[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification - Page 57 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification

post #561 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 04:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 52 (Unique: 38)
So a driver fix will fix the ref cards. Aibs won't have this issue in all likelihood due to 8pin and bios balance tweaks to draw more power from 8 pin. So in essence it's a software fixable issue. It's not like it's the 970. 3.5 GB fiasco which was in hardware and could not be fixed.

Issue was found what 2 days ago and will be fixed by Tuesday or near .. what a drama of a week lol.

Also a lot of reports of increased performance from undervolting the 480 coming in so and could actually get better performance by lowering volt states and solve this issue at the same time. Expecting no performance change overall and lower tdp pulled from the driver update.

i7 930 @ 4.75 -> i7 2700k @ 5.45 -> 3770k @ 5.2 -> 4820k @ 5.1 -> 5820k @ 5.3ghz
GTX580 [email protected] > 7970 lightning [email protected] > 780 TiC [email protected] > 980 Strix Tri [email protected] > Titan X SLI 1633/8380
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #562 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 04:09 AM
User

Rep: 117 (Unique: 81)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

If true that's a huge red flag for me, and instantly casts huge doubt on their credibility.
Red flag of what honestly? Who goes around their life posting on the AMD forum?

Seriously people need to save that thread. It's literally tinfoil hat meets AMD fanboys. There was one guy claiming the thread creator modified the error code display. lachen.gif

Anyways now it's not anymore speculation,it has been confirmed by AMD that something indeed is happening.

Phantom 410
(17 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K
Motherboard
ASRock Z87 Killer
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 750 EVO 120 GB
Hard Drive
W.D Caviar Green 1 TB
Hard Drive
W.D Caviar Blue 500 GB
Power Supply
Corsair CX550M
Cooling
Raijintek Themis
Case
NZXT Phantom 410
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell P2416D
Keyboard
Tacens MKHA0
Mouse
Logitech G100S
Mouse
Steelseries QcK Mini
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
Audio
Superlux HD 662 EVO
▲ hide details ▲
post #563 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 04:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthello View Post

So a driver fix will fix the ref cards. Aibs won't have this issue in all likelihood due to 8pin and bios balance tweaks to draw more power from 8 pin. So in essence it's a software fixable issue. It's not like it's the 970. 3.5 GB fiasco which was in hardware and could not be fixed.

Issue was found what 2 days ago and will be fixed by Tuesday or near .. what a drama of a week lol.

Also a lot of reports of increased performance from undervolting the 480 coming in so and could actually get better performance by lowering volt states and solve this issue at the same time. Expecting no performance change overall and lower tdp pulled from the driver update.

that 3,5g card competes very well with this 8g card so in the end the 3.5 was a non issue irl besides the bull crap slinging

fixed in driver like asyc was in nv drivers?

lets face it,,,amd knew the card was too slow to compete with a 2 year old 28nm 3.5g card so they went to higher boost clocks.
of coarse the card would run better at lower voltage it keeps its boost clocks more constant without much down clocking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #564 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 04:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLDii3 View Post

Red flag of what honestly? Who goes around their life posting on the AMD forum?

Seriously people need to save that thread. It's literally tinfoil hat meets AMD fanboys. There was one guy claiming the thread creator modified the error code display. lachen.gif

Anyways now it's not anymore speculation,it has been confirmed by AMD that something indeed is happening.

how can this happen to a card that uses less power then a 950? and has 2.5 errrr I mean 2x the power and performance of???? some other card.....all according to amd
post #565 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 69)
That's sad, dude just trying to show what happened not even looking for a refund or hand me out and everyone raging at him in the comments and trying to turn it round into his pc being dirty. Fanboys mad.gif
post #566 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 104 (Unique: 78)

I've been given feedback by the PCI-SIG engineers. I'll have the full reply up in an article later, but basically this is a non-issue as far as they're concerned. Their conformance tests only apply as far as being able to use the PCI-E branding on the box and being included in the list of approved systems integrators, and they don't impose limits on how far outside the standard a licensed product can go when overclocked.

However, there's an interesting point to the feedback I received - you can absolutely make a GPU that conforms to most of the PCI-E specifications, but you're not actually required to adhere or even implement any part of the spec. Hence, we have the Radeon R9 295X2 or HD 7990, overdrawing on the auxiliary power because the expectation is that you're going to be using a really overbuilt, beefy PSU to run that system.

Overdrawing on the PSU is not a problem, PCI-SIG don't care. The RX 480 was probably tested and validated at stock speeds, which makes sense because AMD doesn't actually support overclocking and neither do its partners.

I'm also on Twitter. I work for an online hardware magazine.
post #567 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 05:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 217 (Unique: 135)
Problem fixed in driver, power target default is now -10%. Seems to be exactly what is happening.

They rode too close to the power limit and process variability seems to have pushed a number of cards over the limit.

HP-UX. I came, I saw, I was sad it would not run on my X86 box.
skull.gif [Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club skull.gif
post #568 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 06:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 217 (Unique: 135)
New well organized data on powertune targets and how they affect performance and power draw...

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/07/01/investigating-thermal-throttling-undervolting-amds-rx-480/

HP-UX. I came, I saw, I was sad it would not run on my X86 box.
skull.gif [Official]AMD RX 480/ 470/ 460 Owners Club skull.gif
post #569 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 06:39 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 436 (Unique: 300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

I've seen this brought up by a few people, but why?

If the mosfets are hardwired to the power sources, all it means is there's a limit to how much you can pull from each source without going out of spec on either the power source OR mosfets. There's literally nothing stopping you pulling LESS power from each power source, and the bios is what's responsible for controlling how much power is drawn, so I don't see why a bios update couldn't fix this problem.

That could be more of a problem than just fixing it via bios.
It could be that hardware wise it is rigged to pull 50/50 or 70/30 or whatever from different power sources. Even updating bios might not by all accounts mean they can change the power draw through the mosfets

Also if what you say is possible, it means that the power coming to the chip from different mosfets has different source, so you are pulling more power through some mosfets instead of the ones connected to the PCIE slot, which means you are putting too much stress one some instead of another.

Overall I think it is about the design of the card. I don't think just bios update means can fix it.
Another option they might fix it, is lot voltage usage, which might cause less power draw, but go figure its effect on OC.

post #570 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 07:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 735 (Unique: 515)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.msg15438155#msg15438155

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmartyk 
Well there are a lot of reports of PCI slots crapping out, I came home to this in my rig that had 3 RX-480s in it. They all went back for a refund today.

This is the worst case scenario, three cards mining.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in