[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015 - Page 9 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015

post #81 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 218)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3ERS 2 ASH3S View Post

Id quite expect a leap frog TBH, same thing that it has been for years

The interesting thing about the generation after GM200 and Fiji is that both companies are going to be on finfet (and the first shrink in ~5 years) and HBM2.

You're basically see a reset of the GPU market. Most likely full lineup releases from both NV and AMD in a short time span and both companies mostly using same tech with the differences coming down to architectural differences.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 369 (Unique: 231)
Did Forrest just call PowerPC dead and MIPS too...
PowerPC is very much alive what the hell is wrong with that guy. pffff
post #83 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 217 (Unique: 122)
Nice to finally get a roadmap from AMD, good news to see Fiji is actually coming very soon, nice info on Zen, but disappointed if they're still going to be dragging out GCN with apparently not too much architectural improvement. Still don't see how they plan to combat Pascal with that. That 2x energy efficiency means... they could do ~2x performance or something somewhat close, but they won't because they're going to try selling us a mid-sized die again and save the larger die size capabilities to compete with GP100 whenever Nvidia finally release it after GP104... like they did with Hawaii.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 69)
PowerPC is pretty much limited to embedded and some IBM systems now.
post #85 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 132 (Unique: 89)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

The interesting thing about the generation after GM200 and Fiji is that both companies are going to be on finfet (and the first shrink in ~5 years) and HBM2.

You're basically see a reset of the GPU market. Most likely full lineup releases from both NV and AMD in a short time span and both companies mostly using same tech with the differences coming down to architectural differences.

That would be quite interesting to see. However I also see it to be most beneficial as it would push them both to expand moreso

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Asus sabertooth rev 2.0 BIOS 1503
Coolermaster Haf Stacker
FX 8350 @5.1 @1.7v :O
XSPC Raystorm RS240 + Swiftec D5 pump and 360 Rad
2x AMD XFX 280x DD @ 1210/1700
Rosewill Capstone 750w PSU

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
post #86 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 249 (Unique: 218)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

I did not say HBM at all price points. I said specifically two chips with HBM -
ultra high end (R9 390X) and
high end (R9 380X) with the same chip being used as flagship mobile GPU

Anyway Lisa Su said the GPU product launches will happen in the next 4 - 6 weeks. So Jun 1 (Computex) and Jun 16th (PC E3 Gaming event) are the likely times and places of launch. So not long before we find out. Anyway not enough info to prove anything yet. So hold your horses. rolleyes.gif

Seemed to me like the mobile GPU lineup had already been launched and being offered by the OEMs. And none of mobile slides or statements from Lisa said anything about HBM on mobile. All the HBM talk was specifically during the desktop GPU portions.

Yes, not enough info for conclusive statements here but as far as I'm concerned everything said here much better fits the theory that Fiji is the only really new chip and the only chip with HBM.
Quote:
As for Skylake-E (8 core) vs Zen FX (8 score) I think beating Intel is going to be out of the picture. With 40% higher IPC over Excavator AMD may get around Haswell or best case Broadwell. But Skylake will be untouchable for IPC and max frequency (given Intel's superior 14nm process against Samsung/GF 14nm) . AMD can though look to be competitive. If AMD brings FX 8 core to USD 500 that would benefit even the hardcore Intel loyalists like yourself who now have to pay USD 1000 for the 5960x. tongue.gif

Do remember clocks, Zen will have to reach 3.5GHz+ stock and 4.5GHz+ OC'd in order for these IPC comparisons to really matter.

Either way, overly hopeful optimism towards AMD products from me isn't going to make them perform better against intel. I'd rather keep my expectations low and be positively surprised after launch.

Yes a skylake-E competitor would be great for prices (assuming AMD wouldn't go the original FX route for prices) but I'm not going to speculate on forums that that's going to happen because I honestly don't think it will happen. Has nothing to do with what I want to happen.

I would remind you that I have a bunch of FX chips here, the 5960X is just my daily CPU.

post #87 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 503 (Unique: 276)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

That's manageable like it was this year, but what happens when Pascal is released next year?

Arctic Islands.

Hopefully. And that's hopefully because AMD hasn't said a peep about it so I can't tell you if it competes with pascal or not. But there have been leaks saying second half of 2016. It'll be a change of pace for AMD who usually waits longer between architectures, but it is a unique situation where they have two different innovations in technology happening in a short period: HBM to be followed by 14nm. They can't sit around while Nvidia rides the 14nm hype train to glory, it's do or die.

I only understood why my Mother had been so fond of the adage "Bread will always land butter side down" when one day, on a whim, I asked her if I had been born with such a lumpy head or if it came later. - Me.

post #88 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 4)
"Disruptive Memory Bandwidth"? "Transformational Memory Architecture"? So HBM on Opteron.

post #89 of 283 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

If AMD brings FX 8 core to USD 500 that would benefit even the hardcore Intel loyalists like yourself who now have to pay USD 1000 for the 5960x. tongue.gif
A pretty bad loyalist regarding all the AMD hardware he got. biggrin.gif
But, fore sure, competition is all we need. Hope AMD won't disappoint this time again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

Most likely full lineup releases from both NV and AMD in a short time span and both companies mostly using same tech with the differences coming down to architectural differences.
I's difficult to know if AMD will stay at TSMC regarding dGPUs. If they go Samsung/GF, things will be different and we will have the two companies using two different processes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in