[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015 - Page 28 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015

post #271 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 05:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 846 (Unique: 324)
I´ll call Zen as a success if:

- The average IPC increases by 40% or more and IPC in FP workloads increases by 55% or more, over Piledriver
- The base clocks are at least 3.2GHz immediately upon the release on 8 core SKUs
- The desktop platform (socket infrastructure) supports up to 16 cores / 32 threads or alternatively two separate nodes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Null

Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
Zen's real success will be measured by how efficient it is compared to Intel's Skylake. It's intended to be a server part.

post #273 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 52 (Unique: 48)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

Zen's real success will be measured by how efficient it is compared to Intel's Skylake. It's intended to be a server part.
Well acording to Lisa, absolute performance and being competitive with intel matter. So its more than just performance/$ or performance/watt.

wheee.gif Kpop! Yay! wheee.gif
"Lock horns, I push, and I strive. Somehow I feel more alive"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 02:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

I´ll call Zen as a success if:

- The average IPC increases by 40% or more and IPC in FP workloads increases by 55% or more, over Piledriver
- The base clocks are at least 3.2GHz immediately upon the release on 8 core SKUs
- The desktop platform (socket infrastructure) supports up to 16 cores / 32 threads or alternatively two separate nodes

With 256Bit FPu they should reach 2x FPu performance and thats what they need.
post #275 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 03:50 AM
*cough*Stock*cough*

Rep: 230 (Unique: 200)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themisseble View Post

x2 if the block diagram is at any way correct. 256 bit floating point is going to be almost 4 times faster, as there are hopefully going to be 2 256-bit float units that each can run one 256-bit float per cycle, vs the construction cores taking two cycles per 256 bit float.

Of course though, i could be completely wrong about it, so take it with a grain of salt.

Carter, can you explain that in *English*?
Leviathan
(17 items)
Cheapshot Reborn
(8 items)
Charred
(10 items)
CPU
Xeon E5-2690
Motherboard
Biostar TPower X79
GPU
PNY GTX 660 2GB
GPU
Dell GTX 645
RAM
Gskill Ripjaws 4x2GB 1600mhz
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640GB
Hard Drive
Patriot Pyro 60GB
Power Supply
Seasonic G550
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia
Case
Xclio Nighthawk
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
Monitor
Acer S230HL
Monitor
Lenovo Thinkvision L171
Keyboard
Logitech K120
Mouse
Logitech MX310
CPU
Xeon X5650
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
GPU
Asus GTX 460 1GB
RAM
Gskill PI 3x2GB DDR3-1600
Hard Drive
500GB Western Digital
Power Supply
EVGA 500B 500W Bronze
Cooling
Corsair H50
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU
AMD Phenom II x4 940
Motherboard
M3A78-EM
RAM
G.skill 2x2GB DDR2-800
RAM
OCZ 2x2GB DDR2-800
Hard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint 40GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital 1TB
Power Supply
Antec Neo ECO 400W
Cooling
Xigmatek Gaia
Case
Rosewill R102-P-BK Black
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #276 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 03:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I think it is rather optimistic to expect the FPU performance to double with 256-bit FMAC.

All 15h family cores have two 128-bit FMACs which are automatically either configured to unganged (2 * 128-bit) or ganged (256-bit) mode.
If the "slave core" within a compute unit is shedded the remaining "master core" (BSC) will have both of the FMACs in it´s private disposal.
On Bulldozer this resulted in slight performance boost especially in FP workloads but in later µArch iterations (Piledriver and newer) it makes absolutely no difference.

Why exactly this is, is beyond me.

The 256-bit FMAC is indeed mandatory for Zen as otherwise it will suffer severely when AVX2 will be more common.
post #277 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 29)
Quote:

I think it is rather optimistic to expect the FPU performance to double with 256-bit FMAC.

All 15h family cores have two 128-bit FMACs which are automatically either configured to unganged (2 * 128-bit) or ganged (256-bit) mode.
If the "slave core" within a compute unit is shedded the remaining "master core" (BSC) will have both of the FMACs in it´s private disposal.
On Bulldozer this resulted in slight performance boost especially in FP workloads but in later µArch iterations (Piledriver and newer) it makes absolutely no difference.

The 256-bit FMAC is indeed mandatory for Zen as otherwise it will suffer severely when AVX2 will be more common.

Why do you think FPU is mainly for AVX2?
post #278 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 113)
Quote:

AMD Piledriver

Similar microarchitecture to Bulldozer
Supports fused multiply-and-add instructions in both the FMA3 and FMA4 form. FMA3 is compatible with Intel processors. See Wikipedia for a discussion of the incompatibility between these instruction sets.
The throughput of FMA3 instructions is only half as much as the throughput of FMA4 instructions, even though they are doing exactly the same calculations.
Memory writes with the 256-bit AVX registers are exceptionally slow. The measured throughput is 5 - 6 times slower than on the previous model (Bulldozer), and 8 - 9 times slower than two 128-bit writes. No explanation for this has been found. This design flaw is likelty to negate any advantage of using the AVX instruction set.
The problems with cache performance on the Bulldozer seem to have been fixed in the Piledriver

http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=285

It could be errata. Regardless, I expect a huge boost in FPU performance come Zen.

post #279 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 04:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Why do you think FPU is mainly for AVX2?

I don´t, that was just the simplest example I could think of.
post #280 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 218)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnimrod View Post

Well acording to Lisa, absolute performance and being competitive with intel matter. So its more than just performance/$ or performance/watt.

Realistically performance/watt of a CPU architecture / node combo at desktop/server clocks is basically the same thing as absolute performance.

If you have better perf/watt you can just keep adding cores and clocks until the competing architecture with worse perf/watt can't keep up anymore.

This is especially true for servers where due to the prices big dies aren't as much of an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in