[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015 - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015

post #61 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:28 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 73 (Unique: 59)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

With just 40% increase in IPC (or roughly 50% over Piledriver)...
sad-smiley-002.gif

The design must reach at least 4.5GHz on the process available during the release and it must have at least 8 SMT cores (w/ 16 threads).

Given that AMD has no previous experience on the new manufacturing process and the available process variants will be targeted to LP (low power) I´d say the up to 4.5GHz is pretty damn tall order if not impossible. I would expect more like 3GHz stock and around 3.5GHz maximum frequency scaling when overclocked.

Unless these parts are able to clock similar way as Piledriver for example the 40% increase in IPC is not nearly enough.

A quad/hex/octa-core with Sandy-ish IPC and a decent power envelope would at least bring them back to Phenom II-like "good enough" status for PC gaming provided that the chipset features were decent and it was priced competitively.

My Biases:
-(Center to center-right) meritocratic libertarianism isn't a perfect system of government, but it's as good as we're going to do.
-Any entities--public or private--powerful enough to give people everything they want are also powerful enough to enslave them.
-Pride and shame should be based on one's accomplishments (or lack thereof) rather than uncontrollable identity characteristics.
-Intel and Nvidia are companies staffed by great engineers; they are usually managed by anticompetitive, immoral reptilians.
-AMD is a company staffed by great engineers; they are usually managed by five-year-olds with ADHD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 890 (Unique: 501)
From the slides one can more or less tell with certainty that the new desktop GPUs for 2015 won't have any new performance per watt improvements besides the transition from GDDR5 to HBM. That isn't too reassuring.

On the CPU side are they targeting IB class performance? How much more IPC does Excavator have versus Piledriver?

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

post #63 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 218)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiOfPie View Post

A quad/hex/octa-core with Sandy-ish IPC and a decent power envelope would at least bring them back to Phenom II-like "good enough" status for PC gaming provided that the chipset features were decent and it was priced competitively.

Platform features are going to be an interesting question since APUs and FXs are on the same platform. Does AMD prioritize price or features?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 132 (Unique: 89)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

Platform features are going to be an interesting question since APUs and FXs are on the same platform. Does AMD prioritize price or features?

theoretically if they produced 2 different chipsets then they could have both?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Asus sabertooth rev 2.0 BIOS 1503
Coolermaster Haf Stacker
FX 8350 @5.1 @1.7v :O
XSPC Raystorm RS240 + Swiftec D5 pump and 360 Rad
2x AMD XFX 280x DD @ 1210/1700
Rosewill Capstone 750w PSU

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
post #65 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 503 (Unique: 276)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

From the slides one can more or less tell with certainty that the new desktop GPUs for 2015 won't have any new performance per watt improvements besides the transition from GDDR5 to HBM. That isn't too reassuring.

No, they just said they wouldn't be industry leaders in that area. We already knew that. Until they get off of 28nm we aren't going to see them compete with Nvidia in the PPW comparison again.

I only understood why my Mother had been so fond of the adage "Bread will always land butter side down" when one day, on a whim, I asked her if I had been born with such a lumpy head or if it came later. - Me.

post #66 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

Why not do both?

By that, I mean release a high pin count socket that allows them to put a lot of features on the "1090FX" chipset, but cut the more expensive/enthusiast-geared features on "1070" or whatever?

My Biases:
-(Center to center-right) meritocratic libertarianism isn't a perfect system of government, but it's as good as we're going to do.
-Any entities--public or private--powerful enough to give people everything they want are also powerful enough to enslave them.
-Pride and shame should be based on one's accomplishments (or lack thereof) rather than uncontrollable identity characteristics.
-Intel and Nvidia are companies staffed by great engineers; they are usually managed by anticompetitive, immoral reptilians.
-AMD is a company staffed by great engineers; they are usually managed by five-year-olds with ADHD.
post #67 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Eastern Bloc Electronics

Rep: 55 (Unique: 45)
40% improvement is something that I wanted to hear.
So looks like I will wait for Zen instead of trying to find some cheap Ivy(boards are cheaper).

