.
Masta Squidge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
xoleras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,383
Rep: 168 (Unique: 144)
You have it figured out man. Asus is lying to their customers. When they say displayport 1.2 will provide 60hz on their 4k displays, they are being 100% disingenuous, let us go ahead and start a lawsuit. rolleyes.gif When they demo'ed their unit at 60hz, they lied. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Why don't ask ASUS if you care so much? Clearly HDMI 1.4 IS NOT up to the task of 60hz at 4k. This has been explained 60 billion times, current 4k displays are garbage because they're all using HDMI 1.4. That specification DOES NOT SUPPORT 4K RESOLUTION AT 60hz. Displayport is no matter how much you want to argue about it. That is, unless asus is lying. You seem to think they are...have fun explaining that one.

Stop trying to spin. The issue at hand is HDMI 1.4, of which all current 4k displays have been using. Your conspiracy theories about asus lying to their customers is just tiring.

xoleras is offline  
post #65 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ae-?a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 126
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

You are wrong. What you read here is applicable to HDMI 1.4. NOT DISPLAYPORT.

Several websites were able to get the Seiki working at 60hz WITH HDMI using this method with MST. THIS IS NOT NEEDED WITH DISPLAYPORT 1.2. A user on HardOCP if I remember right (I could be wrong, i'm trying to remember) mentioned just this. A user got his Seiki working with HDMI (remember, the Seiki DOESNT have displayport) at 60hz doing some trickery with eyefinity and HDMI.

Furthermore, nvidia mentioned the same workaround on their forums about this. HDMI ONLY. This is not needed or applicable to DP.

As mentioned, asus demonstrated both of their upcoming monitors using a single DP 1.2 cable doing 60hz. They have stated on their support forums that only a single DP 1.2 cbale is needed. You are confusing what you read about MST and HDMI on AMD cards. That is true but ONLY WITH HDMI. Displayport doesn't need MST.

This is wrong. I tried to do it via two HDMI 1920x2160 modes and the TV doesnt do it. Show me where someone said they got 60Hz @ 4k on the seiki from anywhere...
ae-?a is offline  
post #66 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ae-?a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 126
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post

calling it. asus 39 inch with dp @ $999

I called this a long time in the ASUS thread.
ae-?a is offline  
post #67 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
xoleras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,383
Rep: 168 (Unique: 144)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae-?a View Post

This is wrong. I tried to do it via two HDMI 1920x2160 modes and the TV doesnt do it. Show me where someone said they got 60Hz @ 4k on the seiki from anywhere...

I'll try to find it. I do remember it only worked on AMD cards via MST or something very strange, nvidia at the time did not support it. In the meantime, my condolences on buying a garbage 4k screen. Clearly HDMI 1.4 and [email protected] don't work together.

xoleras is offline  
post #68 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

You have it figured out man. Asus is lying to their customers. When they say displayport 1.2 will provide 60hz on their 4k displays, they are being 100% disingenuous, let us go ahead and start a lawsuit. rolleyes.gif When they demo'ed their unit at 60hz, they lied. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Why don't ask ASUS if you care so much? Clearly HDMI 1.4 IS NOT up to the task of 60hz at 4k. This has been explained 60 billion times, current 4k displays are garbage because they're all using HDMI 1.4. That specification DOES NOT SUPPORT 4K RESOLUTION AT 60hz. Displayport is no matter how much you want to argue about it. That is, unless asus is lying. You seem to think they are...have fun explaining that one.

Stop trying to spin. The issue at hand is HDMI 1.4, of which all current 4k displays have been using. Your conspiracy theories about asus lying to their customers is just tiring.
I didn't say they didn't, I asked you to provide a source for me to read.

But keep being better than everyone else.
Masta Squidge is offline  
post #69 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ae-?a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 126
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

I'm at 43Hz now but according to some forum members the Seiki won't go higher than 31Hz well those Seiki won't be available to the EU so can't get close to one to try.

Definitely should not assume this will do over 31Hz. The scaler gets activated as soon as the modeline goes > 31 Hz vertical refresh on the seiki (its not a matter of the pixelclock). I got the monitor accepting up to 40Hz but the problem was that it activated its scaler and was all interpolated and looked horrible. Also this was >31 Hz with cvrt reduced (at around 280 Mhz pixel clock) or 31Hz using the same timings as 30Hz at around 308 Mhz pixel clock. Each time it got over 31Hz vertical it didn't display right.
ae-?a is offline  
post #70 of 191 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ae-?a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 126
Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoleras View Post

I'll try to find it. I do remember it only worked on AMD cards via MST or something very strange, nvidia at the time did not support it. In the meantime, my condolences on buying a garbage 4k screen. Clearly HDMI 1.4 and [email protected] don't work together.

You must be getting confused or something. MST is a displayport technology. If your talking about eyefinity.. well that is just to make two displays seem as one and doesn't actually change anything with the signal to the monitor compared to say doing extended desktop except for the fact its a gen-locked signal (which usually doesnt matter all that much).

Nvidia can do it too just not on windows vista/7/8 on geforce cards. It can do it on everything on linux (what I use and run a 22 inch 4k display at work via 2xdual link DVI) as well as on everything on the quadro cards via mosiac. AFAIK I was the first one to test sending the monitor two 1920x2160 signals and it did not work. I haven't heard of anyone reporting this worked let alone 'multiple sites/people'
ae-?a is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off