[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification - Page 71 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification

post #701 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post

I've been running the 480 at stock volts and undervolt on a 990FX board which all of them have only PCI 2.0 slots, without the 4 pin molexs jumper to the PCI slots, and have yet to run into a problem.

Just because some jackwad who obviously had and old an never maintained build with a crap PSU and OCed his CPU and GPU is not enough to make me go into insane mode.

If someone doesn't know wth they're doing and doesn't maintain their equipment properly is no problem of mine. The 480 didn't fry his board, he fried his board. The recent miner frying his board... it's a miner, running your equipment 24/7 at max for 3 years will degrade your equipment. I've blown boards, GPUs, and CPUs BOINCing 24/7. Again, I am not concerned.

Stop being ridiculous, because that's exactly what all of you are being.

Just because your system is not fried yet, it doesn't mean anything.

Not every damage occurs instant. There is always the damage over time possibility. Most of the defects happen after longer periods of stress. Reports of defects on the internet say they had the crashes or burn downs after several hours of intense gaming. In short we need longterm stress tests and more experience with this card and behavior.

Although we need to take a whitelist for what hardware worked and which may have been compromised. Everything else is unprofessional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #702 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 150 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Hoshi View Post

Just because your system is not fried yet, it doesn't mean anything.

Not every damage occurs instant. There is always the damage over time possibility. Most of the defects happen after longer periods of stress. Reports of defects on the internet say they had the crashes or burn downs after several hours of intense gaming. In short we need longterm stress tests and more experience with this card and behavior.

Although we need to take a whitelist for what hardware worked and which may have been compromised. Everything else is unprofessional.

Fine, I'll do a burn-in tonight at stock voltage to prove you wrong. This whole entire shenanigans is just dumb, but if it makes you feel better, I'll do it.

Not like I have anything better to do. Ot of proportion is out of proportion no matter which way you slice it.

post #703 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 11:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 21)
Quote:

Fine, I'll do a burn-in tonight at stock voltage to prove you wrong. This whole entire shenanigans is just dumb, but if it makes you feel better, I'll do it.

Not like I have anything better to do. Ot of proportion is out of proportion no matter which way you slice it.

Please don't be miffed about this!
As I said, the damage can occur slowly. It has not to be visible immediatly. This is why the issue is so problematic. You can think you are not fine, but at the same time your mainboard / components get worn out faster than usual.

Don't blame me for what is going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #704 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:

Please don't be miffed about this!
As I said, the damage can occur slowly. It has not to be visible immediatly. This is why the issue is so problematic. You can think you are not fine, but at the same time your mainboard / components get worn out faster than usual.

Don't blame me for what is going on.

I think he's blaming you exclusively for fear mongering.

By the time any degradation occurs we're all going to upgrade anyway, we're talking shy of a decade of daily use here, and even then that is conservative.

And before you even answer with inmensurable data I'll even quote what you said
Quote:

I trust my instinct and the amount of scientific knowledge that is actually measurable.

So with your answer I'd like to see how measurable the data backing up your claim is because I have a feeling there's 99% bias, instinct and anecdotal evidence with it.
post #705 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 159 (Unique: 128)
Quote:

While you are almost saying people are making this up due to your experience how would you know? You have a world class Motherboard with good components from what we understand. No one is saying your situation would bring about disaster.

"Everyone is entitled to their own Opinions, but not their own Facts!" cigar.gif

post #706 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 137 (Unique: 124)
Guys, common. Both Nvidia and AMD mess things up here and there. Neither company is a bunch of saints.

I can tell you how I feel as a potential buyer with no particular inclination to go neither red nor green. I am on a market for a graphics card. I don't want to spend over $300. Buying a 2 year old 970 for ~$260 doesn't seem like a very good idea cause it's an aging piece of tech. Plus, 3.5Gb thing kinda bothers me.

