[Hardware.info] Gigabyte revisions result in customers not getting what they wanted - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Hardware.info] Gigabyte revisions result in customers not getting what they wanted

post #1 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 41)
Very interesting.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5835/spot-the-differences-gigabyte-motherboard-revisisons-present-markedly-different-test-results

First news post, and posting on mobile - delete/amend/advise as appropriate if I've missed anything.
Quote:
Several days ago, one of our (Dutch) forum visitors asked about a Gigabyte motherboard with difference characteristics than the original model, and visible differences from the photo displayed by the shop where it was purchased. A bit of Googling and browsing through Gigabyte's website shows that the Taiwanese manufacturer makes new revisions of quite a few of its motherboards, mostly in the budget segment. For us reason to do some more research and buy and test the motherboards. The results are more than a little remarkable...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
WOW, I've always been a big fan of Gigabyte motherboards for being very stable and having quality parts based on my experience with them and from reviews. Seeing them pull this BS now though really changes my opinion of them. Really hope this is a minor blemish on their quality standards and they issue some form of apology/refund/promise to improve. Otherwise I will start avoiding and stop recommending their products. mad.gif

Edit: I wanted to quote two paragraphs from the article which I think summed up the issue well.
Quote:
So, as a potential buyer you check specifications and photos of the product at the shops, but these are based on the first revision; once you order, you will probably receive a newer revision. Because price comparison engines such as Hardware.Info also use UPC and product codes to categorise information, these also don't spot new revisions and thus keep showing old specifications and photos. And thus this way too doesn't offer you as customer correct information about the product you are ordering.
Quote:
The significantly higher temperature of the components in the CPU power supply and the unbalanced load over the mosfets in the Rev 2.0 board make it likely that the new revision won't last as long as the Rev 1.0, even though we cannot prove that using this test. What we can demonstrate beyond any doubt is that the CPU power supply of the Rev 2.0 board is not up to the task, even for normal consumer workloads. The video encoding test shows that thanks to the lower amount of mosfets temperatures rise much more quickly, leading to CPU throttling and lowered performance. Rev 1.0 does not show that behaviour at all.
post #3 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 737 (Unique: 415)
Low end mobos in the first place I'm just glad it wasn't on their overclock or gaming series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 AM
To The Game

Rep: 290 (Unique: 197)
Yea, you have to keep a eye out for things like this. A company will put out a product, get it reviewed, then revise it using cheaper parts but keeping the general name. Sure, you can find out it's a different version, but, we all know this is pure BS meant to deceive the end user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged View Post

Low end mobos in the first place I'm just glad it wasn't on their overclock or gaming series.

So when you're on a budget, you don't deserve to get the product you're paying for?
post #5 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
I've experienced this with my Gigabyte GTX970 G1. All the reviews I read were raving about the Samsung memory being able to hit 8GHz but my 970 came with Hynix memory and can barely hit 7.2GHz. I realise that they don't guarantee any results from overclocking, but I can't help but feel that they made the initial 970's with Samsung memory to hype the product and then switch to the Hynix for cost savings.

post #6 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 737 (Unique: 415)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Yea, you have to keep a eye out for things like this. A company will put out a product, get it reviewed, then revise it using cheaper parts but keeping the general name. Sure, you can find out it's a different version, but, we all know this is pure BS meant to deceive the end user.
So when you're on a budget, you don't deserve to get the product you're paying for?

When your on a budget you should do your homework like the fine people in this article did so you don't end up paying for cheap underperforming garbage. Get the most for your money.

Also these low end mobos don't need a trillion vrm phases in the first place, chances are you weren't gonna go far overclocking on them anyways.
post #7 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Pinoy po mga koya

Rep: 291 (Unique: 246)
im dissapointed gigabyte. I've been a loyal gigabyte user since early 2000's. revisions = improvements. not downgrades smh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherW9 View Post

I've experienced this with my Gigabyte GTX970 G1. All the reviews I read were raving about the Samsung memory being able to hit 8GHz but my 970 came with Hynix memory and can barely hit 7.2GHz. I realise that they don't guarantee any results from overclocking, but I can't help but feel that they made the initial 970's with Samsung memory to hype the product and then switch to the Hynix for cost savings.

ot but I have two 970's. both have samsung chips. they suck so hard can't get past 7.5ghz

| Coffeechan | i7 [email protected] | Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7| 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200Mhz | Zotac Gaming RTX 2080 Ti | (2X)Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, (2X)Mushkin ECO3 480GB RAID0, 12TB HDD | Corsair AX760 | NZXT S340 Elite | 34" Samsung CF791 | Vizio 65" P-Series 2018
| Matichan | R5 [email protected] | Asus Prime B350m | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB @ 3200Mhz CL14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti | Intel 545s 512GB, SiliconPower 512GB SSD, 6TB HDD | EVGA 750 G3 | NZXT H400i | 34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 3440x1440 120hz G-Sync |

post #8 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:16 AM
To The Game

Rep: 290 (Unique: 197)
Quote:

When your on a budget you should do your homework like the fine people in this article did so you don't end up paying for cheap underperforming garbage. Get the most for your money.

Also these low end mobos don't need a trillion vrm phases in the first place, chances are you weren't gonna go far overclocking on them anyways.

The problem is when you do your homework you're seeing reviews for a similarly named product that really isn't the one being reviewed. On top of that, most people buying real budget products are going to be new, and really don't know enough to know what little differences totally change the perceived value of a product.

It's a sleazy practice if you ask me.

I don't blame GB for it though, since all companies seem to do it.

*In my back up rig I used one of those Kingston V300. It wasn't until after I bought it that I found out about the different memory types used. I got lucky on mine, but, I know I spent hours reading up on that SSD before buying it. It's easy to miss things.
post #9 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 11:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
Quote:
The reason for that lies in the way Gigabyte brings the new products to market, using exactly the same manufacturer and UPC codes as for the original versions. Thanks to that, distributors and online shops (who work with automatic links based on these codes) cannot tell the difference.

I can't be completely certain, but I seem to recall my previous motherboards having the revision on the info sticker on the box.
post #10 of 158 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 37)
Quote:

Quote:

I thought you was crazy for having a human unicorn. I have to agree with you. Here a rep+

Most times I put time in posting news for you guys. Maybe if its bashing one company (e.g. NVIDIA) it doesnt mean I hate the company...
So still show me love <3

WOT and Hola are unsafe! Please unistall the extension or program if you have it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in