[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification - Page 69 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification

 
Thread Tools
post #681 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 10:56 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
BulletBait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,393
Rep: 150 (Unique: 67)
@Hardware Hoshi

Seeing as how my card is in the bottom 2% ASIC of reported 480s so far and I can undervolt by 13% at stock reference on air, yeah I feel I can speak for that. It should be worst case scenario or darn near.

You say this like only AMD ever messes something up. I've seen equal numbers of Intel and nV screwing up (if not more since they release more often) as AMD. So they overvolted their cards obviously, that's easily fixed. You can't fix .5GB on a separate bus like that.

Out of proportion and trolling is easy to spot. Stop trying to pin this on us as 'defending' and admit you're on the offensive over a non-issue. Because it is a non-issue when compared to past cards that overdrew the PCI and didn't cause problems, even on budget boards.



BulletBait is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #682 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 10:57 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Themisseble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,001
Rep: 38 (Unique: 29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blued View Post

Some guy mining without issues for 3 years on 3 280x burnt out the 12v pins on 24-pin mobo connector after mining for 6 hours on 3 480s. Must use powered pcie risers to avoid potential issues, esp with multi-GPU systems.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?to...88#msg15438988

RX 480s were not the issue.
Themisseble is offline  
post #683 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 10:58 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Obviously I wish that AMD could ever have a product release that couldn't be nitpicked for some minor issue and blown way out of proportion by team green but it is what it is. I don't personally think anybody has anything to worry about and whatever issue is at play here will almost certainly be fixed very quickly in my opinion. But team green has succeeded again at shifting the focus away from what is overall a very good product release for AMD. Now of course the stupid pcie slot issue is all anybody can talk about, as though we are now witnessing the Auschwitz of motherboards happening right before our eyes!

I have a suggestion for any of you guys who want to become a Reddit legend. Take some old motherboard that you're not using anymore and jump two of the pins on the 24 pin connector. Place photos of burned motherboard on Reddit and claim that the evil 480 slaughtered your poor motherboard! You too can be a hero on the Internet! rolleyes.gif

Nobody ever worried about this



Now people are losing their minds the RX 480 arrowheadsmiley.png

I just don't get it, then you have these misinformed warriors through all of the net like Hardware Hoshi who monger the fear with no other basis than Fanboyism. We as a community do deserve Nvidia's GTX 1080 800$ Wallet Punishment, we're just not smart enough.
Dargonplay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #684 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Amiga 600
 
delboy67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ireland
Posts: 659
Rep: 53 (Unique: 33)
I really must lol at the nv shills who scream theres a gimp type driver on the way for the 480, hey guys meet my gtx680! Now imagine the faux outcry if the 7970/r9 280x dropped that much performance in the latest games......

C64>Amiga600>Packard Bell pre-built>Custom build1>Compaq pre-built>Custom build2>xb360+ps3>Custom build3>Custom build4+HP Envy 15
Custom build 4
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard
Asrock B450 K4
GPU
Asus ROG Strixx Vega 56
RAM
16GB 3200mhz Corsair lpx
Hard Drive
Crucial P1 1TB NVME
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB HDD
Power Supply
Corsair hx650
Cooling
Amd wraith
Case
Aviator V
Operating System
Win10
Monitor
iiyama 27" 1440p freesync
Keyboard
Corsair K30
Mouse
Logitech G300
Mousepad
Razer Sphex
Audio
Logitech
Other
Oculus Rift S
▲ hide details ▲
delboy67 is offline  
post #685 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:05 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Hoshi View Post

I trust my instinct and the amount of scientific knowledge that is actually measurable.

Oh, you mean any information that favors Nvidia? Next thing you'll say is that is better to have 300W Spikes over the PCIe X16 slot like with the GTX 960 as long as you have a lower average instead of having a slightly higher average of 79W but with lower 140W spikes.

Last time I showed you the 960 Strix graph you went on full misinformation and said it was PCIe PSU consumption instead of what it really was (The MOBO X16 PCIe Slow Power Consumption), people corrected you and you still went on about more misinformation, now I post a 750Ti graph with no PCIe PSU Power Connector and it suddenly turns into a "not scientific measurable knowledge" thumb.gif
Dargonplay is offline  
post #686 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:13 PM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,774
Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Obviously I wish that AMD could ever have a product release that couldn't be nitpicked for some minor issue and blown way out of proportion by team green but it is what it is. I don't personally think anybody has anything to worry about and whatever issue is at play here will almost certainly be fixed very quickly in my opinion. But team green has succeeded again at shifting the focus away from what is overall a very good product release for AMD. Now of course the stupid pcie slot issue is all anybody can talk about, as though we are now witnessing the Auschwitz of motherboards happening right before our eyes!

I have a suggestion for any of you guys who want to become a Reddit legend. Take some old motherboard that you're not using anymore and jump two of the pins on the 24 pin connector. Place photos of burned motherboard on Reddit and claim that the evil 480 slaughtered your poor motherboard! You too can be a hero on the Internet! rolleyes.gif

Right because it is one big conspiracy rolleyes.gif

Now you start to sound like a trolling nvidia hater who all he does is defend his favourite manufacturer.

