[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification - Page 74 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Reddit] RX 480 fails PCI-E specification

post #731 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 07:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0

PCIE SLOT 12V sustained exceeding 10A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #732 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmcetc View Post

PCIE SLOT 12V sustained exceeding 10A

I get the idea they are saying it's no problem as they have played the sound of a baby crying when showing the results lol.

I'd like to see a video of people testing 2-3 cards for extended periods.
post #733 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 07:54 AM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1793 (Unique: 1172)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitng4realGPU View Post

I get the idea they are saying it's no problem as they have played the sound of a baby crying when showing the results lol.

I'd like to see a video of people testing 2-3 cards for extended periods.

People that get 2 or 3 cards it's not a problem.

1) They know what they are doing and are few in number. They are most likely using a decent motherboard.
2) They are miners. Let them burn.

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #734 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

2) They are miners. Let them burn.

laugher.gif
post #735 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 AM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1793 (Unique: 1172)
Just noticed that my MB has a OC-PEG connector. What is the use for it? Will this connector save my PCIE slots?

Yamato
(10 items)
Ishimura
(13 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
▲ hide details ▲

post #736 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:00 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 778 (Unique: 446)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

Anyway, based on buildzoid's video the GPU VRM power input is infact split between the PCI-E slot and PCI-E power connector (and not just shorted), like I expected. w1zzard from TPU promised to make me some measurements to find out the exact structure of the card. If the power source for the GPU VRM phases are split 50/50 between PCI-E slot and the PCI-E power connector, I should be able to remedy the excess power draw from the slot quite easily. The fix could be applied either by Afterburner or by using a modified bios (once flash tools are available). The fix doesn't affect the total power draw of the card or the performance.

thanks for reaffirming what i believe:

1) it is perfectly sensible to have the vrms split 50/50 with 150 watt TDP chip and both power supplies "rated" @75 watts.

2) a bios would fix this (and i'll add) permanently.

its seems there is a lot of people, though very intelligent, don't know enough to connect the dots w/o guessing and start to make things up. i'll admit to being guilt of that myself as i am sure have others.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #737 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:16 AM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1092 (Unique: 517)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekg84 View Post

Guys, common. Both Nvidia and AMD mess things up here and there. Neither company is a bunch of saints.

I can tell you how I feel as a potential buyer with no particular inclination to go neither red nor green. I am on a market for a graphics card. I don't want to spend over $300. Buying a 2 year old 970 for ~$260 doesn't seem like a very good idea cause it's an aging piece of tech. Plus, 3.5Gb thing kinda bothers me.

I was looking forward to this release and was really close to pulling the trigger on 8GB XFX card with that sweet looking backplate... But then decided to hold off to see what aftermarket 480s as well as 1060 will bring to the table. And kind of happy I did. All the reports that RX 480 pulls too much power from the pci-e slot are alarming. It's not even about users who's pci-e slots melted and stopped working but the credible (IMO) reviewers, such as PCPer, that made me think twice before buying a reference card. It doesn't seem reasonable to dismiss these reports as Nvidia conspiracy and bunch of smoke. I mean, the true scale of this issue, whether it's significant or not, will appear very soon. Why do people keep insulting each other over this?

I'd honestly wait for the 1060 to come out if I were you. By then the 480 AIBs will be out too and you can make more informed decision on which card is best for your $200-300.

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #738 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defoler View Post

I find it hilarious that you don't know how graphs work, width of graphs and how pixels work.
But good job "cherry picking" the graph, its resize, and claim it as average of 150W while it isn't. rolleyes.gif

I find it hilarious that you don't know how to read. I said the average is lower while the spikes are higher, which worries me more than a slightly higher average but with lower spikes.
post #739 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Meeeeeeeow!

Rep: 428 (Unique: 299)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaesthetic View Post

Agreed. It does suck that Nvidia skimps out on reference board designs compared to AMD. But if you look at it from a margins perspective, it makes sense for a business to do so. If you can create a design that delivers the specifications you had laid out. but with the minimum that you will need to reach those specifications, then you are increasing your margins on each product sold. AMD could very much not design such overkill and increase their margins. So from a business standpoint, I don't understand why they would go for overkill. But from a consumer standpoint, I do see your point.

Their profit is our loss in this case.

I'm not saying that every GPU needs to have a power delivery design comparable to an MSI Lightning or EVGA Classified, but I think that something comparable to what AMD offers would be desirable. It's possible to have good margins and design a solid PCB. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It also makes using a third party PCB a must.

They have basically left no margin. In the case of the GTX 570, the Mosfets were known to blow at stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

What good is a 600A power framework on a 110 watt gpu? Is it compensatorially built-in for temperature gradation losses/wear-and-tear over time?

A power delivery with some margins for more power is a win. The VRMs run cooler and this can be good during the life of the GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivon View Post

TH did test the MSI 390X Gaming :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-390x-r9-380-r7-370,4178-9.html

Ecept the spikes on PCIe, motherboard 12v is really good. 480X consumes 2X more than 390X on MB 12v.

Imo, how MSI has designed their power delivery on GPUs is pretty solid.

Nowhere near the 75W, even on spikes.

I"d imagine that their other custom series boards like the Hawk are similar. I'm hoping to see a rx 480 Hawk (or a 480 refresh with 16 RBEs).

Bottom line: Wait for custom AIB GPUs.

Quote:

Just noticed that my MB has a OC-PEG connector. What is the use for it? Will this connector save my PCIE slots?

From Gigabyte's marketing:

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/microsite/304/images/oc-features.html
Quote:
OC-PEG

OC-PEG provides two onboard SATA power connectors that provide more stable PCIe power when using 3-way and 4-way graphics configurations. Each connector uses power from a different phase of the power supply, helping to provide a better, more stable graphics overclock. The independent power inputs for the PCIe slots helps to improve even single graphics card overclocking. For 4-way CrossFireX™, users must install OC-PEG to avoid over current in the 24pin ATX connector.

I assume that when there's more than 2 GPUs, that probably draws more current from the 24-pin connector on motherboards so the OC PEG provides some relief because it adds a second source of power.

Most high end boards have some similar feature - for mine it's molex, but same idea. Others are PCIe power connectors.
post #740 of 1129 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 09:21 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 778 (Unique: 446)
Quote:

it may save the slots connects IF ohm's law tries to kill them.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in