[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification - Page 66 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification

post #651 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 07:54 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 791 (Unique: 451)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxno View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

aside from 3:3 vrms - those are not only non issues but actually what the SPECS tell you to do;

since i guess you missed my earlier post.
May I ask what is non compilant?

If I understand what it mean then when you power up a gpu the 6/8 pin conector and the pci-e must never work together as one large poll of watt to be used for the gpu as it see fit?

thats EXACTLY what this means:

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #652 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 07:58 PM
professional curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

Honest question here (I'm not trying to be rude or anything), so are you refuting the findings on the video why the pci-e draws more than it should? Why does it draw more than 2.5 amps on the pci-e? Literally because of the VRMS?

its a firmware issue, the bios will regulate what power gets used where. drivers can help by imposing power limits and is easier to get out into the wild. but a new bios would solve the issue.

the vrms are well built - they're better than the ones on my 980ti - which draws alot more power.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #653 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:

thats EXACTLY what this means:

ok nice now I feel that I know more english XDDD. Now using that information and the one of buildzoid about the 3 ground and the need of the middle pin to be used as an ID for the 6 pin then since the gpu can´t identify the 6pin conector as that (a 6pin conector) would that make the gpu offset the power to the pci-e? This is only base of the idead that the data that buildzoid found is correct. I dont know a lot about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #654 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:06 PM
professional curmudgeon

Quote:

ok nice now I feel that I know more english XDDD. Now using that information and the one of buildzoid about the 3 ground and the need of the middle pin to be used as an ID for the 6 pin then since the gpu can´t identify the 6pin conector as that (a 6pin conector) would that make the gpu offset the power to the pci-e? This is only base of the idead that the data that buildzoid found is correct. I dont know a lot about that.

first thing - the card MUST recognize there is a pin there or it will run at a reduced speed OR not power up at all. you can test that yourself by disconnecting the plugs on any/your graphics card and see what (doesn't) happen when you boot wink.gif

buildzoid is completely misinformed- a nice way of saying WRONG. smile.gif

loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #655 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_thaddeus View Post

Here's the link you're looking for:

https://www.twitch.tv/buildzoid/v/75850933

Go to the 54 mnute mark to see the that:

3 of the 6 pin grounds are together, no center sense pin isolated - the top 3 VRMs run to the 6 pin; the bottom 3 VRMs run to the PCI-e fingers. They are on separate circuits and not connected, this is the issue.

Wow, the issue is worse than I imagined. I knew something was wrong, but did not expect the board to be flawed. So I was right with flawed design. Still I don't get why AMD did such a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robenger View Post

Where the heck did all of these brand new accounts come from with less than 50 comments? All of them seem to be pushing the narrative that the 480 is damaging mobos, but I've never seen any of them until this story came along.

If you don't like the message, kill the messenger? RIGHT?!

Or maybe you have some serious case of paranoia, my friend!

Quote:

He beat me to it anyways tkns for providing the link XD

Yeah, thank you. I gave mark_thaddeus a +REP, becaus this was so important to me. Please provide a link directly next time. Though I am thankful to you too!

Quote:

its a firmware issue, the bios will regulate what power gets used where. drivers can help by imposing power limits and is easier to get out into the wild. but a new bios would solve the issue.

the vrms are well built - their better than the ones on my 980ti - which draws alot more power.

It's not a firmware issue if AMD did the hardware wiring on the PCB wrong! All they can potentially do is to limit the card downwards. The issue is bigger than you think. The RX480 reference needs a complete revision overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

That's the power of negative influence. People that have problem want to be loud bout this. Could also be Nvidia agents at work.

Please stop with this bull! I would be equally on the fence if it were another vendor. God, if the issue came from Nvidia, the gates of hell would open and the worst nightmares flooded onto the internet. There is no negative influence except hardware enthusiasts are afraid their expensive components could be damaged. In order to avoid that, we all search for pieces of the truth. That's all there is to it!