Even the fastest pc in the world cannot beat imagination.
Spoiler!
CPU
i7 [email protected]@1.325V 2.05V input
Motherboard
Asrock X99 Extreme 4
GPU
Sapphire R9 290X [Uber Mode]
GPU
Nvidia Geforce GT240 GDDR5 512MB [PhysX + analog output]
RAM
Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz 4GB 1.3V
RAM
Crucial [email protected] 4GB 1.3V
RAM
Crucial [email protected] 4GB 1.3V
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB[OS]
Hard Drive
WD Red 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 840EVO 120GB[Arma 3]
Power Supply
Cooler Master Real Power 850w
Cooling
Koolance 380A [modded for LGA2011v3]
Cooling
MCP655 with Alphacool HF acetal top [5th gear]
Cooling
Cooltek 120mm rad [antec tri-speed]
Cooling
Black Water Ultimate 123 [3x Corsair AF120 Performance Edition]
Cooling
Feser 10/13 UV Tubing
Cooling
Alphacool CKC clear
Cooling
Cooltek 120mm Rad [Corsair SP120 High Performance Edition]
Cooling
Alphacool GPX-A 290 [290X waterblock]
Case
Cooler Master Haf 932 Amd Edition
Operating System
Windows 7 Ulitimate 64 bit
Monitor
LG 29EA93 [2560x1080]
Monitor
Samsung SMB2030N [1600x900]
Monitor
LG L1715S [1280x1024]
Monitor
DIY display on V59 controller[[email protected]]
Keyboard
4Tech X7 G800
Mouse
Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000
Audio
Superlux hd681
Audio
FiiO E07K
Audio
SoundMax Superbeam [bundled with P5B DLX]
Other
Scythe Kaze Master Pro 6 chanell
Other
2x Sharkoon 30cm red cold cathodes
Other
2x Revoltec 10cm UV cold cathodes
CPU
Athlon II X2 250 @2GHZ @1core
Motherboard
Gigabyte 870A-USB3
GPU
Ati X600 128MB
RAM
GoodRam 4gb 1333mhz
Hard Drive
Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB
Hard Drive
6x Hitachi 2TB (RAID 6)
Hard Drive
Samsung 40gb[OS]
Hard Drive
2x160GB RAID 1
Power Supply
Pentagram Silent Force 460W
Operating System
Debian 8.2.0 x64
Other
Ever Eco Pro 700 CDS [UPS]
Other
Edimax EW-7318USg [Access Point]
▲ hide details ▲
post #68 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 44)
Anyone else really liking how most of the slides look?
Quote:

A hex with SMT that has ~85% performance per thread (not per clock or IPC, just in general at stock frequency) of what Haswell has priced between Intel's current 4C/4T and 4C/8T would be good enough. Especially if it's at the same power envelope, which isn't that far off if it's (nearly) a SoC. The die will probably cost most but that's pretty much negated with Intel throwing billions upon billions to maintain a slight edge in foundries. Unlike Intel they're also unlikely to cut SMT off of anything since the defects due to it are rather minimal.
Quote:

Why not do both?

By that, I mean release a high pin count socket that allows them to put a lot of features on the "1090FX" chipset, but cut the more expensive/enthusiast-geared features on "1070" or whatever?
Too many pins is going to be really costly on the low end where every $10 in end cost matters.
E:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

On the CPU side are they targeting IB class performance? How much more IPC does Excavator have versus Piledriver?
SR is roughly 10% over PD, while EX should be ~5% over SR. Zen being 40% over EX should make it at least 50% faster than PD taking marketing BS into account, a 2,8GHz Zen matching the 8350 in single-threaded and being faster in multithreaded sounds pretty nice.
post #69 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 890 (Unique: 501)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

No, they just said they wouldn't be industry leaders in that area. We already knew that. Until they get off of 28nm we aren't going to see them compete with Nvidia in the PPW comparison again.

But that is a problem, 2x performance per watt as the slides suggest for 2016 means that they are relying exclusively on the process shrink, meaning that next year's GCN will be a die shrink of this year's + more cores. Which will mean that they are going to keep being behind Nvidia. Not to mention that Nvidia will have Pascal sometime next year. Did they say anything that isn't on the slides that may go against what I understood from the situation?

Is your CPU bottlenecking your GPU ? Find out: CPU and GPU usage along with FPS in-game
Read my reviews here.
Clubs (founder): The rare / unusual CPU club
Clubs (member): Corsair Professional HX / AX Series PSU Owners Club || The Official Cooler Master HAF X/932/922/912(+) Club
CPU
Core i7-3820
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X79
GPU
MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X
RAM
16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator
Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB
Optical Drive
Sony Optiarc DVD-RW
Power Supply
Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P
Case
Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Monitor
BenQ RL2455HM
Keyboard
Cooler Master Octane
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane
▲ hide details ▲

post #70 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojara View Post

Too many pins is going to be really costly on the low end where every $10 in end cost matters.

Good point, although Lisa did say earlier on in the presentation that they're planning on pivoting away from the low end a bit. Maybe they view it as an acceptable cost tradeoff.

My Biases:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in