[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015 - Page 13 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015

post #121 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 834 (Unique: 318)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btupsx View Post

Haven't read the entire thread, but is the 40% IPC improvement indeed based upon using Excavator/Carrizo as the reference point? If so, I do believe that Zen will be neck and neck with Haswell, which could be acceptable; depends on what Skylake actually delivers in reality. Even if Zen is right there with Haswell, agree 100% that it seems AMD will have to count on the value/more cores card once more to steal sales away from Intel. Looks to be a rerun of the PII vs. Penryn days.

40% uplift compared to Excavator indeed.
Excavator mostly boosts power efficiency over Steamroller not much more.
The expected average difference in IPC over Piledriver is just 10% on average.

With frequency capabilities similar to Piledriver it would be exceptional, however Zen will most likely operate at clocks similar to AMD Llano or early Ridgeback steppings (up to 3.5GHz).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 176 (Unique: 129)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Yeah, sounds like he needs to swap out the AC units and get some foam sprayed in the attic/walls, honestly. Even a moderately insulated house is easy to keep cool unless it's made out of glass or something.

Something to consider, Darkreap. The average foam installation saves about as much as it costs in the first year if your house is the problem.

Cleaning the filters helps too. In my case the room temp went from Vietnamese sweat shop to brisk August morning in Boston.

"and the new graphics card on HBO memory chip has recommendations PSU least 700 watts" - Causality1978
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Blameless
"If one more person speculates in this room we're all going to need a shower." - Ganf
post #123 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:56 PM
486DX2 66

Rep: 257 (Unique: 128)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

40% uplift compared to Excavator indeed.
Excavator mostly boosts power efficiency over Steamroller not much more.
The expected average difference in IPC over Piledriver is just 10% on average.

With frequency capabilities similar to Piledriver it would be exceptional, however Zen will most likely operate at clocks similar to AMD Llano or early Ridgeback steppings (up to 3.5GHz).

This is still a huge step in the right direction as I was hoping for in earlier Zen threads. AMD really doesn't have to BEAT top enthusiast i7, they just need a reasonable competitor to get back in the game. Phenoms were blown away by Nehalem chips, but they were comparably "fast enough" and an AM3 board coupled with a 955-965BE was vastly cheaper. If they can repeat that, gain a market share, and invest the proceeds accordingly, they can strengthen their position against Intel over time and give us what we've all been hoping for on both sides: A performance war.

Can't hear my delta fans over my Death Metal crew
I Just Found Out My PCs Have A Power Button. Meh, Still Not Shutting Down Club Member #00001
In the beginning were the words and the words made the world. I am the words. The words are everything. Where the words end the world ends. You cannot go forward in the absence of space. Repeat.
HAF Baked
(16 items)
M-M-Monster Kill
(13 items)
CPU
3700x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
GPU
EVGA 980 Ti ACX
RAM
DDR4 3600 CamoRamo "Pook Edition"
Hard Drive
MX500 1TB m.2 happy now pook edition
Power Supply
evga g2
Cooling
h100i
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04
Monitor
Asus XG35V
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB
Mouse
Windows 95 compatible serial ball mouse (srs)
Mousepad
Gigabyte Ghost
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster X-fi titanium pro fatality edition
CPU
FX 8320
Motherboard
Asus
GPU
Sapphire Tri-X 290
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 1600
Hard Drive
Corsair Forse LS SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Black
Optical Drive
Asus 24x DVD-RW
Power Supply
EVGA
Cooling
CM Hyper 212 Evo
Case
Cooler Master HAF 922
Operating System
Debian 9 & Win7
Monitor
Asus VH236H
Keyboard
Ancient Dell Mechanical
Mouse
Corsair MX65
Mouse
Gigabyte Ghost Extreme Accuracy
CPU
Pentium III
Motherboard
Intel SE440BX-2
GPU
GeForce MX 440 AGP 8X
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
RAM
Viking PC133 SDRAM
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar 39000
Optical Drive
LG DVD/RW
Cooling
Stock
Operating System
Windoze 98
Audio
Sound Blaster Pro2
Audio
Sound Blaster 16
Audio
Sound Blaster Live!
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Dank Souls

Rep: 175 (Unique: 124)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePath View Post

40% IPC from AMD slide could mean ~20% in real world. AMD often use best case scenario or cherrypicked benchmarks to show off the strength of their CPU

Honestly, At this point even ~20% would be nice.

