[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification - Page 67 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification

post #661 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
I've done a new build after the RX480's had a fun time with my old rampage. Heard AMD released drivers to solve the issue today?

:Red Tide:
:ASUS ROG Rampage IV X79 Owner's Club:
Originally Posted by DJkelly go_quote.gif
I was trying to do a pencil mod for lower vdroop while the computer was turned on

Former Micro Center Employee & Glass Explorer. If you have any questions about Micro Center or Google Glass. =
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubeman View Post

I've done a new build after the RX480's had a fun time with my old rampage. Heard AMD released drivers to solve the issue today?

There seems to have been an announcement that AMd would provide information on Tuersday.

source copied from
Computerbase.de

As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016).
AMD
post #663 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Hoshi View Post

There seems to have been an announcement that AMd would provide information on Tuersday.

source copied from
Computerbase.de

As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016).
AMD

Thanks.

I replied back on the ticket saying "It wasn't my memory or drivers" and stated again about the PCIE voltage/wattage issue. If it's another copy pasta response on their ticket system ill just link the articles i found or wait for AMD to officially release the fix. (Not asking XFX to refund me a new rig, Asking them to compensate for the fact I had to basically do a new rig or buy a used MB to replace my old.)

:Red Tide:
:ASUS ROG Rampage IV X79 Owner's Club:
Originally Posted by DJkelly go_quote.gif
I was trying to do a pencil mod for lower vdroop while the computer was turned on

Former Micro Center Employee & Glass Explorer. If you have any questions about Micro Center or Google Glass. =
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 150 (Unique: 67)
Not that anyone cares, because it's a big flame AMD fest...

I think part of the problem is AMD release drivers default overvolted the ever living crap out of their cards. My Wattman has me sitting at 1.15V default, for stock clocks I can undervolt it by 125mV and the memory by 75mV, for a mild 3.5% (45MHz) OC, I can undervolt it by 75mV.

They didn't 'leave room' in their Wattman tool to overvolt at all. It was default at the max voltage. This is with an ASIC of 70%, which is 'better' then only 2.2% of cards reported through GPU-Z. That means my voltages and temps on reference air should be among the worst seen out there.

post #665 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post

Because it proves that this whole deal have been ignited just because its AMD.

The GTX 950 have sold 10 times more than what the RX 480 probably will in this quarter yet no eyebrows were raised when the tests showed the GTX 950 spiking way above the 75W the motherboard PCIe slow was rated for, so why is this issue finally coming to light now? Why not before?

Ignorance is not the reason as the tests were there, proving how much those cards spiked above the 75W the motherboard was rated, it's just that nobody cared because Nvidia.

Whats the point of shifting all attention into one card that presents an issue that 90% of current and past cards present?

Part of your confusion stems from the belief that spikes are more important or just as important than sustained. Motherboard manufacturers aren't concerned about spikes as much as sustained.

Considering all the power supply reviews I have read energy spikes don't concern me as much either because burst will always occur. The fact is that the damage from sustained limit breaking will wear down components faster.
post #666 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:17 PM
... not new ...

Rep: 105 (Unique: 70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxno View Post

Afther waching the stream of builzoid the conclution that came with him making some test was that the pcb of the rx480 is a mess.
3 VRM and the chip are powered by the 6 pin and the other 3 VRM and the vram are powered by the pic-e. Both the pcie and 6 pin work without tranfers power between each other so AMD can not offset power from the pci-e to the 6pin.

Also the 6pin its working with 3 ground pins when 1 of those should be used to reconize the conector as a 6pins wich doesn´t do.

Well that was what he found so is best to wait for AIB cards and also AIB cards with custom pcb since if they use the same pcb of the reference it will not matter if they put a 8pin or 5 8pin conectors since the pci-e will still use the same watts as is using now.

Lowering the vram my help reduce the watt usage of the card so maybe someone can test that.

sry for my english.

His analysis is bogus.

You only use a sensing pin when you might have an 8-pin connector, otherwise the spec says you can just solder the +12 and grounds on the 6-pin. You don't have any other possible connector that would be plugged into the card...

Splitting phases in the VRM between PEGslot and PEGaux is a total non-issue for a card that was supposed to peak at 150W - the RAM is pulling from the PCI-e, which is where the over-current is occurring, AFAICT. GDDR5 can pull 30~40W easily.

EDIT: I see looniam already covered this... my bad
post #667 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Sunday League Jibber

Rep: 642 (Unique: 200)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHADthc View Post

This brightened my day...bellowed with laughter so loudly and abruptly, I scared customers at my workplace +rep for the laugh.

:thumb: I'm all about scaring the customers! Needless to say that is why I work in a lab away from the humans. :D