I was looking forward to this release and was really close to pulling the trigger on 8GB XFX card with that sweet looking backplate... But then decided to hold off to see what aftermarket 480s as well as 1060 will bring to the table. And kind of happy I did. All the reports that RX 480 pulls too much power from the pci-e slot are alarming. It's not even about users who's pci-e slots melted and stopped working but the credible (IMO) reviewers, such as PCPer, that made me think twice before buying a reference card. It doesn't seem reasonable to dismiss these reports as Nvidia conspiracy and bunch of smoke. I mean, the true scale of this issue, whether it's significant or not, will appear very soon. Why do people keep insulting each other over this?
post #707 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg84 View Post

Guys, common. Both Nvidia and AMD mess things up here and there. Neither company is a bunch of saints.

I can tell you how I feel as a potential buyer with no particular inclination to go neither red nor green. I am on a market for a graphics card. I don't want to spend over $300. Buying a 2 year old 970 for ~$260 doesn't seem like a very good idea cause it's an aging piece of tech. Plus, 3.5Gb thing kinda bothers me.

I was looking forward to this release and was really close to pulling the trigger on 8GB XFX card with that sweet looking backplate... But then decided to hold off to see what aftermarket 480s as well as 1060 will bring to the table. And kind of happy I did. All the reports that RX 480 pulls too much power from the pci-e slot are alarming. It's not even about users who's pci-e slots melted and stopped working but the credible (IMO) reviewers, such as PCPer, that made me think twice before buying a reference card. It doesn't seem reasonable to dismiss these reports as Nvidia conspiracy and bunch of smoke. I mean, the true scale of this issue, whether it's significant or not, will appear very soon. Why do people keep insulting each other over this?

Exactly +rep.
post #708 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 175 (Unique: 93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post

So much for measurable scientific data right here.

Does it matter ? We can show you all the proofs you mon't recognize 'em.
Facts are plain simple, AMD did not respected PCIe specs with their RX480 Vanilla and by a big margin. Period.
How is it possible ? It's another question...

post #709 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 150 (Unique: 67)
Oh... one day ASUS components and mobos are crap, the next they're top notch.

Either way, it's still PCI 2.0 and rated for less then PCI 3.0 which is most modern Intel boards and has 90%+ consumer marketshare these days.

Which ever way you try to play this, it's still going all hulk mode on what is a non-issue anyways.

post #710 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 877 (Unique: 233)
Some dude on the bitcoin forums claimed that his motherboard was fried from running 3x RX 480s (under-clocked his cards)....

well...

Take 6x R9 290xs each pulling 66W from the 12v rail and around 9W from the 3.3v rail of their respective motherboard PCIe slot. Do the math...

That is 450W being pulled from the motherboard (I ran that on several machines during the bitcoin heyday and many other users run similar configurations on cheap motherboards).

This user wants us to believe is that 3x RX 480s pulling 80W each from their respective PCIe Slots are somehow responsible for burning out the motherboards 24-pin connector.

Lets do the math.. 3x 80W = 240W.

So let me ask you all... how come many bitcoin miners can run 6 R9 290xs on the same motherboard using PCIe ribbon cables pulling 450W without a single issue yet 3 RX 480s are somehow responsible for burning out a motherboard after pulling 240W?

What is a larger number. 240 or 450???

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)
Zen
(12 items)
Kn0wledge
(18 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming
GPU
Sapphire Radeon 5700XT Pulse 8GB
RAM
32GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series
Hard Drive
XPG GAMMIX 512GB S11 Pro
Power Supply
Corsair TX850M
Case
Corsair Carbide Series Spec-DELTA
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
ViewSonic VX3258-2KC-MHD
Keyboard
CORSAIR Gaming K95 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Mouse
Corsair M65 PRO RGB Gaming Mouse
Audio
SoundBlaster Z Sound Card
CPU
Intel® Xeon E5-1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme
GPU
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080Ti
RAM
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum PC3-17066
Hard Drive
WD Black NVMe M.2 2280
Hard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Hard Drive
4TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Optical Drive
ASUS internal BW-12B1ST Blu-ray writer
Power Supply
XFX PRO1050W Black Edition
Case
Cosmos II Ultra Tower
Operating System
Windows 10
Operating System
Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance® K90 Performance
Mouse
Logitech G9x Laser Mouse
Audio
ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
▲ hide details ▲
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in