<div class="post-sig post-sig-limit shazam usersig-click"><div class="reparse-sig-lineheight"><p style="text-align:center;"><strong>Important Reading For New Members</strong></p><span></span><p style="text-align:center;"><a href="https://www.overclock.net/a/terms-of-service">Terms of Service</a><span>  | </span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/235282/overclock-net-professionalism-initiative/0_20">Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative</a><span> | </span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/8182/reputation-defined/0_20">How to put your Rig in your Sig</a><span> | </span><a href="https://www.overclock.net/t/8182/reputation-defined/0_20">reputation-defined</a></p><span></span><p style="text-align:center;"><span> </span></p></div></div>

post #125 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 337 (Unique: 247)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

From the slides one can more or less tell with certainty that the new desktop GPUs for 2015 won't have any new performance per watt improvements besides the transition from GDDR5 to HBM. That isn't too reassuring.

On the CPU side are they targeting IB class performance? How much more IPC does Excavator have versus Piledriver?

Versus Piledriver? Something like 15% from what I have seen around. Dont forget Piledriver is 2 gens behind Ex because Steamroller was in between and upped the IPC there too. Ex ups it a tiny bit more but also drastically lowers power draw. But yes, It looks like the Zen cores will be right about Ivy level IPC. Which isnt TOO bad for a new core and from where AMD currently is. With node and arch refinement in the 2nd gen Zen we could see somewhere between Haswell and Skylake I bet. I just really hope they get that 14nm node clocking into the mid 4Ghz though that seems unlikely.

EDIT: for typo.

post #126 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 369 (Unique: 231)
Quote:
1. AMD A10-8700P with AMD Radeon™ R6 graphics, 2x4GB DDR3-1600, 256 SSD, Windows 8.1 64bit, Catalyst 15.10 beta scored 1100
in 3dmark Firestrike. Intel Core i5 5200u, 2x4GB DDR3-1600, 256 SSD, Windows 8.1 64bit, Driver 4170 scored 780 in 3dmark
Firestrike. The result is 41% faster performance from AMD.

2. Performance projections developed by AMD Engineering for optimized AMD reference systems. PC manufacturers may vary
configuration yielding different results. The 2015 AMD "Carrizo" performance platform projects 11.2 hours battery life running HD
1080p Local Video Playback while the 2014 "Kaveri" performance platform battery life under the same workload is projected to last
5.3 hours. Projections subject to change. CZN-12

3. Testing by AMD Performance labs using reference platforms based on an AMD 6th generation Processor featuring an AMD FX-8800P
platform, 2x4GB DDR3-1600, 256GB SSD, Windows 8.1, Driver 15.100 lasting 10.2 hrs The comparison system consisted of an AMD
FX 7600P with 2x4GB DDR3-1600, 256GB SSD, Windows 8.1, 14.200.1004 drivers. Jan 15, 2015 lasting 7.1 hrs. Testing done with a
50 kw/hr battery with Varibright mode set to aggressive, and airplane mode enabled, with MobileMark12
Some info on Carrizo. A slight note from me though that kw/hr is not correct it should state Wh as that is a unit for energy while kW/hr is kilo J/s / 3600s which is complete bull.
post #127 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2037 (Unique: 1171)
im really kind of excited to see how AMD will do, i really hope its not a flop

post #128 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 37)
I have lost hope on AMD on the CPU side. They are doing well on the low end on price/performance only because they have no choice. Expecting AMD to release a good chip is not going to happen. When I mean good, I dont mean super high end like an i7 but something that is like an 8350 with a better IPC (even if it had 6 cores) and lower temps (temps dont matter to be honest but for the performance is shouldnt be that high for this day and age).

Most times I put time in posting news for you guys. Maybe if its bashing one company (e.g. NVIDIA) it doesnt mean I hate the company...
So still show me love <3

WOT and Hola are unsafe! Please unistall the extension or program if you have it!

post #129 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
All these lackluster skylake leaks + Zen hype makes me wanna wait till next year to upgrade..... but Q3 2016 is sooo far away even with no delays.

So conflicted!
post #130 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 834 (Unique: 318)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post

This is still a huge step in the right direction as I was hoping for in earlier Zen threads. AMD really doesn't have to BEAT top enthusiast i7, they just need a reasonable competitor to get back in the game. Phenoms were blown away by Nehalem chips, but they were comparably "fast enough" and an AM3 board coupled with a 955-965BE was vastly cheaper. If they can repeat that, gain a market share, and invest the proceeds accordingly, they can strengthen their position against Intel over time and give us what we've all been hoping for on both sides: A performance war.

Let´s say Zen has 25% penalty in frequency capabilities compared to Piledriver.
25% is actually rather conservative as Zen must have at least 30% lower BMP and L2 latency compared to 15h designs (Bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator).

Like said before I would expect Zen to max out at 3.5GHz range.
This would mean it would be equivalent to 5.2GHz Piledriver with significantly lower power figures (roughly half).

If thats the case the core count must be huge if AMD wants to get out of the "niche" category and become a company to be taken seriously once more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in