[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification - Page 113 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #1121 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:02 PM
User
 
GoLDii3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Home
Posts: 2,334
Rep: 117 (Unique: 81)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxidized View Post

It could still be a problem
No.

Phantom 410
(17 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard
ASRock Z87 Killer
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO 120 GB
Hard Drive
W.D Caviar Green 1 TB
Hard Drive
W.D Caviar Blue 500 GB
Power Supply
Corsair CX550M
Cooling
Raijintek Themis
Case
NZXT Phantom 410
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell P2416D
Keyboard
Tacens MKHA0
Mouse
Logitech G100S
Mouse
Steelseries QcK Mini
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
Audio
Superlux HD 662 EVO
▲ hide details ▲
GoLDii3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1122 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 10,111
Rep: 340 (Unique: 241)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

We can split it 2/(3+1) thanks to The Stilt and that is just as good.
I think that solution is limited to Windows and MSI AB running each time the system boots up.
Not everyone is using Windows and from those that do not everyone uses MSI AB. Me personally I don't like MSI AB it tries it's best to work on many cards but all in all it's often only compatible with reference and MSI boards.

The fix should be done in HW at best. You can do all changes possible it won't change the HW layout of 50/50 it will only change how the load splits which works when the VRMs have the capacity left to exploit and the VRMs should be fine but doing so is best in firmware/VBIOS or driver at worst which now is kind of fixed in latest driver.

Dargonplay: shhh
JackCY is offline  
post #1123 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Professional Proletariat
 
magnek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Калифорния
Posts: 5,668
Rep: 478 (Unique: 192)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxidized View Post

It could still be a problem

On a bargain bin OEM LGA 775 board with compatibility mode off? Maaaaaaaaybe, but likely OCP will just trip and shut the whole system off.

- 4930K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus X79-Deluxe
- MSi 980 Ti Gaming @ 1500/8000
- 4x4 GB Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz
- 2x 850 Pro 2TB
- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850W
- Phanteks Enthoo Primo
- Custom watercooling (420+360+240)
- XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS
magnek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1124 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:17 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 7200 ft above sea level
Posts: 2,731

Have any of the review sites with the right equipment to measure this overclocked one of these and seen the resulting draw on the motherboard slot?  Will all the additional draw be from the 6 pin connector or will overclocking re-introduce this "problem"?  Looking at Tom's and PCPER they retested at stock clocks.  Maybe this reference card is best left at stock anyway, and an 8 pin would be best from an AIB to overclock, but that would likely eliminate the blower cooler option to exhaust heat from the case.  Running FAH and BOINC can keep a card maxed for days at a time, it would be nice to know what this does under those conditions and overclocked.


Quote:I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents. Not because I'm an expert but because I have a keyboard.


bfromcolo is offline  
post #1125 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Old dog, old tricks
 
ronnin426850's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 9,738
Rep: 574 (Unique: 474)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfromcolo View Post

Have any of the review sites with the right equipment to measure this overclocked one of these and seen the resulting draw on the motherboard slot?  Will all the additional draw be from the 6 pin connector or will overclocking re-introduce this "problem"?  Looking at Tom's and PCPER they retested at stock clocks.  Maybe this reference card is best left at stock anyway, and an 8 pin would be best from an AIB to overclock, but that would likely eliminate the blower cooler option to exhaust heat from the case.  Running FAH and BOINC can keep a card maxed for days at a time, it would be nice to know what this does under those conditions and overclocked.

Seeing how the software fix dropped PCI-E lane load from 85+W to about 65, I would suspect that even if all the load of an overclock goes through the PCI-E, it still would not be a problem on new mobos.

But I would never OC that card. Just to be safe.
ronnin426850 is offline  
post #1126 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 03:30 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Turkiye
Posts: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

I think that solution is limited to Windows and MSI AB running each time the system boots up.
Not everyone is using Windows and from those that do not everyone uses MSI AB.
Done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Me personally I don't like MSI AB it tries it's best to work on many cards but all in all it's often only compatible with reference and MSI boards.
No one who used MSI Afterburner was affected by the freezing fan bug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

The fix should be done in HW at best. You can do all changes possible it won't change the HW layout of 50/50 it will only change how the load splits which works when the VRMs have the capacity left to exploit and the VRMs should be fine but doing so is best in firmware/VBIOS or driver at worst which now is kind of fixed in latest driver.

Dargonplay: shhh
Why, you going to take up extreme overclocking? Even with the extreme load at 1.35v, you can only overstep the current protection by 5% and even then, the heat makes it unfeasible for long term use.
mtcn77 is offline  
post #1127 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV
 
tpi2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,469
Rep: 898 (Unique: 504)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfromcolo View Post

Have any of the review sites with the right equipment to measure this overclocked one of these and seen the resulting draw on the motherboard slot?  Will all the additional draw be from the 6 pin connector or will overclocking re-introduce this "problem"?  Looking at Tom's and PCPER they retested at stock clocks.  Maybe this reference card is best left at stock anyway, and an 8 pin would be best from an AIB to overclock, but that would likely eliminate the blower cooler option to exhaust heat from the case.  Running FAH and BOINC can keep a card maxed for days at a time, it would be nice to know what this does under those conditions and overclocked.


I want to know that too. Answering that will reveal how AMD achieved the trick. If they merely made a percentage shift the problem will come back when overclocking because the power drawn from the PCIe slot will creep back up. And that's saying that the problem went completely away to begin with, which is not exactly the case, it got better, but it's still working out of spec, as only if you apply the compatibility mode does the card operate more or less within spec, but overclocking with that mode on is by definition impossible, it will either fail (as in, it won't overclock) or the mode will turn itself off. If they put a hard lock on the amount of power that can be drawn from the PCIe slot, then it's much safer as all the excess power draw will come from the 6-pin, as it should, but I suspect that they did the former.


tpi2007 is offline  
post #1128 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:52 PM
... not new ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 732
Rep: 105 (Unique: 70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxidized View Post

TBP never heard of it before, stands for?

As was mentioned, it is "Typical Board Power," which 100% is power consumption of the entire product.

TDP is Thermal Design Power - and not necessarily the same as power consumption.
looncraz is offline  
post #1129 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 07:04 PM
Retired but not dead!
 
mcg75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,435
Rep: 311 (Unique: 231)
Thread has run it's course.

Fix has been issued.

If there is sufficient evidence that the fix is not working from a reputable source, create a new thread to discuss it.
mcg75 is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off