All the nvidia cards and technology have been nitpicked in the past. The 970 with the 0.5GB, the "gameworks" hate, etc etc. There is as much hate directed to nvidia (like you are doing yourself constantly) as against AMD.

Also two wrong things don't make a right. The fact that it is nitpicked does not mean we should ignore it and completely say "well AMD are the underdogs, and everyone love underdogs, so we should all buy the 480 regardless of everything bad in it".

Being an underdog does not mean we should give them a long rope to play dirty. If them being the underdog is your excuse to act blind silly, you are just a full blown hypocrite.


Defoler is offline  
post #687 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,774
Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post

Oh, you mean any information that favors Nvidia? Next thing you'll say is that is better to have 300W Spikes over the PCIe X16 slot like with the GTX 960 as long as you have a lower average instead of having a slightly higher average of 79W but with lower 140W spikes.

Last time I showed you the 960 Strix graph you went on full misinformation and said it was PCIe PSU consumption instead of what it really was (The MOBO X16 PCIe Slow Power Consumption), people corrected you and you still went on about more misinformation, now I post a 750Ti graph with no PCIe PSU Power Connector and it suddenly turns into a "not scientific measurable knowledge" thumb.gif

The 960 stirx (and AIB card designed but asus, not nvidia reference card, learn the freakin difference), taking more power, does not mean we should ignore the 480 power draw.

You claim "well if they are doing it, it is just fine!"? That is one of the worst stupid argument possible.

Also watch this check of the 960 strix you keep claiming about, done because of the 480:
https://youtu.be/ZjAlrGzHAkI?t=28m40s

It doesn't break the specs (unlike the 480).


Defoler is offline  
post #688 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:20 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
BulletBait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,393
Rep: 150 (Unique: 67)
@Defoler

I'd hardly say they're 'playing dirty' since they admitted a problem in certain cases, and promised to fix it.

Unlike playing deaf, dumb, and stupid to a .5 GB problem.

Just stop, you're embarrassing yourselves at this point. It's a non-issue, same as the 3.5 was back in the 970 era of gaming when few games passed 2GB, let alone 3GB. It may be an issue now and in the future, but it's almost two years after release and most nV customers upgrade every cycle anyways. Therefore it still makes it a 'non-issue' because who cares when you're spending $300-700 every cycle(2 years), right?



BulletBait is offline  
post #689 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Performance is the bible
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,774
Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post

@Defoler

I'd hardly say they're 'playing dirty' since they admitted a problem in certain cases, and promised to fix it.

Unlike playing deaf, dumb, and stupid to a .5 GB problem.

Just stop, you're embarrassing yourselves at this point. It's a non-issue, same as the 3.5 was back in the 970 era of gaming when few games passed 2GB, let alone 3GB. It may be an issue now and in the future, but it's almost two years after release and most nV customers upgrade every cycle anyways. Therefore it still makes it a 'non-issue' because who cares when you're spending $300-700 every cycle(2 years), right?

Its a "non issue" when you have the possibility (and with some claims already out) of killing a motherboard?
When did those 0.5GB memory difference killed a hardware component?

The only one embarrassing himself is you for claiming a hardware problem is a non-issue and comparing it to a performance of another hardware. That is just plain silly.
Also, the 970 was market for the 1080p, not the 4K right? Who in his right mind was buying a 4GB mid range card for 4K?

On the other hand, how many 480 buyers are just going to run the first driver they see for the next year or so and forget to update it?

AMD admitted the problem because, well... it seems to be killing hardware, not causing less performance. Learn the difference.

If a car caused you to head into a tree, you will not classify it as a non-issue and compare it to a car giving 120bhp instead of 125bhp specified, right?


Defoler is offline  
post #690 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:31 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Ghoxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 2,877
Rep: 159 (Unique: 128)
Quote:
Quote: madmartyk
"Well there are a lot of reports of PCI slots crapping out, I came home to this in my rig that had 3 RX-480s in it.  They all went back for a refund today."



This is the worst case scenario, three cards mining.

 

Quote:
 
  Summary - madmartyk Picture/Text
Name: madmartyk
Posts: 3730
Activity: 924
Position: Hero Member
Date Registered: December 23, 2013, 08:37:04 PM
Last Active: Today at 03:05:02 AM

 

Nope not an issue at all. :rolleyes: PCPer explained exactly how this could happen when 2-4 CF cards could cause droop on the PCI-E connection voltage and caused Amperage to rise. Boom! And he's not a 1 post newbie.

 

Oh well.

Quote:
You were the chosen one RX480! It was said that you would destroy Nvidia, not join them. You were to bring balance to the GPU's, not leave it in darkness...

"Everyone is entitled to their own Opinions, but not their own Facts!" cigar.gif

Ghoxt is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off