Farewel happy Fields; Where Joy for ever dwells; Hail horrours, hail; Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell; Receive thy new Possessor; One who brings; A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time; The mind is its own place, and in it self; Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.
SuperZan's Doombot
(14 items)
SuperZan's YT-1300
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Leather Jacket Edition 11GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3200 14-14-14-34 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games)
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage)
Hard Drive
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD (Linux)
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Cooling
EK-Supremacy MX CPU Block
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 + DDC Pump
Cooling
XSPC Razor (1080 Ti) GPU Block
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360 Rad
Cooling
XSPC EX280 Rad
Case
Corsair 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
3x Dell D2719HGF 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz Freesync
Keyboard
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Razor Firefly
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset
Audio
Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones
Audio
S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier
Other
Xbox One Controller
Other
Wacom Intuous S Drawing Pad (CTL4100)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R3 1200
Motherboard
ASRock AB350m Pro4
GPU
PowerColor PCS+ R9 380x 4GB
RAM
Samsung 8 GB (2x4GB) @ 2400
Hard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Solus)
Hard Drive
Kingston V200 128GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
WD Blue 250GB HDD
Power Supply
Seasonic S12II 430 Bronze 430w
Cooling
AMD Prism RGB Cooler
Case
DIYPC Cuboid-G Black/Green
Operating System
Solus Budgie
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
LYILIN 2.4GHz Mini Wireless & Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse
Other
Steam Controller
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
Asrock Z97 Extreme6
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-28 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case
Corsair Carbide 300R
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Pixio PX277 27" 2560x1440p 144Hz Freesync
Keyboard
HP Generic
Mouse
Logitech Generic
Audio
HyperX Cloud
▲ hide details ▲

post #668 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Professional Proletariat

Rep: 478 (Unique: 192)
Quote:

Have you seen the video stream of "buildoiz", mentioned by Bauxno here and link given by mark_thaddeus?

Here again:
https://www.twitch.tv/buildzoid/v/75850933

After the whole pre-story, it starts right before 54 minutes in. By voltmeter the user measures the PCB for his voltage mod.

He finds out it is a 50:50 split on the board itselff or PCI-Express-SLOT and PCIe-6pin. This explains why the card behaves like it does in tests. Look for yourself.

How is this proof that AMD did the hardware wiring on the PCB wrong?

And as I've stated at least three times, even if the power distribution can't be programmed by rail in the bios, you could just as easily lower the global power target to decrease the total power draw until the sustained average through PEG does not exceed 75W.

Not to mention undervolting is another option, though impractical to implement on a large scale. But claiming this is a hardware flaw that can't be fixed except by PCB redesign, yeah I don't buy that.
Quote:
By marketshare: Yes
By reality: No

Everyone would be on the fence if it is proven. But since the AMD fans are way to used shouting garbage all day long, many would try to stay neutral at first. Since AMD is the "underdog" - lots of sites try the cruising gear tone to not sound mean.

Right because nVidia fans don't do the exact same thing. Maybe you should head over to HardOCP and check out the witch hunt that's going on there, it's absolutely farcical.
Quote:
Even a budget build can be worth several hundrets. CPU, Mainboard, PSU, SSD, RAM and whatever could be affected. If it were only the GPU, easy case. Once you mess with the whole system it is no joke anymore. Especially since the card is in the mainstream segment, the issue becomes even more devastating.

The RX480 should never ever behave like it does. Someone really messed up here.

So we've gone from 480 would cause motherboards to dei, to it'll pretty much do anything and everything, including blowing up your entire rig. Yeah ok I'm done here.

- 4930K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus X79-Deluxe
- MSi 980 Ti Gaming @ 1500/8000
- 4x4 GB Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz
- 2x 850 Pro 2TB
- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850W
- Phanteks Enthoo Primo
- Custom watercooling (420+360+240)
- XB270HU 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS
post #669 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:38 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 791 (Unique: 451)
Quote:

Have you seen the video stream of "buildoiz", mentioned by Bauxno here and link given by mark_thaddeus?

Here again:

After the whole pre-story, it starts right before 54 minutes in. By voltmeter the user measures the PCB for his voltage mod.

He finds out it is a 50:50 split on the board itselff or PCI-Express-SLOT and PCIe-6pin. This explains why the card behaves like it does in tests. Look for yourself.

have a vid from someone who knows what they're talking about:

@ 55 minutes buildoiz is just sticking a multimeter to compoints and saying, "omg i have no idea why they did that!" "i hate that voltage controller!" "this is so stupid!"

as i said several times those grounds/sense pin are going to be shorted, as according to pci-sig specs whether his multimeter picks that up or not sticking it in the card's molex connector doesn't matter; they'll all be shorted to each other the second he plugs in the power connector.

there is NO PROBLEM updating the firmware to use vrms on the 6 pin more so than on the pci slot using that voltage controller than buildoiz hates.

after my posts for the last few days - i am expecting nvidia to revoke my green card! THANKS AMD! mad.gif

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #670 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 09:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 92)
Quote:

Here again:

By marketshare: Yes
By reality: No

Everyone would be on the fence if it is proven. But since the AMD fans are way to used shouting garbage all day long, many would try to stay neutral at first. Since AMD is the "underdog" - lots of sites try the cruising gear tone to not sound mean.
Even a budget build can be worth several hundrets. CPU, Mainboard, PSU, SSD, RAM and whatever could be affected. If it were only the GPU, easy case. Once you mess with the whole system it is no joke anymore. Especially since the card is in the mainstream segment, the issue becomes even more devastating.

The RX480 should never ever behave like it does. Someone really messed up here.

So let me get this right, random YOU-TUBER makes a claim = fact. Looniam provides copy of part of the pcie spec and you completely fail to read or acknowledge that.
Then proclaim that all the people involved with the design and production of said adapter card are completely incompetent at their daily jobs. rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi go_quote.gif

You're just nitpicking words now. I was talking about in terms of performance, those are the only measurements that matter. Not IPC or clock speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi go_quote.gif

If Bulldozer came out of the box at 5 ghz and overclocked to 6 ghz on air, no one would have said it was a failure.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in