[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015 - Page 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015

post #91 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 369 (Unique: 231)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanLoco View Post

PowerPC is pretty much limited to embedded and some IBM systems now.
IBM is a behemoth in the server and HPC world. It's very much alive and kicking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Arctic Islands.

Hopefully. And that's hopefully because AMD hasn't said a peep about it so I can't tell you if it competes with pascal or not. But there have been leaks saying second half of 2016. It'll be a change of pace for AMD who usually waits longer between architectures, but it is a unique situation where they have two different innovations in technology happening in a short period: HBM to be followed by 14nm. They can't sit around while Nvidia rides the 14nm hype train to glory, it's do or die.
Comparing two architectures, neither of which is already out, against each other built on a process node not yet ready for mass production sounds like a recipe for disaster. You hardly ever see direct architecture comparisons, it's usually card vs. card.
post #93 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 503 (Unique: 276)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

Comparing two architectures, neither of which is already out, against each other built on a process node not yet ready for mass production sounds like a recipe for disaster. You hardly ever see direct architecture comparisons, it's usually card vs. card.

Which is why I didn't even try, but just said that hopefully that's AMD's answer to Pascal.

I only understood why my Mother had been so fond of the adage "Bread will always land butter side down" when one day, on a whim, I asked her if I had been born with such a lumpy head or if it came later. - Me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 462 (Unique: 340)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

They have to have been doing something besides HBM during the last couple of years. Bulldozer it at least a documented screw up but sitting on their asses for three and a half years simply sounds idiotic.
That could be a good idea. Improvement in brand image could already probably make up the loss in sales in addition to the upgradeability being a nice bonus if they keep the socket for 2 years or so.
Not everyone here cares either, since the electricity is off your heating bill for the seven-eight months of the year when probably 95% of computer usage at home happens.

Unless you live here in Texas in the USA. Where seven to eight months of the year are sweltering hot. I'd go with AMD, but even with me being in shape, it just gets too hot. I can't even run my 780 overclocked or it puts out too much heat in my room that it becomes noticeably uncomfortable. And that is with a ~650 square foot open living space (second story of my house).

I know I'm in the minority, but performance comes second to actually being able to game in a comfortable environment. In otherwords, I embrace efficiency over pure performance (although I do like the performance too :P!).

I hate fanboys/fangirls. You ruin the friendlyshilling atmosphere of OCN./s

post #95 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 503 (Unique: 276)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Unless you live here in Texas in the USA. Where seven to eight months of the year are sweltering hot. I'd go with AMD, but even with me being in shape, it just gets too hot. I can't even run my 780 overclocked or it puts out too much heat in my room that it becomes noticeably uncomfortable. And that is with a ~650 square foot open living space (second story of my house).

I know I'm in the minority, but performance comes second to actually being able to game in a comfortable environment. In otherwords, I embrace efficiency over pure performance (although I do like the performance too tongue.gif!).

Man has an opportunity to turn his gaming room into a private sauna and he complains about it.

What's the world coming to? biggrin.gif

I only understood why my Mother had been so fond of the adage "Bread will always land butter side down" when one day, on a whim, I asked her if I had been born with such a lumpy head or if it came later. - Me.

post #96 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 369 (Unique: 231)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Man has an opportunity to turn his gaming room into a private sauna and he complains about it.

What's the world coming to? biggrin.gif
Well even here in NL in a wel insulated room of decent size it turns into a sauna after a few hours. After gaming all night with friends last weekend my room started at 19C end of the evening it was 23C. So dam hot!
post #97 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 46 (Unique: 34)

I think what is most interesting in this slide is that the shared platform will be AM4, and not FM3 as has been suggested/rumored for awhile. Either way, it looks like things could be looking up.. I am just hoping that this go around the AM platform isnt restricted to ATX (and seriously gimped on the mATX side)... it would be nice to have a compelling alternative in the SFF arena...

post #98 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 176 (Unique: 129)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

Well even here in NL in a wel insulated room of decent size it turns into a sauna after a few hours. After gaming all night with friends last weekend my room started at 19C end of the evening it was 23C. So dam hot!

The hell, 23c is hot? I was playing GTA V a few weeks ago on my two 290X cards on a hot day and my room temperature was 34c (little over 93f).

"and the new graphics card on HBO memory chip has recommendations PSU least 700 watts" - Causality1978
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Blameless
"If one more person speculates in this room we're all going to need a shower." - Ganf
post #99 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:25 PM
OG AMD

Rep: 580 (Unique: 458)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

Mind you, I would kill be over the moon for an 18 core i7 desktop CPU. I would would meh at an AMD 18 core CPU.
That is the definition of a fanboy,since no one knows the relevant performance data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

Fixed that for you.

The main difference between Intel's addition of cores to their server chips and what AMD did is that Intel's core count wasn't designed to paper over a design that was massively inferior for almost all work loads in terms of performance and performance/watt. Instead, it was a natural outgrowth of their leadership in node size.

Also, how could AMD have increased the core count given that they sold their fabs to GloFo (who has yet to mass-produce anything smaller than 28nm, and even that node is wholly unsuitable for "construction core" chips). You'd pretty much have to encapsulate an entire 32nm wafer to get a 18-core die on AMD's platform, and then make a MCM module twice as large to hold two of them like the current G34 server chips do...

On top of that, AMD's x86 server market share is less than 5%, which means that there's absolutely no demand (and subsequent profits) to justify the R&D costs involved with new CPU designs in that sector. And as we all have seen over the last several years, without new server chips for AMD there can be no new designs trickling down to the AM3+ platform.

Lies. GloFo is in full production of 14nm as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

These events are strictly for the purpose of blowing smoke up the ass' of the shareholders.
As are your comments are to consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

/thread
Why are you here? Just leave if you think none of this info is relevant.

As you can see there will always be haters who judge before any performance data is known. rolleyes.gif People please learn to ignore these folks.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #100 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 801 (Unique: 304)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

As for Skylake-E (8 core) vs Zen FX (8 score) I think beating Intel is going to be out of the picture. With 40% higher IPC over Excavator AMD may get around Haswell or best case Broadwell. But Skylake will be untouchable for IPC and max frequency (given Intel's superior 14nm process against Samsung/GF 14nm) . AMD can though look to be competitive. If AMD brings FX 8 core to USD 500 that would benefit even the hardcore Intel loyalists like yourself who now have to pay USD 1000 for the 5960x. tongue.gif

With 40% increase in IPC Zen won´t be able to shake Haswell or even Ivy Bridge in all scenarios, let alone Skylake.
In order to do that it needs to clocked around 20% higher than it´s rivals from Intel and thats pretty damn unlikely.

Significantly more cores with reasonable IPC and at significantly lower price is the only way to succeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in