AMD deserves this backlash. Such mistakes should never ever happen.
post #656 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 PM
professional curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Hoshi View Post

Quote:

the vrms are well built - their better than the ones on my 980ti - which draws alot more power.

It's not a firmware issue if AMD did the hardware wiring on the PCB wrong! All they can potentially do is to limit the card downwards. The issue is bigger than you think. The RX480 reference needs a complete revision overhaul.

any claim as far as AMD wiring the card wrong is complete rubbish. wink.gif

loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #657 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:20 PM
... not new ...

Rep: 105 (Unique: 70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle View Post

Your assertion is incorrect. The watt is a rate precisely because it is defined that way. The joule is a volume because it is defined as a certain number of electrons and implies no motion. Only a rate can be used to measure instantaneous power. Volume cannot.

One watt per second would be equivalent to "one joule per second per second" which implies a curve. He was not talking about a curve so this is irrelevant.

Ugh, stupid wrong word in there. Replace the first mention of Joules with Watt...

You said watts didn't have a time dimension, which it does by definition.
post #658 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Professional Proletariat

Rep: 478 (Unique: 192)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Hoshi View Post

proof.gif
Quote:
Please stop with this bull! I would be equally on the fence if it were another vendor. God, if the issue came from Nvidia, the gates of hell would open and the worst nightmares flooded onto the internet. There is no negative influence except hardware enthusiasts are afraid their expensive components could be damaged. In order to avoid that, we all search for pieces of the truth. That's all there is to it!

AMD deserves this backlash. Such mistakes should never ever happen.

lol if this came from nVidia it'd be an 80/20 split of opinions, and guess which side is gonna win? wink.gif

Re bold part: lachen.gif

One of the leading arguments team green put forward was "well this card is marketed towards those on a budget who would be running cheap $50 motherboards, so obviously your $300 motherboard not getting damaged doesn't mean jack squat". So no, can't have your cake and eat it too.

- 4930K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus X79-Deluxe
- MSi 980 Ti Gaming @ 1500/8000
- 4x4 GB Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz
- 2x 850 Pro 2TB
- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850W
- Phanteks Enthoo Primo
- Custom watercooling (420+360+240)
- XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS
post #659 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

proof.gif

Have you seen the video stream of "buildoiz", mentioned by Bauxno here and link given by mark_thaddeus?

Here again:
https://www.twitch.tv/buildzoid/v/75850933

After the whole pre-story, it starts right before 54 minutes in. By voltmeter the user measures the PCB for his voltage mod.

He finds out it is a 50:50 split on the board itselff or PCI-Express-SLOT and PCIe-6pin. This explains why the card behaves like it does in tests. Look for yourself.

Quote:

lol if this came from nVidia it'd be an 80/20 split of opinions, and guess which side is gonna win? wink.gif

By marketshare: Yes
By reality: No

Everyone would be on the fence if it is proven. But since the AMD fans are way to used shouting garbage all day long, many would try to stay neutral at first. Since AMD is the "underdog" - lots of sites try the cruising gear tone to not sound mean.
Quote:

One of the leading arguments team green put forward was "well this card is marketed towards those on a budget who would be running cheap $50 motherboards, so obviously your $300 motherboard not getting damaged doesn't mean jack squat". So no, can't have your cake and eat it too.

Even a budget build can be worth several hundrets. CPU, Mainboard, PSU, SSD, RAM and whatever could be affected. If it were only the GPU, easy case. Once you mess with the whole system it is no joke anymore. Especially since the card is in the mainstream segment, the issue becomes even more devastating.

The RX480 should never ever behave like it does. Someone really messed up here.
post #660 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Rep: 101 (Unique: 66)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZan View Post

Of course you should. I'm still the Queen of Nigeria and I still need a small loan to regain my throne. I promise that you'll be repaid with 150% interest by this time next year.
This brightened my day...bellowed with laughter so loudly and abruptly, I scared customers at my workplace +rep for the laugh.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in